Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just trade all our young solid players before they hit FA.

All those draft picks and comp picks..... And no roster!

Whether people want to admit it or not I have always believed this team is rebuilding- and if there is anything I have learned as a Bills fan is that your rebuild does not start until you get your QB- just like a previous post mentioned, get the QB and the rest falls into place

You have to stay healthy to be good, and as of late...Watkins hasn't been healthy. Bottom line is he hasn't produced lately.

We are at a point where we have to decide whether to pay a guy who has shown to not stay on the field, and we are also a run first team that doesn't have a QB who can truly utilize a player of Sammys ability.

Getting another first round receiver on a rookie deal to grow with the next QB could work out much better than keeping Watkins at a high price while he underperforms due to the QB and possibly continues dealing with injuries (and the foot could be a long term problem).

I am a huge Watkins fan, but there is a case to be made that moving on from him and getting a good return makes some sense...especially if you look at where this team is now.

^^^^ Yeah, basically what Crusher said

Dumb if true. Billsy.

My prediction, if they trade Watkins for a pick they will use that pick for a.... WR or RB. Billsy. 👍🏻

I know this will incite quite a response - but I would be in favor of it, because I just don't think Watkins fits McD's plan for the long-term....I've said it before, if he plays for them this year, I think they move on.

You have to stay healthy to be good, and as of late...Watkins hasn't been healthy. Bottom line is he hasn't produced lately.

We are at a point where we have to decide whether to pay a guy who has shown to not stay on the field, and we are also a run first team that doesn't have a QB who can truly utilize a player of Sammys ability.

Getting another first round receiver on a rookie deal to grow with the next QB could work out much better than keeping Watkins at a high price while he underperforms due to the QB and possibly continues dealing with injuries (and the foot could be a long term problem).

I am a huge Watkins fan, but there is a case to be made that moving on from him and getting a good return makes some sense...especially if you look at where this team is now.

I agree. You can't get into the HoF while sitting out injured all the time.

Whether people want to admit it or not I have always believed this team is rebuilding- and if there is anything I have learned as a Bills fan is that your rebuild does not start until you get your QB- just like a previous post mentioned, get the QB and the rest falls into place

I doubt these guys would know a QB if they walked up and tapped us on the shoulder. I am starting to think Tyrod will be brought back in 2018.

Edited by jeffismagic

I know this will incite quite a response - but I would be in favor of it, because I just don't think Watkins fits McD's plan for the long-term....I've said it before, if he plays for them this year, I think they move on.

Jason Peters didn't fit in Jauron's plan either.........and he's still playing at a high level on his way to the HOF.

Marshawn Lynch didn't fit Chan Gailey's long term vision..........well, you get my point..........both those HC failures are out to pasture.

The over/under on McDermott is 3 seasons.

Sammy probably more like 9 more seasons.

Not sure when you guys are going to stop swallowing the hook from yet another cowboy HC with a big hat and no cattle.

Let them PROVE something for a change.

Number one asset a HC can have is being able to marry his systems to the talent in place.........drastic roster re-shaping has a near 100% fail rate........prove something too us McDermott and THEN MAYBE you can start disposing of the star players.

It would be massively stupid to get rid of Sammy but then again not picking up his option completely defied logic as well. Without question, even for the Sammy haters, it 100% diminished his trade value. So NOW you're going to trade him.....and expect sub-Brandin Cooks compensation? OMFG would that be stupid. I like a lot of what the new guys have done but don't understand their irrational emotional aversion to Watkins. It is bizarre.

Edited by 4merper4mer

How is this a bad plan. I would trade him for a second IN a SECOND! He is a bit of a head case, who can't stay on the field, who's contract is coming up. He barely cracked 1,000 years once in 3 years.

Apparently he is the most over valued player on this team by the fans.

About the source of this article:

Thank you for taking the time to learn more about Sports Talk 360 Website.

Sports Talk 360 is a privately run website run by a couple of lads who love their Rugby League, Australian Rules Football and NFL. The Sports Talk 360 team are a dedicated couple of lads who seek to bring you all the News and Rumours in the world of Rugby League.

We encourage you to get involved by leaving comments on our site and interacting with us.

We want your views whether you agree or disagree with us Good old banter between League fans is the whole point of this site. Thats the beauty of League everyone has an opinion and we are just as passionate as you!

Happy Memorial Day, Sammy isn't going anywhere this year except maybe IR.

It would be massively stupid to get rid of Sammy but then again not picking up his option completely defied logic as well. Without question, even for the Sammy haters, it 100% diminished his trade value. So NOW you're going to trade him.....and expect sub-Brandin Cooks compensation? OMFG would that be stupid. I like a lot of what the new guys have done but don't understand their irrational emotional aversion to Watkins. It is bizarre.

i am far from a sammy hater. i actually like him a lot. how i feel about what was given up to get him is irrelevant. he is a game changer when healthy and motivated, and i think he really wants to be one of the best ever. but does he want to be a buffalo bill? if the answer is yes, then do what it takes (within reason) to keep him. if not, then get the best possible value while you can.

Jason Peters didn't fit in Jauron's plan either.........and he's still playing at a high level on his way to the HOF.

Marshawn Lynch didn't fit Chan Gailey's long term vision..........well, you get my point..........both those HC failures are out to pasture.

The over/under on McDermott is 3 seasons.

Sammy probably more like 9 more seasons.

Not sure when you guys are going to stop swallowing the hook from yet another cowboy HC with a big hat and no cattle.

Let them PROVE something for a change.

Number one asset a HC can have is being able to marry his systems to the talent in place.........drastic roster re-shaping has a near 100% fail rate........prove something too us McDermott and THEN MAYBE you can start disposing of the star players.

My fear is that he's like a more Christian version of Josh McDaniels... his brief time in Buffalo will be cited repeatedly as his "learning experience" as he preps for his second go-round... just a fear, not a prediction. But this draft and stories like this one have me very spooked. My dad is going to die before this franchise gets things right, at this rate.

Totally agree on all accounts

How is this a bad plan. I would trade him for a second IN a SECOND! He is a bit of a head case, who can't stay on the field, who's contract is coming up. He barely cracked 1,000 years once in 3 years.

Apparently he is the most over valued player on this team by the fans.

I don't usually say this: this post is insane.

Sorry guys this one's on me. I bought his jersey. Stupid stupid stupid. Shoulda known better. If we trade him im done buying anyones jersey anymore. It's like my own personal Madden curse. Or maybe i'll put this curse to good and buy a Brady jersey....

Totally.

What I continue to fail to understand is that people keep thinking this is the 90's NFL...take a look at the Super Bowl contenders and winners over the last 5-7 years. UDFA and late round Drafted WRs....it takes a really good to great QB, solid play elsewhere, i.e offensive line or defensive line play etc. and the RBs and WRs tend to be role players. So, yeah - I'm good with it to get more important positions as a whole given better talent such as Center that is going to be a real issue next year or DE...

About the source of this article:

Thank you for taking the time to learn more about Sports Talk 360 Website.

Sports Talk 360 is a privately run website run by a couple of lads who love their Rugby League, Australian Rules Football and NFL. The Sports Talk 360 team are a dedicated couple of lads who seek to bring you all the News and Rumours in the world of Rugby League.

We encourage you to get involved by leaving comments on our site and interacting with us.

We want your views whether you agree or disagree with us Good old banter between League fans is the whole point of this site. Thats the beauty of League everyone has an opinion and we are just as passionate as you!

Happy Memorial Day, Sammy isn't going anywhere this year except maybe IR.

:lol: I thought sports talk 360 was some radio station

What I continue to fail to understand is that people keep thinking this is the 90's NFL...take a look at the Super Bowl contenders and winners over the last 5-7 years. UDFA and late round Drafted WRs....it takes a really good to great QB, solid play elsewhere, i.e offensive line or defensive line play etc. and the RBs and WRs tend to be role players. So, yeah - I'm good with it to get more important positions as a whole given better talent such as Center that is going to be a real issue next year or DE...

Julio Jones.

We didn't trade away two first round picks and a fourth for Sammy. We traded away one first round pick in the deal. We used one to draft him.

Calm down, K-9. Of those that didn't get it the 1st time, some may never get it.

I'd trade Sammy for a 1st. When we didn't pick up his option IMO that made it very unlikely he ultimately re-signs here. I agree anyone we get with a 1st round pick is not likely to be as good as Sammy (injuries and all), but I'd rather get a 1st round pick back than nothing at all next year (or the year after if we franchise him for a year first). A 2nd round pick isn't good enough given that we'd get a 3rd round Comp pick anyway (if the Bills don't waste it again) and have Sammy on the team for 2017.

it is but a rumor, and we have no idea what kind of factors are involved here...injuries, attitude, family, finances? i am kinda thinking of it like hockey, don't want to lose him for nothing.

Injury. I said it when they didn't pick up his option. That was the first step in the Bills moving in from Watkins.

Gilmore is a good player........but he's a flawed, one-trick pony, who has had consistent injury issues over a longer period than Sammy. SG might make a few pro bowls but he will never be great.

Watkins is a potential HOF talent........he's more in that elite Jason Peters category in terms of potential.......in that he could become the league's very best WR for a period of his career. Only 23 years old.

This and the Marshawn Lynch and Dareus and Kouandjio situations should be red-flags for future picks though.........think long and hard about drafting 20 year old kids from the south and CA and plopping them in white suburban Buffalo.......lotta' culture shock and they aren't mature enough to handle it......expecially because they've been getting fast tracked.............those extra couple years make a big difference when contract time comes up.

You're high. Gilmore has been a more producer player than Watkins. Gilmore was a high quality corner that played at a Pro Bowl level the entire time he was playing press zone. Watkins has flashed at a top 5 talent level - which is what enamours so many - but he hasn't produced. His best seasons have been at a good level.

We didn't trade away two first round picks and a fourth for Sammy. We traded away one first round pick in the deal. We used one to draft him.

That's ridiculous. We gave up two firsts and a fourth to draft him. Everyone understands that. Well, almost everyone. Edited by BarleyNY

It would be a bold move.

Could be a homerun if he still battles the injury bug. Also though, could turn out to be a Lynch 2.0 trade.

It would be crazy having 3 first rounders next year though...

Let's trade him to the Pats. Then we can see him kick our ass twice a year.

I think the Bills have backed themselves in a bit of a corner here because they did not pick up his option. This means if Sammy has a great season, we will need to franchise him since his contract will be up, which will be very expensive generally and in terms of cap space. Add the uncertainty of how Sammy feels about not having his option exercised (or playing in Buffalo) and you may have situation where he will not want to sign a long-term deal with the Bills.

There are a lot of unknowns with Sammy, including his health for this season and after. I do not know if it is the right move, but you certainly can make the argument that getting a first round pick for Sammy would be appropriate value for Sammy under the current circumstances.

How?

Don't trade him, let him earn a pay day next year and pay him or franchise him. If he bitches and mopes about being here then fine his ass until he shows.

Letting the player hold all the cards is what this franchise has done so many times throughout the drought. It's pathetic.

So in your infinite wisdom your plan is to pay about 15 million a year for an injured reciever or get in a fight with him and fine him?

Sounds reasonable.

Injury. I said it when they didn't pick up his option. That was the first step in the Bills moving in from Watkins.

You're high. Gilmore has been a more producer player than Watkins. Gilmore was a high quality corner that played at a Pro Bowl level the entire time he was playing press zone. Watkins has flashed at a top 5 talent level - which is what enamours so many - but he hasn't produced. His best seasons have been at a good level.

That's ridiculous. We gave up two firsts and a fourth to draft him. Everyone understands that. Well, almost everyo

I'm ending this once and for all. We used a 1st round pick to draft Sammy. We traded away a 1st and a 4th to move up in order to be able to draft him. In other words, 1st + 1st + 4th = two 1st(s) and a 4th. Ta da!

If true they are idiots

I actually LOVE Sammy (or at least his potential). BUT, if they have questions about him, and want to load up ammo to get a QB next draft, do you not consider the benefits of 3 first round picks? With a great QB we can find the WR's. I could go either way, but see the benefit of looking into strong offers.

I'd trade Sammy for a 1st. When we didn't pick up his option IMO that made it very unlikely he ultimately re-signs here. I agree anyone we get with a 1st round pick is not likely to be as good as Sammy (injuries and all), but I'd rather get a 1st round pick back than nothing at all next year (or the year after if we franchise him for a year first). A 2nd round pick isn't good enough given that we'd get a 3rd round Comp pick anyway (if the Bills don't waste it again) and have Sammy on the team for 2017.

If we can get a first round pick for him it would indicate that the franchise is clueless. If we are trying to dump him why would other teams view him as a first rounder? We gave up the sun and moon to get him. Letting him go would indicate that we think he's a bust. Teams don't give up first round picks for busts. It would mean that league consensus is that he still has elite potential. Why would we let him go if other teams still believe in him? It would be another case of the Bills thinking they are smarter than everyone else.

I actually LOVE Sammy (or at least his potential). BUT, if they have questions about him, and want to load up ammo to get a QB next draft, do you not consider the benefits of 3 first round picks? With a great QB we can find the WR's. I could go either way, but see the benefit of looking into strong offers.

Just not buying it, Sammy CAN be a top 20-30 player in the league. You don't deal those guys, you use them.

Just not buying it, Sammy CAN be a top 20-30 player in the league. You don't deal those guys, you use them.

I have to say, I do LOVE the guy. But I'll freely admit he's quick to duck or step OB. He's too talented for his pathetic YAC. Putting him in a contract year may show what he's made of. Prove it time.

There's obviously some price it makes sense at but if it's low first or something Day 2, kirbys right

And since they decided not to do the option to give that team two years control they diminished sammys trade value

And if they want to push for the playoffs and figure out Tyrod and they waited till next year to reap the rewards of the compensation then their strategies are all over the board and not meshing. If it's all gathering resources for a qb, cost he damned the best thing they could've done was trade Tyrod, right?