Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

Trading Watkins now would be the definition of buy high and sell low. After a statistically poor season and injury rehab at present the return on any trade would be pretty poor. To me it would be better to hang on to Watkins, let him heal up, and play the season in a Bills uniform. Maybe he has a monster season? Then you go into the off season and the draft, franchise him, then either sign him long term or trade him for a lot more than you'd get now. Win/win either way. If he's a bust this year then my approach has some flaws but I'd be willing to roll the dice on the upside outcome here.

I don't think the Bills will need 3 1st rounders to move into a spot to select a potential franchise QB in the 2018 draft. My expectation is their record will be bad enough for them to slide into a top 5 slot by themselves. While It would be agonizing to watch the upside to future contention would be worth it. I also think the KC 1st rounder is going to be much lower (15-18) than most experts think. Their schedule is pretty tough too and many games on the schedule could go either way.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb if true. Billsy.

My prediction, if they trade Watkins for a pick they will use that pick for a.... WR or RB. Billsy. 👍🏻

Yeah...then he will go on to have a Julio Jones career elsewhere and we will look like idiots.

+1. Have to doubt this happening, as teams need only wait until FA if Sammy has just an OK season, as Bills will not franchise him in that scenario. If Sammy has a great season, trade is still possible as Bills will want a #1 now or then. Helluva risk to trade for him now sight unseen.

this actually makes the most sense of anything posted so far.

Dumb if true. Billsy.

My prediction, if they trade Watkins for a pick they will use that pick for a.... WR or RB. Billsy.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's what the site is for but you really need some new material.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the Bills organization know a heck of a lot more about Sammy's medical issues than people on this board do. There's been a lot of smoke (declining the 5th year option, this report) about the Bills moving on from Sammy and just maybe they know something that we don't.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the Bills organization know a heck of a lot more about Sammy's medical issues than people on this board do. There's been a lot of smoke (declining the 5th year option, this report) about the Bills moving on from Sammy and just maybe they know something that we don't.

i think the report from this article is bs

this is flat out ridiculous but i wouldn't doubt it could happen. new regime wants to build their team their way and through the draft. it may also make sense if his foot is such a chronic injury that he may never have the capability to live up to expectations again. he can be such a powerful weapon if used properly and alongside another legitimate receiving threat the way dennison's offense has worked in the past. jettison sammy and there goes half of the plan- unless he is truly damaged goods. i guess we shall see.....

There's obviously some price it makes sense at but if it's low first or something Day 2, kirbys right

And since they decided not to do the option to give that team two years control they diminished sammys trade value

And if they want to push for the playoffs and figure out Tyrod and they waited till next year to reap the rewards of the compensation then their strategies are all over the board and not meshing. If it's all gathering resources for a qb, cost he damned the best thing they could've done was trade Tyrod, right?

But who would trade Sammy for, say....the chance to pick Darnold? That's the way I'd have to look at it. And it will never happen, so......

It would be a terrible idea, and pretty strong evidence that our new administration is clueless. If they were going to trade Watkins, they should have done it before the draft and before they declined the year five option. Now he has less value to a potential trading partner.

Edited by mannc

Dez Bryant had these same injuries and Cowboys signed him to huge long term deal.

That's what good teams do. Skill needs to be recognized and eventually injuries will go away.

That's completely wrong. The only significant injury that Dez Bryant had prior to signing his big deal was a broken ankle his rookie season (2010). He signed his deal before the 2015 season and promptly started piling up the foot and leg issues that have plagued him the last two seasons. There's no chance that he'd have gotten a contract even remotely close to his current deal if those injuries had happened before his deal was negotiated.

Jason Peters didn't fit in Jauron's plan either.........and he's still playing at a high level on his way to the HOF.

Marshawn Lynch didn't fit Chan Gailey's long term vision..........well, you get my point..........both those HC failures are out to pasture.

The over/under on McDermott is 3 seasons.

Sammy probably more like 9 more seasons.

Not sure when you guys are going to stop swallowing the hook from yet another cowboy HC with a big hat and no cattle.

Let them PROVE something for a change.

Number one asset a HC can have is being able to marry his systems to the talent in place.........drastic roster re-shaping has a near 100% fail rate........prove something too us McDermott and THEN MAYBE you can start disposing of the star players.

This should have ende the thread.

Dumb if true. Billsy.

My prediction, if they trade Watkins for a pick they will use that pick for a.... WR or RB. Billsy. 👍🏻

Taking a rumor from a site no one's heard of and inflating it into a ridiculous negative against the Bills. How scottlawsy.

It would be a terrible idea, and pretty strong evidence that our new administration is clueless. If they were going to trade Watkins, they should have done it before the draft and before they declined the year five option. Now he has less value to a potential trading partner.

That's a good point about the option. Cooks had his picked up whiched helped his value. A team would want to negotiate a long term deal as part of any trade for Watson now that it's declined. I don't see a trade happening, but I'd jump at the chance to get a late 1st or early 2nd for Watkins. That'll be way more than we'll get as a comp pick when he walks next offseason. We can get our 6-8 wins this season with or without him on the field for 6-12 games.

I thought his option should've been picked up, but it wasn't. Like it or not, this regime is moving on from him. If they can get something significant for him while doing so, then great. Again, I don't see it happening, but I'd jump at the chance to get real value for him.

Yeah, I don't see it happening either, but my point is there is always a price, and the QB is the most important piece. Again, I do LOVE what Sammy can bring to the table!

But at the same time, when does anyone EVER say we traded our first round pick for Shaq Lawson, or we traded our first round pick for Marcel Dareus? Never. You say we took Shaq with our first round pick or we took Dareus with our first round pick.

So techinically in Sammy's case it does make sense to say we traded a first and a fourth to take Sammy with our first round pick. At least that is the way I see since the 4th overall is better than the 8th overall. Now, if we moved back from 8th to 12th (downgrading our first pick) and also gave up another 1st and 4th round picks then it would make a little more sense.

But I'm fine with however anyone wants to say it really.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

That's a good point about the option. Cooks had his picked up whiched helped his value. A team would want to negotiate a long term deal as part of any trade for Watson now that it's declined. I don't see a trade happening, but I'd jump at the chance to get a late 1st or early 2nd for Watkins. That'll be way more than we'll get as a comp pick when he walks next offseason. We can get our 6-8 wins this season with or without him on the field for 6-12 games.

I thought his option should've been picked up, but it wasn't. Like it or not, this regime is moving on from him. If they can get something significant for him while doing so, then great. Again, I don't see it happening, but I'd jump at the chance to get real value for him.

Like it or not, your statement that they are moving on from him is unfounded. They want to make sure he plays well post injury and if so they offer him a new deal. Just as rational if not more so than assuming they're moving on.