Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

But why would you want to trade him now ? Yes we can get soemthing back from him now, for a pick who may or turn out to be decent.

I had argued against the Bills picking up his option because of financial considerations and a 'lets see about that foot' this year. For the same reason, I strongly think that we need to absolutely keep him for this season. Many reasons:

His foot may finally be fixed and he will play like the stud that he is

The compensation may or may not result in a 'worth it' player

We will become woefully short on WR and put TT + the new staff in a very bad situation to start

It will be foolish to trade him now.

Why not trade him? Are we going to the super bowl or something? He's not coming back next year so get something for him. Once he becomes a free agent then teams will be battling it out to sign him. If a team wants him this year on his rookie deal then they would be smart to get him now rather than compete with every team in the league trying to sign him next year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not trade him? Are we going to the super bowl or something? He's not coming back next year so get something for him. Once he becomes a free agent then teams will be battling it out to sign him. If a team wants him this year on his rookie deal then they would be smart to get him now rather than compete with every team in the league trying to sign him next year.

If he plays well why would he become a FA?

but does he want to be a buffalo bill? if the answer is yes, then do what it takes (within reason) to keep him. if not, then get the best possible value while you can.

Given the fact that we didn't pick up the option on him I wouldn't be surprised at all if his mind is drifting off to other possibilities. That would be expected from any player at this point. Just bad management once again.

Is Mac n Beans floating this flatulent rumor to get trade offers? Smart move. They are working on their way to be the next forgettable tandem in sorry-ass Bills coach/GM history. They are already so bland and unremarkable with the job. Imagine trying to remember them when they are gone.

Is Mac n Beans floating this flatulent rumor to get trade offers? Smart move. They are working on their way to be the next forgettable tandem in sorry-ass Bills coach/GM history. They are already so bland and unremarkable with the job. Imagine trying to remember them when they are gone.

. It is a rumor on a rugby website. You people have lost your collective minds.

If he plays well why would he become a FA?

Because he doesn't want to play here, why else would they be shopping him. I'm not in favor of franchise tagging someone who doesn't want to be here

. It is a rumor on a rugby website. You people have lost your collective minds.

Sammy is being traded to a rugby team? Let's see if JLC runs with it on the tweet machine!

Btw Belichik would so love him if he played rugby too. Mix in a little LAX and he's ready to trade 2 1's.

Edited by YoloinOhio

But at the same time, when does anyone EVER say we traded our first round pick for Shaq Lawson, or we traded our first round pick for Marcel Dareus? Never. You say we took Shaq with our first round pick or we took Dareus with our first round pick.

So techinically in Sammy's case it does make sense to say we traded a first and a fourth to take Sammy with our first round pick. At least that is the way I see since the 4th overall is better than the 8th overall. Now, if we moved back from 8th to 12th (downgrading our first pick) and also gave up another 1st and 4th round picks then it would make a little more sense.

But I'm fine with however anyone wants to say it really.

Because we didn't trade either of those picks.

The trade was two first round picks. It was #8 and 2015 1st for #4. We traded two firsts and a fourth for pick #4. Which was then used to take Sammy. Ergo, we used our first round pick in 2014, and our first round pick in 2015, to move up to draft Sammy with the first we received.

If you want to say we only net lost a single first rounder because we moved up, I get it. But the trade was two firsts and a 4th for a first.

Edited by jmc12290

Because he doesn't want to play here, why else would they be shopping him. I'm not in favor of franchise tagging someone who doesn't want to be here

Why doesn't he want to play here? I guess I didn't know that. I've never seen, read or heard that.

Either way, it's not his choice. They will tag him if he has a good year if they can't extend him sooner.

I was a big fan of drafting Watkins.

With that said, since I don't see him being on the field enough next year to justify a contract extension. I'd be a big fan of getting some compensation for Mr. Glass as opposed to letting him walk in free agency next year for nothing.

Now THAT would be a Billsy thing to do.

If we've learned anything from the Pats it's to get something for your players while you can.

Do I see us actually trading him, no. But I believe with the players history it's the wise thing to do in this scenario.

Edited by likei've

Trading Watkins doesn't help get a QB. Unless you're trying to tank. If you tank do it right and don't have Sean Jauron his way to 6 or 7 wins.

It doesn't? The Bills would have 3 first round picks at their disposal next season. Plus future picks and whatever other picks next year for ammo.

Why doesn't he want to play here? I guess I didn't know that. I've never seen, read or heard that.

Either way, it's not his choice. They will tag him if he has a good year if they can't extend him sooner.

Since no one will offer us what he's worth (a very early first rounder), the best case is he has a great year and we have at least the threat of the tag to get a long term deal done. I would trade him for a shot at a franchise QB, but that will never happen.

It doesn't? The Bills would have 3 first round picks at their disposal next season. Plus future picks and whatever other picks next year for ammo.

I don't see a first rounder for Watkins since he only has a year left on his contract. But two firsts and two seconds would go a long way, imo.

Since no one will offer us what he's worth (a very early first rounder), the best case is he has a great year and we have at least the threat of the tag to get a long term deal done. I would trade him for a shot at a franchise QB, but that will never happen.

A reciever that can't be counted on to finish out a game is worth an early first?

Not sure I agree with that at all. Pretty sure the other 31 gms wouldn't agree with that either.

Edited by likei've

Notice I said "IF they trade him".

And get mad at me all you want, but how can you deny this wouldn't be a typical Bills move to trade Watkins?

Typical Bills move would be to keep him and let him walk via free agency.

How many past first round picks have we traded in their last year of their contract to back up your claim?

Edited by likei've

How is this a bad plan. I would trade him for a second IN a SECOND! He is a bit of a head case, who can't stay on the field, who's contract is coming up. He barely cracked 1,000 years once in 3 years.

Apparently he is the most over valued player on this team by the fans.

Go look at Julio Jones stats the first 3 years in the league and the comparisons are startling...nearly identical numbers and the same foot injury...

It astounds me that there are still Bills fans out there that don't want to use the franchise tag on players that "don't want to be here".

How many people on this board work in places they don't want to be and would love to come home to Buffalo if given the same career opportunity?

Or how many live in sunny locations and don't want to be in Buffalo despite their fanhood?

The draft itself, the salary cap and the franchise tag are tools specifically in place to FORCE competitive balance by protecting teams like Buffalo against players not wanting to be there.

If you don't want to use the franchise tag then you shouldn't approve of the draft of the cap either.

how do u know he doesnt want to be here, and who said they are shopping him besides this bs article