Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

I'm not just saying this because most of it happens to coincide with my own beliefs.

This is one hell of a post.

Agreed it was a good post.

One of the things I am really wondering about is if Sammy should have been playing last year at all......he goes on the field and gets "stepped on" reaggrivating it? Really? THIS IS FOOTBALL

I wonder if coaches pushed him onto the field instead of looking out for Watkins well being.....and Sammy's competative nature egged it along......and the result was a player that had to come on and off the field .......he should be lauded as a gutty player who played hurt for us and instead he is being called soft and a malcontent....probably the exact opposite of what he was trying to accomplish.

JESUS was I wrong about Rex Ryan.....I was WRONG I will scream it from the highest mountain

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed it was a good post.

One of the things I am really wondering about is if Sammy should have been playing last year at all......he goes on the field and gets "stepped on" reaggrivating it? Really? THIS IS FOOTBALL

I wonder if coaches pushed him onto the field instead of looking out for Watkins well being.....and Sammy's competative nature egged it along......and the result was a player that had to come on and off the field .......he should be lauded as a gutty player who played hurt for us and instead he is being called soft and a malcontent....probably the exact opposite of what he was trying to accomplish.

JESUS was I wrong about Rex Ryan.....I was WRONG I will scream it from the highest mountain

I'm glad you've come around!

Yea I don't know.... What's the point of keeping good, young players on your roster when you can get more draft picks?

I love having Sammy if he is healthy and utilized. A franchise QB is more important. The Bills could have stayed put and drafted Derek Carr instead of Sammy for instance. I would much rather have Derek Carr than Sammy Watkins. Will the next QB class have a franchise QB the Bills can nab? I have no idea. Without trying they will never get one. Without making moves they will never get one.

The league is full of receivers that out produce Watkins. Having expensive players all over the roster hurts more than it helps. Would I like to keep him? Sure would. We don't know the full story behind the scenes though. We don't know that he is healthy and will remain healthy or if his foot problems will be a problem for a while. Paying high salaries to football players that cant be used is not how you win a championship. We also don't know that he will sign here. Sure we could keep him this year and next but if he still doesn't want to sign here what is the point? So we can watch him struggle to put up Stevie Johnson numbers for two more years?

Edited by Scott7975

You're going with feelings over facts. 29 of 32 games played before last season with excellent production. Hell even in last season's 2nd Miami game he was a huge factor. No reason to believe he won't bounce back from the Jones fracture now that he's had the 2nd procedure.

That doesn't account for the games he left at half with aggravations, etc.

He has been elite when on the field. The numbers on a per target basis have been on here 100 times. When he is thrown the ball he is right there with the best players in the league. He is capable of that which 95% of the receivers in the league aren't. You can't kick that to the curb. You have to hope that he gets healthy because elite talents don't grow on trees.

depends on what they know about that foot doesn't it.

and maybe they just don't think he fits in the new mold ?

and heck yes we hope he gets healthy and kicks a** !

Cite the games or go home.

There have certainly been a couple he didn't finish or limped through. It's not fair to pretend otherwise and not always the easiest stat to track down.

The one he hurt his leg on the TD catch -- Cincy maybe? A Miami game once upon a time.

depends on what they know about that foot doesn't it.

and maybe they just don't think he fits in the new mold ?

and heck yes we hope he gets healthy and kicks a** !

One would think a team trading a first and extending him would put that foot through a pretty thorough check.

One would think a team trading a first and extending him would put that foot through a pretty thorough check.

I agree but there have been circumstances where a team is willing to roll the dice a bit.

I mean this offer is while Sammy is still not on the field

You're going with feelings over facts. 29 of 32 games played before last season with excellent production. Hell even in last season's 2nd Miami game he was a huge factor. No reason to believe he won't bounce back from the Jones fracture now that he's had the 2nd procedure.

That's debatable. Ignoring the games he's missed, he has not been a great player even when on the field. The first two seasons were pretty similar, barely cracking the top 50 for receptions and top 25 in yards.

Clearly he shows flashes of superb talent, but we've yet to get the kind of consistent production expected of a top WR. I'm hoping he can put it together this year, but at this stage in his career he's accomplished less than Lee Evans (who also had the QB limitations).

Edited by KD in CA

Miami #1 2015.

Bengals 2015.

Jets #2 2016.

For starters.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Stop embarrassing yourself and deal with the facts.

2014 - % of offensive snaps/game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00/fantasy/2014

2015 - % of offensive snaps/game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00/fantasy/2015

2016 - % of offensive snaps/game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00/fantasy/2016

That's debatable. Ignoring the games he's missed, he has not been a great player even when on the field. The first two seasons were pretty similar, barely cracking the top 50 for receptions and top 25 in yards.

Clearly he shows flashes of superb talent, but we've yet to get the kind of consistent production expected of a top WR. I'm hoping he can put it together this year, but at this stage in his career he's accomplished less than Lee Evans.

The real measure is his production based upon the number of targets.

Like it or not, your statement that they are moving on from him is unfounded. They want to make sure he plays well post injury and if so they offer him a new deal. Just as rational if not more so than assuming they're moving on.

Wrong. 15 first round picks from the 2013 draft didn't have their 5th year options picked up or their contract extended prior to needing to pick it up. Zero are with the team that drafted them. Ditto 10 in 2012 and none were still with their team in year 5. Ditto 2011 draft with 0 for 10. That was the first season for fifth year options. So no team has ever declined a 5th year option and retained the player.

(I included players that were cut or out of the league with those that had their options declined.)

Edited by BarleyNY

2014 - % of offensive snaps/game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00/fantasy/2014

2015 - % of offensive snaps/game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00/fantasy/2015

2016 - % of offensive snaps/game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00/fantasy/2016

You asked for cited games he left at half. All 3. 45% of snaps in Jags 2016.

Wrap yourself in that "29/32 except for 2016" stat harder.

I could also see Sammy wanting to showcase his skills in a real passing offense with a great QB as well to up his stock. His injuries have had a negative impact as well, but a better QB gets more out of Watkins when he is on the field.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's looking forward to free agency, and if that's the case...it makes sense to get ahead of it now and get what you can.

Watkins leaving will sting as much as any player in recent memory...I had huge hopes, and l9ve his talent. I hope things turn out as good as they can for the team.

I mean that has about a half dozen games that he missed semi substantial snaps in on top of the games fully missed.

I love Sammy and I'm not particularly concerned about injury but it has been an issue

I mean that has about a half dozen games that he missed semi substantial snaps in on top of the games fully missed.

I love Sammy and I'm not particularly concerned about injury but it has been an issue

No doubt he's been nicked in certain games, but to obsess over it makes no sense to me.