Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

H2o referred to a tank job after 0-4 as if the Bills would start trading and benching key players in order to tank. Not the kind of mindset I see McDermott and Beane adopting.

....could see Goodell smiling as he handed out the "Tank Job Of The Year" trophy at Pro Bowl halftime.....along with a $25 million dollar fine...............

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't. Those teams (TB and TEN) were already terrible and Indy was nothing when Manning went out. Not the same scenario for the Bills.

Kyle Williams says shame on you!

If we trade one of our top 2-3 talents prior to the season for a resource next year (expressly to replace the guy at the most important position this year) it's hard to make the case that we are really going after it this year. If we hit October winless... well... one might argue we aren't a good team either.

I think more players than you want to admit would be tossing the towel in at 0-4 unless they expected to be real contenders and had some dumb luck to land winless

And remember, 0-4 is really like 0-6 because we would still have to play the Pats twice in December...so any bad start is really a lot worse than it sounds.

People seem to be pretty down on a second rounder as compensation.

I'd rather take my chance on another Zay Jones or Robert Woods whom may or may not be available for most of their games than a guy that history has proven cant be.

Even when Sammy started a game it was hard to believe he'd finish it.

People seem to be pretty down on a second rounder as compensation.

I'd rather take my chance on another Zay Jones or Robert Woods whom may or may not be available for most of their games than a guy that history has proven cant be.

Even when Sammy started a game it was hard to believe he'd finish it.

You NEVER trade an elite talent for a solid starter. You don't trade Sammy Watkins for Robert Woods. There are only a certain amount of guys on each team in the league that can win a game. A QB, stud RB, stud WR, and a pass rusher. You never trade one of those guys for a contributor.

If we trade one of our top 2-3 talents prior to the season for a resource next year (expressly to replace the guy at the most important position this year) it's hard to make the case that we are really going after it this year. If we hit October winless... well... one might argue we aren't a good team either.

Imo, the hidden elephant in the room is that we aren't really going for it this year...but McD has to say we are so he doesn't lose the team in his first year, and also to see what he has on the team, and what he will need next offseason...the truth is more likely to be that he probably realizes it is a long shot this year and will plan for the future as much as possible, while trying to keep everyone on board.

Edited by JaCrispy

You NEVER trade an elite talent for a solid starter. You don't trade Sammy Watkins for Robert Woods. There are only a certain amount of guys on each team in the league that can win a game. A QB, stud RB, stud WR, and a pass rusher. You never trade one of those guys for a contributor.

To be elite you have to contribute.

Sammy may have elite skills but he's certainly not elite. Not yet.

Trading one of our top 2-3 talents to a contender isn't going to make that happen. They'd need to go beyond that IMO. Love these May-June discussions spurred on by neverheardofthem360. They must be loving the extra clicks.

Imo, the hidden elephant in the room is that we aren't really going for it this year...but McD has to say we are so he doesn't lose the team in his first year, and also to see what he has on the team, and what he will need next offseason...the truth is more likely to be that he probably realizes it is a long shot this year and will plan for the future as much as possible, while trying to keep everyone on board.

Then why have Tyrod and Kyle back? Why sign Hodges to likely start at WLB?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Dumb if true. Billsy.

My prediction, if they trade Watkins for a pick they will use that pick for a.... WR or RB. Billsy.

Not dumb at all. The dumb thing would be not to listen. You can always say no, but if some idiot decides to offer up 2 or 3 #1 picks you should at least be listening.

To be elite you have to contribute.

Sammy may have elite skills but he's certainly not elite. Not yet.

He has been elite when on the field. The numbers on a per target basis have been on here 100 times. When he is thrown the ball he is right there with the best players in the league. He is capable of that which 95% of the receivers in the league aren't. You can't kick that to the curb. You have to hope that he gets healthy because elite talents don't grow on trees.

Exactly......it's a matchup league.

And it's especially the case with Taylor at QB........he NEEDS playmakers.........they make him exponentially more effective.

Maybe a guy like Nate Peterman turns into that kind of Pennington-esque QB that uses 8 different receivers per game to dissect defenses and can't really take full advantage of a superstar WR.......... but Taylor is better off targeting Sammy 12 times per game and spreading the rest around 2-3 other receivers.

The second Dolphins game last year was a graphic depiction of what Taylor does best. I am interested to see how Dennision ties that in with his style of passing game.

Trading one of our top 2-3 talents to a contender isn't going to make that happen. They'd need to go beyond that IMO. Love these May-June discussions spurred on my neverheardofthem360. They must be loving the extra clicks.

Then why have Tyrod and Kyle back? Why sign Hodges to likely start at WLB?

like i said before, Tyrod's money was gonna go to somebody to play QB...so Taylor made sure to make an impression on McD so that he got paid instead other QBs that the Bills were looking at....With Williams, he still has a year left on his contract so it is not like the Bills are bringing him back...Not to mention his leadership is a very valuable commodity to a guy like McD- almost like being a bridge for the younger guys in how things are supposed to be done...With Hodges, I just think it's a case of he will likely start at WLB...but none of these moves screams the Bills are going for it this year- especially when compared to what the Pats have done this offseason....now, that's a team that is going for it.

Edited by JaCrispy

I truly believe bills fan are curse. how many times do we let go of elite talent to start over. The ego of NFL exceutives have destroyed numerous organizations. Every single scout had Sammy rated has the highest WR in that draft class. When healthy his talent is undeniable. if Sammy was to be a free agent he would break the bank. The guy got hurt playing football. Its a violent sport. Dez Brayant and Julio Jones had the same injury. It takes a while to recover, in fact both had two surgery before treatment was completed. Remember when we had Marshawn Lynch, and everyone in buffalo was eager to get rid of him. the guy is probably now going to Canton. If I was Sammy I would pray that they trade me from this organization and fan base. Its a guarantee he will be one of the league best somewhere else. THE BILLS DON'T WANT TO PAY HIM.

Not dumb at all. The dumb thing would be not to listen. You can always say no, but if some idiot decides to offer up 2 or 3 #1 picks you should at least be listening.

This is someone trusting the process.

like i said before, Tyrod's money was gonna go to somebody to play QB...so Taylor made sure to make an impression on McD so that he got paid instead other QBs that the Bills were looking at....With Williams, he still has a year left on his contract so it is not like the Bills are bringing him back...Not to mention his leadership is a very valuable commodity to a guy like McD- almost like being a bridge for the younger guys in how things are supposed to be done...With Hodges, I just think it's a case of he will likely start at WLB...but none of these moves screams the Bills are going for it this year- especially when compared to what the Pats have done this offseason.

They're not in the same position as the Pats from the perspectives of a franchise QB they have in Brady, overall talent, or cap space. Not exactly a fair comparison, but they're doing what they can given certain constraints. We all know they're not championship caliber, but they are not wink wink......trying to be bad.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Of course I know that, I guess you'd have to believe that Watkins will have an injury free year.

That plus of course he'll do his very best on a contract year.

People are very quick to say "dumb" and "stupid" around here. I was always taught that people that have to resort to those types of words just have trouble articulating themselves properly.

Maybe if you opened your mind to other people's points of view you might start seeing things in grey and not so black and white as your opinion seems to be.

in your opinion Watkins will perform well enough to deserve a brand new contract or be tagged.

In my opinion I've never seen anything to believe that's true. Even if he did, it would conveniently be done in a contract year.

If the Bills brass made a move like this I believe they've finally learned a thing or two from past mistakes.

Two differing opinions. Neither have to be "dumb" or "stupid".

Id love if Sammy became our Julio like he was supposed to be. Just have trouble believing it with many Buffalo Bills seasons under my belt.

I'm going off seasons past, you're going off of hope.

I concur with some of the previous posters who believe one can call Watkins elite talent already.

Sammy's injury often requires a second surgery. Afterwards, it is generally not a problem.

I don't think that it is irrational to consider a healthy season a plausible possibility.

I therefore do not conclude that past injuries are clear indicators of the future.

I don't see how either view is other than conjecture based on probability.

I certainly hope this post meets with your rhetorical requirements for awareness of gray areas.

I think more players than you want to admit would be tossing the towel in at 0-4 unless they expected to be real contenders and had some dumb luck to land winless.

JaCrispy, on 28 May 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

And remember, 0-4 is really like 0-6 because we would still have to play the Pats twice in December...so any bad start is really a lot worse than it sounds.

tossing in the towel, 0-6, tanking or better yet

"Imo, the hidden elephant in the room is that we aren't really going for it this year"

not going for it? wtf?

all this negativity brought on by a wr that hasn't been able to stay healthy. sure, when healthy he is a great asset to the team but to talk tank or 0-6 because they may trade him away...smh

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973