Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

tossing in the towel, 0-6, tanking.

all this negativity brought on by a wr that hasn't been able to stay healthy. sure, when healthy he is a great asset to the team but to talk tank or 0-6 because they may trade him away...smh

That's not at all my dynamic in this conversation.

I was discussing a hypothetical not an expectation in the 0-4 and Sammy traded post

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talent is Talent. It doesn't matter if the coaches draft them or inherited them on the roster. If they trade Sammy, why would anyone watch this team next year. Only Bills fan would. Do we trust a first year head coach and GM that much. This would be the dumbest decision in bills history, especially knowing that we can franchise Sammy next year. It would also show that the owners are over their heads.

Talent is Talent. It doesn't matter if the coaches draft them or inherited them on the roster. If they trade Sammy, why would anyone watch this team next year. Only Bills fan would. Do we trust a first year head coach and GM that much. This would be the dumbest decision in bills history, especially knowing that we can franchise Sammy next year. It would also show that the owners are over their heads.

They could throw puppies off a balcony but if they build a contending team in the next 3 years everyone will love and claim to have loved them from day 1.

PLEASE GOD not this again. Please - what do you want, I'm begging you? Is it money that you seek? Sexual favors? My first born child? What will it take for you to go back in time and not write this post? I'll do anything. I can't survive this discussion again.

Haha. It's really easy.

We TRADED two firsts and a fourth but received in return a higher first so it was a net trade of a ONE first and a fourth.

We USED two firsts and a fourth because that's what we used on Sammy. The net loss of the trade and the pick itself.

They're not in the same position as the Pats from the perspectives of a franchise QB they have in Brady, overall talent, or cap space. Not exactly a fair comparison, but they're doing what they can given certain constraints. We all know they're not championship caliber, but they are not wink wink......trying to be bad.

EXACTLY!

This is my point, and this is why it is the perfect comparison, imo...The Bills not being in a similar position as teams like the Pats is exactly why I don't really feel the Bills are going for it this year...the Bills are basically just filling their roster...they are not in position to try and win this year with top acquisitions....they are simply getting bodies that fit the schemes they are running, and then the new FO will access the situation after the season imo....this year is a wash, in which McD and the FO get a pass...next year is when they start building imo. This is a "see what we have" year imo.

Edited by JaCrispy

EXACTLY!

This is my point, and this is why it is the perfect comparison, imo...The Bills not being in a similar position as teams like the Pats is exactly why I don't really feel the Bills are going for it this year...the Bills are basically just filling their roster...they are not in position to try and win this year with top acquisitions....they are simply getting bodies that fit the schemes they are running, and then the new FO will access the situation after the season imo....this year is a wash, in which McD and the FO get a pass...next year is when they start building imo. This is a "see what we have" year imo.

terrible take. what nfl team does not go for it?

so McD holds a meeting just before the season starts and lets all his players know, that in his first year as HC he is sorry to inform them they're not going for it this year?

what a real loser mentality the above post generates and frankly, will not happen simply because coaches and players do not go in to a season with the mind set they're just not going for it.

thought I heard it all but this takes the cake!

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I concur with some of the previous posters who believe one can call Watkins elite talent already.

Sammy's injury often requires a second surgery. Afterwards, it is generally not a problem.

I don't think that it is irrational to consider a healthy season a plausible possibility.

I therefore do not conclude that past injuries are clear indicators of the future.

I don't see how either view is other than conjecture based on probability.

I certainly hope this post meets with your rhetorical requirements for awareness of gray areas.

It has. It was a clear, thougt out, well articulated post.

Just two differing opinions. It's not that I don't think Watkins is a good player and that he can't become an elite player. I just don't trust his feet.

With that said I'd rather get something than nothing when/if he walks away in free agency.

Believe me, I was all about Watkins when we drafted him. I just can't stand having your best player on the sidelines week in and week out.

Same with Dareus. I was on the sign up Dareus train and I have many reservations about that now.

Will Sammy perform, will he stay on the field, if he performs will he keep the motivation after the contract year?

Two many question marks, imo. People don't have to agree, but throwing words like "dumb" and "stupid" around are counterproductive and make for a one sided conversation.

And isn't that all we're having here. Certainly none of us will be responsible for trading/keeping him if and when it ever becomes a reality.

Edited by likei've

It has. It was a clear, thougt out, well articulated post.

Just two differing opinions. It's not that I don't think Watkins is a good player and that he can't become an elite player. I just don't trust his feet.

With that said I'd rather get something than nothing when/if he walks away in free agency.

Believe me, I was all about Watkins when we drafted him. I just can't stand having your best player on the sidelines week in and week out.

Same with Dareus. I was on the sign up Dareus train and I have many reservations about that.

Will Sammy perform, will he stay on the field, if he performs will he keep the motivation after the contract year?

Two many question marks, imo. People don't have to agree, but throwing words like "dumb" around are counterproductive and make for a one sided conversation.

And isn't that all we're having here. Certainly none of us will be responsible for trading if it ever became a reality.

Has this been his predominant history with the Bills?

Has this been his predominant history with the Bills?

In too many big games imo. Plus, even when he did start I never truly believed he'd finish most games.

Too many big plays you look out there and can't find 14.

That's not good when he's the one you need out there the most,

Edited by likei've

In too many big games imo. Plus, even when he did start I never truly believed he'd finish most games.

Too many big plays you look out there and can't find 14.

That's not good when he's the one you need out there the most,

You're going with feelings over facts. 29 of 32 games played before last season with excellent production. Hell even in last season's 2nd Miami game he was a huge factor. No reason to believe he won't bounce back from the Jones fracture now that he's had the 2nd procedure.

Of course I know that, I guess you'd have to believe that Watkins will have an injury free year.

That plus of course he'll do his very best on a contract year.

People are very quick to say "dumb" and "stupid" around here. I was always taught that people that have to resort to those types of words just have trouble articulating themselves properly.

Maybe if you opened your mind to other people's points of view you might start seeing things in grey and not so black and white as your opinion seems to be.

in your opinion Watkins will perform well enough to deserve a brand new contract or be tagged.

In my opinion I've never seen anything to believe that's true. Even if he did, it would conveniently be done in a contract year.

If the Bills brass made a move like this I believe they've finally learned a thing or two from past mistakes.

Two differing opinions. Neither have to be "dumb" or "stupid".

Id love if Sammy became our Julio like he was supposed to be. Just have trouble believing it with many Buffalo Bills seasons under my belt.

I'm going off seasons past, you're going off of hope.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion

I just want to point out that Sammy has not been a complete disaster.....he was still very productive in his first year despite sporting fractured ribs every week.

The Jones Fracture? Really really unfortunate but players do come back from this and are playing fine.

You're going with feelings over facts. 29 of 32 games played before last season with excellent production. Hell even in last season's 2nd Miami game he was a huge factor. No reason to believe he won't bounce back from the Jones fracture now that he's had the 2nd procedure.

29 of 32 sounds fine but I think you may also be forgetting how many games he started and didn't finish.

Also, conveniently dropping last year off of the tally isn't a very fair tactic.

I could very well be wrong, in fact I hope I am. Again, I was as happy as anyone when we drafted him.

Everyone has an opinion, this is mine. I just don't think Watkins is going to be the guy we'd hoped and if prefer to get some compensation rather than watch him walk (or hobble) away.

29 of 32 sounds fine but I think you may also be forgetting how many games he started and didn't finish.

Also, conveniently dropping last year off of the tally isn't a very fair tactic.

I could very well be wrong, in fact I hope I am. Again, I was as happy as anyone when we drafted him.

Everyone has an opinion, this is mine. I just don't think Watkins is going to be the guy we'd hoped and if prefer to get some compensation rather than watch him walk (or hobble) away.

How many games did he start but not finish? He had a legitimate injury in 2016. It happens in football.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion

I just want to point out that Sammy has not been a complete disaster.....he was still very productive in his first year despite sporting fractured ribs every week.

The Jones Fracture? Really really unfortunate but players do come back from this and are playing fine.

I don't believe for a second he was s disaster. One of the few bright spots for a number of games.

This whole article is probably hooey, but if there's even a shred of truth in this I believe the Bills may understand something that we may not.

How many games did he start but not finish? He had a legitimate injury in 2016. It happens in football.

I'm not going data mining for those stats. Did you truly find nothing of any value in any of my posts?

Beating one point to death does not a fun conversation make.

First of all, you always listen to trade offers---doesn't mean you do it, but you'd be a fool not to at least listen to what is being offered.

I also agree that you should rarely give up elite talent and if they did trade Sammy, I would hope that it is at least for a 1st. Of course,

I'd much rather Sammy stay, stay healthy, and become a consistent elite player for the Bills for years to come. But, it's not an easy

call with Sammy.

Sammy has played in 37 of a possible 48 games (missing 11 games), although he was limited by injury in probably another 10-14 of the games he did play.

He is averaging 66 yds/game and .68 TDs/game.

Looking at the stats, Sammy's had like 12 games that could be considered elite level (10 100-yard games, although only 3-multiple-TD games).

That's just under 1/3 of the games he's played, and if you include the games he's missed, then over the last 3 years, the Bills got

elite-level Sammy for 25% of their games. In a 16-game season that would be 4 games of elite-level play. That's not enough. Of course, coaching,

scheme, QB play, etc. all play into it too, but you're not going to pay elite money for 4 games a year.

I hope Sammy stays, remains healthy, and fully reaches his potential, but you can't blame the club either for taking a hard look at the situation

and having some healthy debate on whether to stick with him or move on. I'd rather see him play this year before making that decision, but if

the foot still nags him this year, or if he gets another injury then you're probably getting nothing for him next year. So, you have to at least think about it.

Along with versatility and character, McDermott seems to put a high price on durability as well.

(apropos clichés: Can't make the club in the tub; the best ability is availability)

I don't believe for a second he was s disaster. One of the few bright spots for a number of games.

This whole article is probably hooey, but if there's even a shred of truth in this I believe the Bills may understand something that we may not.

I'm not going data mining for those stats. Did you truly find nothing of any value in any of my posts?

Beating one point to death does not a fun conversation make.

I am worried that there is a behind the scenes issue that fans dont know about to even have the notion of a blue chip receiver possibly being traded.....very worried.

I am hoping its all smoke

First of all, you always listen to trade offers---doesn't mean you do it, but you'd be a fool not to at least listen to what is being offered.

I also agree that you should rarely give up elite talent and if they did trade Sammy, I would hope that it is at least for a 1st. Of course,

I'd much rather Sammy stay, stay healthy, and become a consistent elite player for the Bills for years to come. But, it's not an easy

call with Sammy.

Sammy has played in 37 of a possible 48 games (missing 11 games), although he was limited by injury in probably another 10-14 of the games he did play.

He is averaging 66 yds/game and .68 TDs/game.

Looking at the stats, Sammy's had like 12 games that could be considered elite level (10 100-yard games, although only 3-multiple-TD games).

That's just under 1/3 of the games he's played, and if you include the games he's missed, then over the last 3 years, the Bills got

elite-level Sammy for 25% of their games. In a 16-game season that would be 4 games of elite-level play. That's not enough. Of course, coaching,

scheme, QB play, etc. all play into it too, but you're not going to pay elite money for 4 games a year.

I hope Sammy stays, remains healthy, and fully reaches his potential, but you can't blame the club either for taking a hard look at the situation

and having some healthy debate on whether to stick with him or move on. I'd rather see him play this year before making that decision, but if

the foot still nags him this year, or if he gets another injury then you're probably getting nothing for him next year. So, you have to at least think about it.

Along with versatility and character, McDermott seems to put a high price on durability as well.

(apropos clichés: Can't make the club in the tub; the best ability is availability)

I'm not just saying this because most of it happens to coincide with my own beliefs.

This is one hell of a post.

Edited by likei've