Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

If Watkin's agent made it clear he won't sign a extension a trade would make sense. I don't like having to force a player to be here with a tag.

Keeping Sammy for 1 more season when a playoff run is unlikely is not worth letting him walk or limp away a FA

Yes TRADE HIM! He's not coming back (willingly) so get SOMETHING for him, if there's a team dumb enough to give up that much for him that is (doubt it, nobody is dumb enough to trade a 1st for a WR except Whaley). Sammy is a great player but he can't stay on the field and he doesn't want to be here. How can you blame him? With a good QB he's a pro bowler, with Tom Brady he's a hall of famer in his mind. How annoying would it be if you and a bunch of buddies started a job at the same time and you knew you were the best but for whatever reason they kept getting praises and accolades and moving up the ladder and you were just stuck in a rut? I'd transfer and start fresh with a new team too. For many reasons, and some out of his and our hands, it's just not working out here. But y'all keep working your little jobs!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe he wants to be a Bill, not under Tyrod and doubt he'd want to wait around for the Bills to draft a QB and hope for him to develop. I'm not advocating for him to be traded but It would be dumb to not at least consider any trade options.

That QB is MUCH harder to come by than the WR. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Sammy fan, but for the right price.....

+1. Have to doubt this happening, as teams need only wait until FA if Sammy has just an OK season, as Bills will not franchise him in that scenario. If Sammy has a great season, trade is still possible as Bills will want a #1 now or then. Helluva risk to trade for him now sight unseen.

ohhh. lump me in the group that doesn't like this rumor at all. i certainly understands both sides of the story, but i'd really like to see the bills let their talent play themselves out a bit. there's a price for everything as others have mentioned, but the idea of all of this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

6 pages of utter nonsense because the 'news report', nor any single fan post, didn't care to mention which opposing NFL GM, an employed one, who wants to stay employed, is giving up a future first rounder, for an impending FA, coming off an injury?

Suddenly its the sound of silence.......

But the over/under on the thread is likely 29 pages

jc

at this point, i think people are just mostly discussing the idea of it.

Same deal with Gilmore- should've traded him last year just like we should trade Sammy this year imo

ya lets trade all our good players early and hope the draft pick we use to replace them pans out

How is this a bad plan. I would trade him for a second IN a SECOND! He is a bit of a head case, who can't stay on the field, who's contract is coming up. He barely cracked 1,000 years once in 3 years.

Apparently he is the most over valued player on this team by the fans.

what a horrible post

If this is true, does the Bills medical staff know something we don't about Watkins' chronic foot injury? Very interesting!

u dont think other teams doctors would find out if something is wrong

ya lets trade all our good players early and hope the draft pick we use to replace them pans out

If they suspect that Watkins will not re-sign, and that they don't want to use the franchise tag on him next season, then why wouldn't they at least entertain the idea of trading him? Especially if team doctors feel that his play will continue to be hampered by the foot injury. That's just good business.

If you had a beautiful Ferrari that you paid a lot for, but it had ongoing problems with the engine causing you to drive a '99 Dodge Stratus for weeks at a time, would you not think about selling it for a good price? What if said car, in about a year's time, was going to cost you a lot of money or you have to give it away to someone else? Sell it now?

Not sure how much credence to give this radio station but it's out there

https://sportstalk360.com/2017/05/26/buffalo-bills-receiving-sammy-watkins-trade-offers/

This looks worse then the Lynch stupid move, this guy is a star and you need to get high first or forget about it. This is why this team continues to fail and the laughing stock of the league.

It would be a bold move.

Could be a homerun if he still battles the injury bug. Also though, could turn out to be a Lynch 2.0 trade.

It would be crazy having 3 first rounders next year though...

They need a first and 3 or 4th pick, no less then a first min. Second rounders not good enough.

This looks worse then the Lynch stupid move, this guy is a star and you need to get high first or forget about it. This is why this team continues to fail and the laughing stock of the league.

They need a first and 3 or 4th pick, no less then a first min. Second rounders not good enough.

They Lynch trade was a necessary move at the time. Agreed, however, that they better get a 1st (and change perhaps) if they pull the trigger on this one.

Far too much invested in him to let him go for lesser value. I could see this if he was a bust with little/no upside, but we all know that's far from the case. Best to ride this out and see what happens.

Yes TRADE HIM! He's not coming back (willingly) so get SOMETHING for him, if there's a team dumb enough to give up that much for him that is (doubt it, nobody is dumb enough to trade a 1st for a WR except Whaley).

But why would you want to trade him now ? Yes we can get soemthing back from him now, for a pick who may or turn out to be decent.

I had argued against the Bills picking up his option because of financial considerations and a 'lets see about that foot' this year. For the same reason, I strongly think that we need to absolutely keep him for this season. Many reasons:

His foot may finally be fixed and he will play like the stud that he is

The compensation may or may not result in a 'worth it' player

We will become woefully short on WR and put TT + the new staff in a very bad situation to start

It will be foolish to trade him now.

Yes TRADE HIM! He's not coming back (willingly) so get SOMETHING for him, if there's a team dumb enough to give up that much for him that is (doubt it, nobody is dumb enough to trade a 1st for a WR except Whaley). Sammy is a great player but he can't stay on the field and he doesn't want to be here. How can you blame him? With a good QB he's a pro bowler, with Tom Brady he's a hall of famer in his mind. How annoying would it be if you and a bunch of buddies started a job at the same time and you knew you were the best but for whatever reason they kept getting praises and accolades and moving up the ladder and you were just stuck in a rut? I'd transfer and start fresh with a new team too. For many reasons, and some out of his and our hands, it's just not working out here. But y'all keep working your little jobs!

didnt bill belicheck just trade a 1st for a wr, guess he must be dumb too

Nobody is untradeable except for a franchise QB. The Bills should be open to offers and if the price is right they should go for it. This is the kind of forward thinking that good teams do. Something unheard of from the Bills who have been playing catchup for years. They could put themselves in a good position for years to come.

Edited by bmur66

points for shopping him:

- is in the last year of his deal, meaning they will lose him or have to overpay him

- Top 5 WR?? his production is barely 5th best in his draft class (behind several first rounders and a second rder) OBJr, Evans, Cooks, Mathews all out produced... Adams, Benjamin and others aren't far behind

- the only part of his career that's worthy of HOF talk is the cost to acquire him

- one of McDermots 4 pillars is durability... Sammy hasn't been that

- even if Sammy lived up to the hype, how many rings has CJ with Detroit??

- he represents a moon shot from the last regime... converting him now to Currency to invest in this rebuild isn't a ridiculous idea

- Zay may actually be a just fine #1 WR

Points against:

- he is really good occasionally when he's not hurt

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood