Expectations for Shaq Lawson?

He already has 2 more sacks and 1 less tackle than Maybin did in his Bills career. He may be Chris Kelsay but not Aaron Maybin (although I get the sense that you are not being serious).

Hey, hey! Stop with all that fact stuff!

It's just too soon to say. If I had to guess, I don't see him in Pro Bowls every year, but I think he'll be a solid guy in his time with us.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think he fits in a 4-3 very well as he may not be much of an edge rusher and he is not big enough to run stuff. Very concerned he is one of the odd men out with the defensive scheme change to a 4-3. Very concerned about where he fits. He's a 3-4 down lineman. Don't need those guys anymore. He may be a less talented, smaller version of Mario Williams. That would be bad. We shall see.

You think he's a 3-4 DE? I'd have to disagree completely. Not sure how/why you would feel that way. Because he's not super explosive?hes not big enough for 3-4 end.

My biggest worry is how slow he looked last year

I'm hoping that was at least in part from "unprepared/out of position rookie thinking". But yes, he did NOT look explosive. Maybe he'll improve when fully healthy and fit?

Watching him last year when he finally got on the field, he looked a little slow out there. To early to tell, but I am concerned about his status as a first round talent. I hope he does well, but, not spending that nickle tight now.

First off, Shaq was a collaborative pick between DW and Rex, so those blaming one and not the other are off base

Second, the reason fans are not focused yet on individual players is because we are preoccupied with mgmt changes and owner dysfunction, lol

I also think its unrealistic for expect Shaq to have double digits sacks

5-6 would still be great

IMO its more important to become a full time 3 down player

Who can stop the run and set the edge

Do to what Hughes on the other side cannot

jc

One thing that nobody is really talking about here.....NOBODY was playing well on that defensive line last year.

If McDermott can get Marcel straightened out then the interior of the line will be forced to respect and will open things up more on the outside edges.

I wonder if people expect Hughes type speed when they are evaluating Shaq Lawson......and understand the "speed to power" thing

What I saw last year

- A player that had a pretty significant surgery right before the season....

- No work in training camp or pre season

- Basically rehabbed then was thrown into the fire

And to take it one step past that.....he played with this injury for years in college....we actually dont know what a fully healthy Shaq Lawson looks like either....he might have made is ceiling as a player EVEN HIGHER because know he will have use of both arms.

Its a wait and see...I am saying 8 sacks but I am hoping for more......even if he is never Mario Williams in his prime he could end up being a very good player for us.

One thing that nobody is really talking about here.....NOBODY was playing well on that defensive line last year.

If McDermott can get Marcel straightened out then the interior of the line will be forced to respect and will open things up more on the outside edges.

I wonder if people expect Hughes type speed when they are evaluating Shaq Lawson......and understand the "speed to power" thing

What I saw last year

- A player that had a pretty significant surgery right before the season....

- No work in training camp or pre season

- Basically rehabbed then was thrown into the fire

And to take it one step past that.....he played with this injury for years in college....we actually dont know what a fully healthy Shaq Lawson looks like either....he might have made is ceiling as a player EVEN HIGHER because know he will have use of both arms.

Its a wait and see...I am saying 8 sacks but I am hoping for more......even if he is never Mario Williams in his prime he could end up being a very good player for us.

Jerry had a stretch of DMVP for about 7 games or so and Kyle played really well.

Shaq did not impress last year with two arms, but let's hope he can take a step and become a player worth a big second contract. We have too few players that reach that criteria.

So he's the same size as Vernon for giants, but people are saying he's not the right size for a 43 DE?

Team website lists Vernon as 275- 10 pounds heavier than Shaq.

But size isn't everything. Robert Mathis played DE for the Colts at 250 or less. He was very, very quick though. Heck, Jerry Hughes is only listed at 254.

Edited by vincec

He was terrible last year. He was slow and looked overweight in the middle.

He needs to drop 15 pounds.

He was an odd choice to play OLB in the 3-4. His best chance of playing well is as a 4-3 DE.

My worry is he is not enough of a pass rusher to be the nickel DE. I think Lorax probably will get most of those snaps.

If he comes to camp in better shape then maybe he will be a three down player.

What I saw last year was a guy who probably holds the edge against the run but offered little in pass rush.

I swear I watched Lawson display a good bit of hustle last year once healthy. I am really excited to see Lawson out there. Players who can play will find a spot, that's where a good coach comes in.

What I saw was several times he overpowered a OL on his way to the qb......

People want to see a edge bend like Von Miller and get around a OT violently hitting a qb cleaning his clock......I really dont think that is gonna be Lawson's game. It doesnt mean that he cant put consistant pressure on a qb and get their with hustle....ALSO because he will run stop he is a complete player

Folks need to wait and see what we have in a healthy lawson (for the first time in years) before they make final determinations on the kid....rehabbing a surgery is not the same thing as a strength and conditioning program preparing for a season.

Is there a reason to believe that? What is your reasoning?

Some people don't have reasoning, they just have that slant on life. I can't speak for him, obviously. Just guessing.

He should see next to no double-teams if the rest of our D-line stays healthy. In that scenario, I'd consider anything less than 8 sacks to be a disappointment.

I can see something like that as reasonable. I hope he improves his angles and sets the edge a little better, but I'm counting on more prep time and better coaching.

I swear I watched Lawson display a good bit of hustle last year once healthy. I am really excited to see Lawson out there. Players who can play will find a spot, that's where a good coach comes in.

I agree. I think people on here must be looking at sacks and saying he was terrible based off that alone. He wasn't great but he wasn't terrible by any means.

You also have to factor in the fact he missed almost every pre season training program,otas and TC. He then gets rushed back into a chaotic scheme and played a position he is not best suited for. He is muchhhhh better suited as a 43 DE than a 34 olb.

He has clear 1st Rd talent, not sure where these "he's slow" remarks stem from. He's a big boy. Physical and quick enough to get to the QB. I feel he will excel at powering his way to the QB, as well as that spin move that he seemed to have perfected in college.

He's also going to be playing next to 99 or 95 ,I think we're going to see a major improvement over last year and feel his potential is sky high.. I'm liking that front 4 alot, he's also a perfect complement to Hughes. Oh and I can see him having the ability to kick inside as well.

Very talented player, highly skilled, I see alot of ignorance with these extremely negative comments

i think he will be chronically injured

Your self esteem can't be too high

Drafted injured, in his second state in two years. The omens aren't stellar

But if you watch the tape, without your bias on, it speaks very well. I haven't seen enough to say he's going to be an all pro. I have seen enough to see he's not going to be a bust. He'll have a productive career in the league.

I predict he will fare better with his hand in the dirt playing as a DE than he did moving around the field for Rex last year as a 3-4 OLB. At the end of the day, there were only six defensive ends that had 10+ sacks in the NFL last season. All six of those guys played in traditional 4-3 defenses. With the protection that he should have in the middle with Dareus and Williams, he should be an 8 sack guy, which would be a good first full season. If he's anywhere around 8 or above, that makes him a good draft pick IMO.