Expectations for Shaq Lawson?

Look, I'm honestly not expecting him to have a 10 sack season. But it's a team sport. If he can set the edge against the run/keep a blocking tight end busy and handle a RT on spread packages, that leaves one of Kyle, Dareus or Hughes in one on one, and that is going to generate sacks.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think he fits in a 4-3 very well as he may not be much of an edge rusher and he is not big enough to run stuff. Very concerned he is one of the odd men out with the defensive scheme change to a 4-3. Very concerned about where he fits. He's a 3-4 down lineman. Don't need those guys anymore. He may be a less talented, smaller version of Mario Williams. That would be bad. We shall see.

I feel the exact opposite. Shaq is a 4-3 DE to me. He's not explosive enough to be a rush edge in the 3-4 and is too small to play DE. That's part of the reason that I thought the pick was odd. He seemed like good value at the time but was an odd scheme fit to me. He should be a pretty well-rounded DE that is solid against the run and contributes about 7 sacks. Edited by Kirby Jackson

24 sacks.No I think I would go with 6-9 sack range with hopes of double figures.Is anyone else concerned about our pass rush this year? We need some comebacks!

We were 8th in the league last year. Now a full season from marcel and Shaq plus Hughes back to form and were better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were 8th in the league last year. Now a full season from marcel and Shaq plus Hughes back to form and were better. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Leslie Frazier will blitz and pressure less than Rex. If our front 4 doesn't get there Bills will be in big trouble.

Coming out of school, he was expected to be more of an edge setter than a dynamic pass rusher. If he gets 6-7 sacks and plays the run well, I think that would be a good season.

I think this sounds about right. Anything above that and I'd be thrilled, based off of the skill set that I've observed.

I think Shaq is the perfect fit in McDermott's defense. Has the typical frame for a DE that McD seems to like (just going off Carolina). I'm seeing between 6-8 sacks and being a good edge setter in the run game. The great thing about this fit is Shaq said a lot of the defense is the same thing they ran at Clemson so there should be less thinking for him resulting in him being able to play a lot faster. We'll see. I just don't like the lack of depth behind him and Hughes.

Overweight slow and lumbering, not expecting much.

This ^

I expect he'll Rotate as the starter because we don't have anyone else.

He's not a great pass rusher and looks to be even worse @ setting the edge.

I'm not sure he ends the year as the starter though.

Coach will see just like Rex did at the end of the year, his performance just doesn't warrant that much playing time.

If he can put up between 6-8 sacks and be solid in run support I'd be very happy.

Hughes will be strong coming off the edge on the other side, and we know if healthy Kyle and Marcell can provide plenty of pass rush up the middle.

We don't need Shaq to be a dominant end, just a very solid one, and I think he can do it. I'm more confident in the line than either of the other levels of the D.

If he can put up between 6-8 sacks and be solid in run support I'd be very happy.

Hughes will be strong coming off the edge on the other side, and we know if healthy Kyle and Marcell can provide plenty of pass rush up the middle.

We don't need Shaq to be a dominant end, just a very solid one, and I think he can do it. I'm more confident in the line than either of the other levels of the D.

Call me crazy, but I think Adolphus Washington could raise some hell up the middle in this scheme.

I feel the exact opposite. Shaq is a 4-3 DE to me. He's not explosive enough to be a rush edge in the 3-4 and is too small to play DE. That's part of the reason that I thought the pick was odd. He seemed like good value at the time but was an odd scheme fit to me. He should be a pretty well-rounded DE that is solid against the run and contributes about 7 sacks.

I feel the same way for the most part, although I did think he did enough at Clemson to show that he could play in a 3-4 front at OLB in some capacity as a SAM backer. I think he fits a traditional 43 role more myself, can use his strength and hands more to his advantage and generate pressure through his technique and effort, complimenting his run stopping ability.

I was not very impressed watching him last year and hopefully he will improve in year 2 minus the off season surgery. I was surprised there were not many comparisons to him and Derek Barnett this year, Barnett's hands are quicker and he is slightly better as a pass rusher, but IMO they are very similar overall physically and skill set wise.

Call me crazy, but I think Adolphus Washington could raise some hell up the middle in this scheme.

That would be a nice bonus. I can see him playing some end in running situations, and spelling the guys inside on some passing downs.

I feel the exact opposite. Shaq is a 4-3 DE to me. He's not explosive enough to be a rush edge in the 3-4 and is too small to play DE. That's part of the reason that I thought the pick was odd. He seemed like good value at the time but was an odd scheme fit to me. He should be a pretty well-rounded DE that is solid against the run and contributes about 7 sacks.

Yea, I thought he was a talented player and good value but didn't see the speed for olb or bulk for DE in a 34. Struck me as a 43 guy too, but figured Rex knew what he wanted to do with him better than I would know