Expectations for Shaq Lawson?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it was said at the time he was drafted that he could set the edge and was good against the run, he did have 12.5 sacks

in 15 games his junior year (just before coming out). So, I wouldn't say that rushing the passer isn't part of his game.

I don't think McDermott will hand him the job. Which is refreshing since Rex handed out jobs without competition all the time. Saying that I think he will have a solid season and put up 8 sacks next year.

I get it but there are presumed starters and he's one. If he doesn't start - we're in real trouble.

I think you still low ball it a bit.

42 guys had 7 sacks

72 guys had 5+

To say 4-5... it wouldn't be a successful year. It's possible it would not be a failure but it would be underwhelming

Yeah......IMO he very well MAY get only 4-5 sacks but he was drafted as a pass rusher.

PASS RUSHER.

Shaq is not the tall, long, king sized edge setting Richard Seymour type.......he'd probably be best served playing at a quicker 255-260 pounds so he ain't going to be standing up many 330 pound RT in the run game.

That said.......this will be a one gap front with ends lined up wide so "setting the edge" is not high on the job description.

I see we have some Chris Kelsay fans in this thread though. Remember when Kelsay was a "first round talent" that the Bills got in the second round and how he was a considered a run defense-first DE by his fans because he couldn't sack QB's? Even though he was undersized and awful against the run? :lol:

I just don't see him as a 10 sack guy, but maybe I'm missing something. To me he's an edge setting run stopper and I don't think that is a bad thing.

I agree to an extent. I think he has the makeup to become a very good pass rusher but from day 1 I expect him to keep the run in check. Also playing next to 99 and 95 will give him plenty opportunities to get to the QB.

I'm giving him a mulligan for last year, that scheme was a chaotic mess.

I hope his spin move becomes a trademark of his.

I think he will excel setting the edge and chip in with 6-8 sacks. Thats the type of consistency that made him a 1st rd talent. Looking forward to seeing him and Reggie on the field together for many years to come

Edited by BuffAlone

Coming out of school, he was expected to be more of an edge setter than a dynamic pass rusher. If he gets 6-7 sacks and plays the run well, I think that would be a good season.

This. The Bills playing the run well would go a long way in improving that side of the ball.

Coming out of school, he was expected to be more of an edge setter than a dynamic pass rusher. If he gets 6-7 sacks and plays the run well, I think that would be a good season.

This sort of thing. I'm hoping for more, but expecting around this.

Yeah......IMO he very well MAY get only 4-5 sacks but he was drafted as a pass rusher.

PASS RUSHER.

Shaq is not the tall, long, king sized edge setting Richard Seymour type.......he'd probably be best served playing at a quicker 255-260 pounds so he ain't going to be standing up many 330 pound RT in the run game.

That said.......this will be a one gap front with ends lined up wide so "setting the edge" is not high on the job description.

I see we have some Chris Kelsay fans in this thread though. Remember when Kelsay was a "first round talent" that the Bills got in the second round and how he was a considered a run defense-first DE by his fans because he couldn't sack QB's? Even though he was undersized and awful against the run? :lol:

He had a good motor though. Kelsay was a blue collar player that brought his lunch pail to work everyday. He was a smart, gritty, hard hat wearing DE that always played to the whistle.

PASS RUSHER.

No, I don't remember that.

But I remember many fans saying it.

I remember him being very good against the run but being beaten by good fakes by really athletic RBs on a few highlight plays that fans focused on forever.

I don't remember him ever being a first round talent, though. And they gave him too much on that last contract. But what was he supposed to do, turn them down and ask for less?

Edited by Thurman#1

Don't think he fits in a 4-3 very well as he may not be much of an edge rusher and he is not big enough to run stuff. Very concerned he is one of the odd men out with the defensive scheme change to a 4-3. Very concerned about where he fits. He's a 3-4 down lineman. Don't need those guys anymore. He may be a less talented, smaller version of Mario Williams. That would be bad. We shall see.