Expectations for Shaq Lawson?

A lot of conversations flying around, but few seem to involve Shaq Lawson. We didn't see much last year in terms of what he might become, and there are an array of reasons why that might be the case. I'm curious though - what are your expectations for Lawson this season?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good strategy to set the bar low. Top-20 pick in his second year ? I would like to see no less than 10 sacks and a dominating presence.

That would really be top notch as only 16 guys in the entire league got 10 sacks and we see a number of pass rushers taken higher than him every year.

I'll go with 8-10 sacks and consistency in making proper reads etc... as a big success

Good strategy to set the bar low. Top-20 pick in his second year ? I would like to see no less than 10 sacks and a dominating presence.

I don't think he's that kind of player. Thought I was being fairly reasonable.

I think you still low ball it a bit.

42 guys had 7 sacks

72 guys had 5+

To say 4-5... it wouldn't be a successful year. It's possible it would not be a failure but it would be underwhelming

You're right. He's not that kind of player. I could see him getting 6-8 sacks though. His presence vs the run game is what will make or break his career imo. Be a force vs the run and get pressure on the qb. I can see him getting pressure often but not being able to get the sack. That can make him an impact player and worthy of a 1st rd pick.....if he's a force vs the run

Edited by NewEra

42 guys had 7 sacks

72 guys had 5+

To say 4-5... it wouldn't be a successful year. It's possible it would not be a failure but it would be underwhelming

Sacks aren't everything. He can be a distruotive force, impact games and live up to being a 1st rd pick and still only get 4-5 sacks. Stope the run and put pressure on the qb. Getting sacks are nice, forcing the qb into a bad pass or an incompletion are also nice

I don't think McDermott will hand him the job. Which is refreshing since Rex handed out jobs without competition all the time. Saying that I think he will have a solid season and put up 8 sacks next year.

He doesn't really have anyone to compete with him. He wins the job by default

Didn't show a lot of quick twitch, but also collapsed inside too much and failed to set the edge. I'm hoping a real coach and a year of preparation will give us a big bump in performance.

Sacks aren't everything. He can be a distruotive force, impact games and live up to being a 1st rd pick and still only get 4-5 sacks. Stope the run and put pressure on the qb. Getting sacks are nice, forcing the qb into a bad pass or an incompletion are also nice

He doesn't really have anyone to compete with him. He wins the job by default

Obviously they aren't everything but also typically there is a correlation between pressure and sacks.

1 sack a month would not be a successful season in my book, unless it came with some really freak unlucky circumstances on the stat sheet where he ranked high in pressures but barely broke the top 100 in sacks (99 guys had 4+ sacks, including 5 Carolina lineman)

42 guys had 7 sacks

72 guys had 5+

I agree with this. I don't think it's necessarily about the sack total as much as pressures. I think he gets 8-10 without too much trouble barring injury. I'd like to see him pushing the tackle towards the QB often and use the under move to get sacks and pressures. As stated above I expect that he can set the edge and force the running back towards his teammates - as well as shed the tackle and make some tackles up the middle - better than he did in his limited time last year.

I don't expect him to be a rusher that gets around the tackle unless he surprises me with working on that to a higher level than my belief that he's athletic enough to become one. He has a decent rip move but wasn't used properly consistently. He'll try to bull rush then get the left arm under but by then his pads are too even with the tackle. He's got to get that left shoulder to the tackles left shoulder than rip - when he does that he does it well.