Expectations for Shaq Lawson?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way for the most part, although I did think he did enough at Clemson to show that he could play in a 3-4 front at OLB in some capacity as a SAM backer. I think he fits a traditional 43 role more myself, can use his strength and hands more to his advantage and generate pressure through his technique and effort, complimenting his run stopping ability.

I was not very impressed watching him last year and hopefully he will improve in year 2 minus the off season surgery. I was surprised there were not many comparisons to him and Derek Barnett this year, Barnett's hands are quicker and he is slightly better as a pass rusher, but IMO they are very similar overall physically and skill set wise.

That's a good call. I feel very similarly about Barnett. His bend around the corner is impressive l, as are his hands, but his overall athleticism is lacking. He will be productive but I don't think that either will ever be great for that reason.

I feel the exact opposite. Shaq is a 4-3 DE to me. He's not explosive enough to be a rush edge in the 3-4 and is too small to play DE. That's part of the reason that I thought the pick was odd. He seemed like good value at the time but was an odd scheme fit to me. He should be a pretty well-rounded DE that is solid against the run and contributes about 7 sacks.

I'm with you KJ. On top of that, I think the 1st 3 picks from last year's draft fit well in a 4-3 vs. a 3-4, or whatever you want to call what Rex and Rob were running. I thought it was odd to take a player like Shaq for what we were running. Ragland in a 3-4 didn't make much sense to me either, especially as high as we drafted him. And along with Juice_32, I have high hopes for Washington. If this works out, we could benefit nicely from Rex making some very questionable picks to suite his defense.

:beer: Here's to hoping Rex-The-Clown helped us more than we thought with his odd draft last year. Yea, I said Rex's draft, not Whaley's.

I have no clue what sort of defense we'll be running, so I'm not about to make sack predictions, especially if our defense calls for him to be setting the edge and playing zone defense all game. That being said, last year was like pre-season for him in a way, he had very little practice before being thrown to the wolves. I hope with a full off season and preseason, he'll be in better shape to be more productive this year.

I'm with you KJ. On top of that, I think the 1st 3 picks from last year's draft fit well in a 4-3 vs. a 3-4, or whatever you want to call what Rex and Rob were running. I thought it was odd to take a player like Shaq for what we were running. Ragland in a 3-4 didn't make much sense to me either, especially as high as we drafted him. And along with Juice_32, I have high hopes for Washington. If this works out, we could benefit nicely from Rex making some very questionable picks to suite his defense.

:beer: Here's to hoping Rex-The-Clown helped us more than we thought with his odd draft last year. Yea, I said Rex's draft, not Whaley's.

Shaq was expected to make a transition much like Terrell Suggs did for the Ravens. Shaq played most of his snaps at Clemson with his hand in the dirt, but stood up occasionally. So I'm guessing those occasional times he stood up was enough for Rex to say he could be the "Elephant" player in the defense. Ragland made plenty of sense for Rex's 3-4 because that what Reggie played and excelled in at Bama.

Edited by NewEraBills

:doh:

My expecatation... Play some good football. Get to the QB, work well with zo and create havoc on the strong side.

He will be released as a fat slob who is too slow for the NFL. I have seen this act before.

Bank on it... Bet the house.... He is Aaron Maybyn Part two!!!! Total bust.... maybe even worse then the fat Mike William Tackle that just hated football. Maybe worse then Reggie Ragland... who will also be a bust.

I am sorry to the Kool-Aid drinkers, I am a huge Bills fan too,but these guys have the stink of bust on them..... I hope they are hall of fame guys, but in 2 years you're going to say how 2016 was a wasted draft.....

Edited by Iraq Vet

He will be released as a fat slob who is too slow for the NFL. I have seen this act before.

Bank on it... Bet the house.... He is Aaron Maybyn Part two!!!! Total bust.... maybe even worse then the fat Mike William Tackle that just hated football. Maybe worse then Reggie Ragland... who will also be a bust.

I am sorry to the Kool-Aid drinkers, I am a huge Bills fan too,but these guys have the stink of bust on them..... I hope they are hall of fame guys, but in 2 years you're going to say how 2016 was a wasted draft.....

He already has 2 more sacks and 1 less tackle than Maybin did in his Bills career. He may be Chris Kelsay but not Aaron Maybin (although I get the sense that you are not being serious). Edited by Kirby Jackson

based on your assessment I am now sure he is going to the pro bowl

A lot of conversations flying around, but few seem to involve Shaq Lawson. We didn't see much last year in terms of what he might become, and there are an array of reasons why that might be the case. I'm curious though - what are your expectations for Lawson this season?

Double Digit sacks...I think this kid is going to be good playing on a DL full of Dareus, Kyle, and Hughes. Could be wrong, but man there was a lot to like coming out and if not for his shoulder he would have gone likely top 10.

I am also excited about Ragland to see what he can do finally on the field in the NFL.

35-40 tackles and 4-5 sacks

Realistic.

DL take a while to get used to the NFL and last season was almost completely lost for him so it'll be a couple of years, best case, before he's as productive as some here are predicting, IMO.

He's no Mario 2013 or 2014, that's for sure.

Edited by vincec

Realistic.

DL take a while to get used to the NFL and last season was almost completely lost for him so it'll be a couple of years, best case, before he's as productive as some here are predicting, IMO.

He's no Mario 2013 or 2014, that's for sure.

For me I don't see a big adjustment period. He isn't a guy that has a lot of growing to do; Shaq is a technician. He should be able to come in and be productive early on. His issue is that he's limited athletically. It's not like a Ziggy Ansah type where you hope his freakish athleticism leads to pass rush. Shaq's ceiling isn't terribly high but his floor is high. To me, he is a 7 or 8 sack guy every year but never a guy that gets 15.

He went a little later than most people projected and I think that's why. Teams picking in the top 10 are looking for impact guys. Shaq is the solid starter type. He might be a pretty good player but you don't take those guys at 8 or whatever. They fall to he teens and later. Barnett and Allen did it this year too.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Don't think he fits in a 4-3 very well as he may not be much of an edge rusher and he is not big enough to run stuff. Very concerned he is one of the odd men out with the defensive scheme change to a 4-3. Very concerned about where he fits. He's a 3-4 down lineman. Don't need those guys anymore. He may be a less talented, smaller version of Mario Williams. That would be bad. We shall see.

Really? I think he fits this scheme much better. Let him set the edge and get some sacks because he won't quit. I do NOT want to see him chasing TE's down the field. Hoping last year was a result of missed TC and poor coaching, because he took some bad angles at times. But I like hard workers, and he seems to be that.

How do we even know what he is at this point?

I think we know pretty well that he's not 6'6, 290+ Lbs.... though they run about the same 40 time. Mario when 100% was an incredibly rare specimen -- saying that Shaq doesn't have the same upside isn't all that insulting. I think he's a very good skill set but he's the same speed at like 30 lbs lighter.

Edited by NoSaint