Polian - McD, "he's Marv-like".

This is a retort to the person who "can't see McD being a good Bills HC".

Bill Polian, who has been very reluctant to endorse anybody over the years for the Bills' HC position has clearly endorsed Sean McDermott. He believes that McD is basically a younger version of Marv Levy......and he thinks the world of the HOF Bills HC who he hired when he was the Bills GM way back when.

Polian says that McD is "cerebral, low key, and right on the money". He said that McD has a pretty good pedigree having learned under Andy Reid (Phily) and Rivera (Carolina).

Here's the link: http://buffalowdown.com/2017/03/05/buffalo-bills-bill-polian-sean-mcdermott-marv-levy/.

That's a pretty hefty endorsement if you ask me.

From what I've seen thus far I would think you would have to be impressed with McD. He basically ran the 2017 draft and likely picked up three 2017 starters by trading up and down the board and may have found Buffalo's QB of the future in Nate Peterman. Even the ESPN analysts (Kiper & McShay) have raved about Buffalo's draft.

McD has also won the power battle with former Bills GM D. Whaley. With Whaley now gone it's likely that McD will be able to hand pick the next Bills GM. That's a very rare occurrence.

McD is likely to push for someone he knows and trusts very well.....and that may turn out to be the best way to rebuild this team.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There will always be those that carry a negative disposition towards the Bills, rightfully so. The organization has not done a lot of good things in the past 17 years. I like the move personally, this team needed someone like McDermott, but, hopefully, that translates into wins and quality football being played on Sundays.

We will see, only a few more months to go.....

I'm not sure why fans have doubts at this point. I certainly understand a "prove it" mentality, but it hard not to love the first few months.

There has been a total culture change since he got here. Discipline, hard work, focus - a 180 from the Rex years. He seems to have a real vision, and his first draft was stellar.

Honestly, the guy he reminds me of is Belichick.

You mean as in Marv was a delegator who let his coordinators run both the offense and defense themselves and let his GM get him players just like McD wants total control and runs his defense and wants to be in the offense and demands he picks his players himself?

I'm not sure why fans have doubts at this point. I certainly understand a "prove it" mentality, but it hard not to love the first few months.

There has been a total culture change since he got here. Discipline, hard work, focus - a 180 from the Rex years. He seems to have a real vision, and his first draft was stellar.

Have People been scared and hurt to many times in the past? I personally go into every season with optimism that this will be the year. If I thought every year they would suck then what's the point?

Yeah, the word was, Rex loved the idea of being an NFL HC but did not want to put in the hours of work and the details that was necessary to be successful in this league.

You mean as in Marv was a delegator who let his coordinators run both the offense and defense themselves and let his GM get him players just like McD wants total control and runs his defense and wants to be in the offense and demands he picks his players himself?

Exactly!! Marv let his coaches coach, and let Polian, Butler scout and bring in the Players. Marv wasn't power hungry and demanding full control. This is what happens when you dont have a president of football operations.

This is a retort to the person who "can't see McD being a good Bills HC".

Bill Polian, who has been very reluctant to endorse anybody over the years for the Bills' HC position has clearly endorsed Sean McDermott. He believes that McD is basically a younger version of Marv Levy......and he thinks the world of the HOF Bills HC who he hired when he was the Bills GM way back when.

Polian says that McD is "cerebral, low key, and right on the money". He said that McD has a pretty good pedigree having learned under Andy Reid (Phily) and Rivera (Carolina).

Here's the link: http://buffalowdown.com/2017/03/05/buffalo-bills-bill-polian-sean-mcdermott-marv-levy/.

That's a pretty hefty endorsement if you ask me.

From what I've seen thus far I would think you would have to be impressed with McD. He basically ran the 2017 draft and likely picked up three 2017 starters by trading up and down the board and may have found Buffalo's QB of the future in Nate Peterman. Even the ESPN analysts (Kiper & McShay) have raved about Buffalo's draft.

McD has also won the power battle with former Bills GM D. Whaley. With Whaley now gone it's likely that McD will be able to hand pick the next Bills GM. That's a very rare occurrence.

McD is likely to push for someone he knows and trusts very well.....and that may turn out to be the best way to rebuild this team.

He's nothing like Marv as others have already pointed out. Bad comparison.

Maybe I was just completely over Rex's antics, but put me in the camp that is really happy with McD so far.

I'm normally pretty skeptical. I think this guy is going to make us all believers soon.

I like the hire. I like what he has done. Great job on the draft but I will reserve judgment until I see the Bills playing meaningful games or resting starters in December. Nothing worse than watching a bunch of heartless overpaid athletes (not all) going thru the motions like last year.

Exactly!! Marv let his coaches coach, and let Polian, Butler scout and bring in the Players. Marv wasn't power hungry and demanding full control. This is what happens when you dont have a president of football operations.

Where has McDerminator said that he "demands full control?"

There's the overreaction I was waiting for when I started reading this thread... :D

The comparison was based on demeanor and approach. That's where he believes McDermott is "Marv-like". Polian clearly believes McDermott has certain traits that he likes in a coach.

No one knows just how well he'll do as a HC, but one thing is for certain: he means business. He seems like a very structured person, something that was severely lacking with the last regime. That doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't a "player's coach", but that was basically all that Rex had going for him. You can be a player's coach, and be a disciplinarian. By all accounts, players loved playing under McDermott.

Surely you can't be serious. They haven't done anything yet...where is the discipline,hard work and focus? Have they cut down on the penalties......are they better on 3rd down defense.....are they using the challenges and time outs better?

There's the overreaction I was waiting for when I started reading this thread... :D

Well it's well chronicled that Marv was how I described. In fact, myself and a lot of others are convinced that the reason we lost all those Super Bowls was BECAUSE Marv was such a delegator and should have taken more control and got rid of the defensive coordinator.

On his first day on the job, one of the very first things Mickey Rat said to the question of whether he is going to concentrate on the defense was something to the effect of "I'm going to be deeply involved in everything. I'm going to spend a lot of time on the offense and every aspect of this team. And now we know he immediately took control of "one voice" for the organization, and took control of the draft, and every single GM prospect out of ten rumored has been a non traditional GM that would have control over the roster but an up and comer who would be under McD.

So he's just like Marv.

I haven't seen enough of McD to compare him to anyone yet. I hope he is not levy 2.0 as levy was a good coach sure, not great but good with a flaw that could be a good reason they never won a sb, especially 25 and that was lack of discipline. he let those players run loose, no curfew just let them booze it up and what ever else went along with the two week party train leading up to the big game.

so no, I hope McD is the opposite of levy and shows to be more of a disciplinarian than levy was.

I can tell you right now, Logically, how this is going to go. McDermott has a plan. He hired his OC And DC with the systems he feels will be successful for Buffalo. He now goes to each Coordinator and finds out the characteristics they want in the players to make THEIR SYSTEMS successful.

He then goes to the GM and says "lets get them the guys they need to make these systems successful" and that is what our new GM and scouting department does.

You know like good, successful, franchises do. I know its a shock to Bills fans to have this actually happen, but its finally going to....THANK GOD!

I want a HC who isn't involved in all aspects and let's a GM whom he knows is about to be fired make all the decisions.

That sounds significantly better.

I can tell you right now, Logically, how this is going to go. McDermott has a plan. He hired his OC And DC with the systems he feels will be successful for Buffalo. He now goes to each Coordinator and finds out the characteristics they want in the players to make THEIR SYSTEMS successful.

He then goes to the GM and says "lets get them the guys they need to make these systems successful" and that is what our new GM and scouting department does.

You know like good, successful, franchises do. I know its a shock to Bills fans to have this actually happen, but its finally going to....THANK GOD!

So you want to draft a player to specifically fit a system? Then the coach gets fired in 3years, player doesnt fit new coaches system, and then you start all over again. No you draft football players. Not guys that fit a specific system.

I'm honestly puzzled by this. We've had a couple weeks of OTAs. How can one diagnose culture change (or its lack) from this?

Aw yeah I 'member Marv Levy!

I'm honestly puzzled by this. We've had a couple weeks of OTAs. How can one diagnose culture change (or its lack) from this?

Did you not see the different motivational phrases slapped up around OBD?? What more do you need?

So you want to draft a player to specifically fit a system? Then the coach gets fired in 3years, player doesnt fit new coaches system, and then you start all over again. No you draft football players. Not guys that fit a specific system.

Coaches likely don't care about players fitting a different system after they are fired.

Thank the heavens Leslie Frazier is picking players for HIS SYSTEM? My sanity is in trouble.

Coaches likely don't care about players fitting a different system after they are fired.

Thats my point. The GM should be in total control of rosters, but work well with the head coach. you shouldnt draft players to fit a system. Just draft good quality football players.

I want a HC who isn't involved in all aspects and let's a GM whom he knows is about to be fired make all the decisions.

That sounds significantly better.

I'm not sure how McD is going to turn out. I like him. I'm an optimistic fan. But I have watched the NFL for 50 years. There is an endless series of former coordinators that get bumped up to HC because they are great at their coordinator job, and then they are not great HC because they dont concentrate on the one thing they are great at that got them the job in the first place. First time HC also often bite off more than they can chew. McD is taking on everything. Let's hope he can do it.

Well, for starters, we have what we have heard about his time in Carolina. But we also have early indications here, including players who have commented on the more disciplined approach and the "earning the right to win" philosophy. He is also putting a greater emphasis on leadership within the team.

To me, his style was very evident in the draft - not just in the picks and maneuvers, but also in the way the Bills communicated before and during the weekend.

Culture changes take time. Like seasons. No way can anyone say McD has changed the culture yet. He may have started to put his foundation in place but he isn't even close to changing anything yet. If this was a building he'd still be digging for the footers. Culture changes start at the top and work their way down to the janitor mopping the floor. It takes time to change culture. Combine that with a business where you need to win now and it's hard to predict the outcome so I will wait and see