Gary Barnidge visited the Bills May 3rd

If you ask me, LB and DE opposite of Shaq are bigger holes. Considering Hughes has had back to back down years.

Clay has not been utilized correctly. Not saying the guy is a world beater, but with more competent QB play, I think we see better production out of Clay.

I still would love to add Barn' but I don't think it's our biggest hole.

me either, by a ways

Edited by 3rdand12

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our biggest hole on the team? No.

Our biggest hole on offense? Yes.

RT? WR2, WR3? I think those three positions are much weaker than a TE position that is headlined by Clay.

Sure they drafted guys at RT and WR but Clay (if healthy) is leaps and bounds above rookies who are going to be expected to produce.

So does anyone know where we are on signing him? He was here, he was in Kentucky for the derby and recruited hard by Woods and that's all I got. Jacksonville seems like the best fit if he wants to be a #1 TE and seems to be where he is heading.

So does anyone know where we are on signing him? He was here, he was in Kentucky for the derby and recruited hard by Woods and that's all I got. Jacksonville seems like the best fit if he wants to be a #1 TE and seems to be where he is heading.

he has between two and 12 more visits lined up depending on who you believe.

RT? WR2, WR3? I think those three positions are much weaker than a TE position that is headlined by Clay.

Sure they drafted guys at RT and WR but Clay (if healthy) is leaps and bounds above rookies who are going to be expected to produce.

While those other positions may not have the best players in the league, I feel pretty good about the depth

Granted, Jordan Mills is not that good, but he's adequate. We do have Dion Dawkins and Cyrus Kouandjio who I think can fill in if necessary. I have not given up on Seantrel Henderson either.

Zay Jones, Andre Holmes can fill those needs at WR. Let's see what Jeremy Butler & Corey Washington & Kolby Listenbee can do.

Charles Clay is a very good TE, no question. If Clay were to get injured.....then we have a problem.

A part of me has to wonder if this has anything to do with buffalo not taking Howard, more so then them looking and seeing who is already at the position for us.

A part of me has to wonder if this has anything to do with buffalo not taking Howard, more so then them looking and seeing who is already at the position for us.

I feel in hindsight Bills feel they can get by. and likely not going to make the best offer to G B.

I was on the Howard bandwagon

per Bills app: Wood, Groy, Incognito, and Schmidt partied with Barnidge for the Derby, recruited him to come join the Bills; Wood and Barnidge and Wood played for three years and roomed together at Louisville; Wood organized the Derby outing

I would have much rather been with that crew than Brady's band of boy toys.

RT filled with rookie, 2WR filled with Rookie, 3WR filled with who is on roster.

RT filled with rookie, 2WR filled with Rookie, 3WR filled with who is on roster.

Didn't I cover that in my post? I have much more faith in Clay to produce than I do a rookie RT or a WR. They are penciled in at starter by default from lack of competition. The same could be said for Poyer.

per Bills app: Wood, Groy, Incognito, and Schmidt partied with Barnidge for the Derby, recruited him to come join the Bills; Wood and Barnidge and Wood played for three years and roomed together at Louisville; Wood organized the Derby outing

Nice!

Thanks for sharing this.

Didn't I cover that in my post? I have much more faith in Clay to produce than I do a rookie RT or a WR. They are penciled in at starter by default from lack of competition. The same could be said for Poyer.

Poyer worries me more than either Dawkins and Jones. Would be nice to have flexibility of targets in Watkins, Jones, Holmes, Clay, and Barnidge, not to mention the halfbacks.

Clay has been average at best since coming to Buffalo. He looked much quicker when he played for Miami. Hopefully he ramps up his game this year. Dawkins at rt tackle is miles ahead talent wise then Jordan Mills. And Zay Jones will be tremendous. Nothing wrong with counting on rookies to step up. Most teams do that every year.

Poyer worries me more than either Dawkins and Jones. Would be nice to have flexibility of targets in Watkins, Jones, Holmes, Clay, and Barnidge, not to mention the halfbacks.

I agree, specifically in regards to Jones. Just because he is a rookie doesn't mean that he will struggle. He caught 399 balls in college. Look at the damage that Michael Thomas did as a 2nd round rookie. Edited by Kirby Jackson

You still think WR 2 is an issue after drafting Zay Jones? I strongly disagree. I actually think WR is a strength after Free agency and the draft.

I think WR is better this year than last. It may end up being a strength.

I agree with this.

Zay Jones still has to prove that he can come in and be the bonafied number 2......but I feel like there is not this huge drop off in talent in the receiving core when you get past Sammy and Jay.....you have like 3 guys that have veteran NFL experience that dont suck.....its not a "lets get someone off the couch" scenario like we had last year.

I agree, specifically in regards to Jones. Just because he is a rookie doesn't mean that he will struggle. He caught 399 balls in college. Look at the damage that Michae Thomas did as a 2nd round rookie.

Don't disagree but he plays with Drew Brees. Brees blew up a 7th round rookie and a former basketball player.

Qb makes a huge difference in receiver's production and it's why I didn't want one in the 1st.

I think WR is better this year than last. It may end up being a strength.

I hope so but I would expect similar production out of our #2 wr like Woods had.

Don't disagree but he plays with Drew Brees. Brees blew up a 7th round rookie and a former basketball player.

Qb makes a huge difference in receiver's production and it's why I didn't want one in the 1st.

I hope so but I would expect similar production out of our #2 wr like Woods had.

I think part of my reasoning for thinking that they have improved (besides Sammy's health) is that I was never a Woods guy. He played hard and was tough but he was limited as a receiver. He was a decent possession guy that really didn't do anything that differentiated him from other receivers (besides block). Jones is more of a playmaker and has superior ball skills. Jones is faster, quicker, stronger and a more explosive athlete. I'm thinking about 800 yards and 6 TDs for Jones & 1,200 yards and 10 TDs for Sammy.

I think part of my reasoning for thinking that they have improved (besides Sammy's health) is that I was never a Woods guy. He played hard and was tough but he was limited as a receiver. He was a decent possession guy that really didn't do anything that differentiated him from other receivers (besides block). Jones is more of a playmaker and has superior ball skills. Jones is faster, quicker, stronger and a more explosive athlete. I'm thinking about 800 yards and 6 TDs for Jones & 1,200 yards and 10 TDs for Sammy.

I hope you're right but I don't see that at all. Woods is a better player than you remember. He got open. So did Hogan.

We just aren't a good passing team.

I hope you're right but I don't see that at all. Woods is a better player than you remember. He got open. So did Hogan.

Athletically they don't compare; I just went back through all of the numbers. I wasn't a Woods guy when he was here so this isn't hindsight (I took some heat for it). He averaged 3.5 catches and 43 yards a game in his career. I know that we were a run based offense but there were 72 NFL receivers last year that averaged more than 43 yards a game. I see Jones as closer to 50 yards a game (right around DeVante Parker). He will make the same possession type plays but will be better after the catch.

Woods was a strong intermediate route runner but was not quick enough to be a matchup advantage/playmaker on short throws........had poor balance so subesquently almost no RAC........ and was not big/fast/physical/rangy enough to make plays deep........and of course.....he was always nicked up.

Woods was not what they expected him to become, he was a decent player but Jones has a much higher ceiling.

Woods was a strong intermediate route runner but was not quick enough to be a matchup advantage/playmaker on short throws........had poor balance so subesquently almost no RAC........ and was not big/fast/physical/rangy enough to make plays deep........and of course.....he was always nicked up.

Woods was not what they expected him to become, he was a decent player but Jones has a much higher ceiling.

To me this is the real biggie

In Zay Jones I see a 1st down machine.....maybe not even a high point scorer....but when its 3rd and 8 and you need a first down to keep a drive going......you throw it at Zay and let him go get it

Edited by John from Hemet

Athletically they don't compare; I just went back through all of the numbers. I wasn't a Woods guy when he was here so this isn't hindsight (I took some heat for it). He averaged 3.5 catches and 43 yards a game in his career. I know that we were a run based offense but there were 72 NFL receivers last year that averaged more than 43 yards a game. I see Jones as closer to 50 yards a game (right around DeVante Parker). He will make the same possession type plays but will be better after the catch.

Fair but Tyrod needs to be much more accurate for YAC. Remember that Chris Hogan had more YAC last year than Sammy has had in the last 2 years.

Fair but Tyrod needs to be much more accurate for YAC. Remember that Chris Hogan had more YAC last year than Sammy has had in the last 2 years.

Certainly but he doesn't need to be that much more accurate for Jones to average another 7 yards a game. Sammy averages a lot more than that now. The reciever's ability will be enough to offset that.