RD 1, Pick 27: Tre'Davious White (CB) - LSU

SDS

He was underrated by a lot of people. He is a solid CB, BUT i am not convinced he's as good or better than Darby.

Like the trade down, but felt 27 was too far. We could of dropped 5-8 at the most.

Oh well like the extra 1st rounder next year, we will use it on a QB.

What if a drop from 5-8 wasnt there?

it takes TWO to make a trade

People forget the other big part of this...the number 1 next year

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@WGR550

McDermott- "People were calling us at 27 to take us out of the 1st round. I'm not a big fan of that."

I agree,

White is the kind of young player/ leader you want to build the team around.

Drop out of the 1st and its less likely a player of his value to fill a team need is still available.

Deep draft, I get that, but if you see a guy available that really goes well in the grand scheme of things to come, you get him.

Edited by Figster

I agree,

White is the kind of young player/ leader you want to build the team around.

Drop out of the 1st and its less likely a player of his value to fill a team need is still available.

Deep draft, I get that, but if you see a guy available that really goes well in the grand scheme of things to come, you get him.

Not even just that, if you trade out of the first you lose the 5th year option.

I've read that his quick twitch allows him to make plays on balls. He's a great returner so he must have speed.

Looks a lot like McKelvin, who never had a problem covering guys, but who can also find the ball and make plays on it.

Poor comparison. Both return punts if asked. That's about it.

To the Gilmore guys blowing up this thread, he didn't deserve top 5 corner money. Gilmore is good but not great. Also, he doesn't fit into McDermott's scheme. Sean needs corners who can play mostly zone with some man and press mixed in there, and he needs tough corners who can come up and play the run. Gilmore is all bump and run and he stinks in run support.

We just picked a durable corner who started all four years only missing a couple games. He is a smart leader and some experts say was the second highest rated CB in the draft. He can return punts, was a two year captain (wearing #18 for LSU is a big deal) and he can play inside/outside and man or zone. I love the pick. Oh, and we picked up another 3rd and 1st? That's what the pats and good teams have done for years.

Your logic is too logical. Your emotions are supposed to trump logic (no pun intended, but I like it).

Poor comparison. Both return punts if asked. That's about it.

In thinking about the CBs that have been through OBD, he looks much more like McKelvin than he does Gilmore, Clements, or even Darby. No?

Same size, good speed, good coverage skills. But it looks like White knows how to make plays on the ball.

I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, just trying to put him in terms that we're familiar with. What's your better comparison?

I have no idea how anyone is upset with how this is playing out.

No idea either. the first rd was a A-A+ all around. We filled the teams biggest need with a plug n play starter, secured a 3rd pick to whom will most likely be another day1 starter.

The extra 1st rd pick next year is just fantastic for a new coach to have. It will open up so many options.

He was underrated by a lot of people. He is a solid CB, BUT i am not convinced he's as good or better than Darby.

Like the trade down, but felt 27 was too far. We could of dropped 5-8 at the most.

Oh well like the extra 1st rounder next year, we will use it on a QB.

What if White was our guy no matter what? Could you imagine the reaction if we had dropped down to the 15-18 range and still picked him? Heads would have exploded.

No idea either. the first rd was a A-A+ all around. We filled the teams biggest need with a plug n play starter, secured a 3rd pick to whom will most likely be another day1 starter.

The extra 1st rd pick next year is just fantastic for a new coach to have. It will open up so many options.

I'm definitely not upset, but seeing the talent that was available to them at 10 made the trade down a little tougher to swallow.

In thinking about the CBs that have been through OBD, he looks much more like McKelvin than he does Gilmore, Clements, or even Darby. No?

Same size, good speed, good coverage skills. But it looks like White knows how to make plays on the ball.

I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, just trying to put him in terms that we're familiar with. What's your better comparison?

Yeah he's closer physically to McKelvin than those guys.

But McKelvin was very uninstinctive........call it football dumb.......so he couldn't get out of his own way most of the time let alone be any kind of example/leader.

He also hadn't produced at a high level of football like the SEC....he was an athletic projection as much as anything and his track numbers looked better THEN than they would now.......so he was maybe a level above 3D relative to the field/current expectations......hence the higher selection/ranking.

And as you noted, Leodis had an awful time playing the football.....which was a concern because he was basically coming to a Tampa-2 defense where he was supposed to make plays on the football.......like the guy he was effectively replacing, Nate Clements.

I don't like my mediocre team having to draft to replace free agent departures, but I think he has a good chance to be a lot better at things Gilmore was not particularly strong at.

Durability, playing the football, contributing in run support and being a good teammate who won't exacerbate bad situations and help them snowball the way I think Gilmore's history of not tackling excused the rest of the defense from doing so when they got frustrated late in 2016.

Listening to this kid's press conference. He's super impressive just as a person.

I came away very impressed also, now I get what they mean by "class act", he seems like a genuine kid, I hope he does great things for us because I think the locker room just got a really nice boost with White now added to it.

Something y'all might not know about Tre White is he has blood already in the NFL. Former Cowboy and now Jets DB Morris Claiborne is his cousin, and they look extremely alike. Google a facial shot of Mo Claiborne and Tre White to see a strange resemblance.

Edited by CajunBillsBacker

Something y'all might not know about Tre White is he has blood already in the NFL. Former Cowboy and now Jets DB Morris Claiborne is his cousin, and they look extremely alike. Google a facial shot of Mo Claiborne and Tre White to see a strange resemblance.

Wow you are right they do look alike.

White better be better than good, he better be a game changer as deep as this draft is at CB. It is a safe pick, a solid football player but is he going to lead this team to the next level? I would have rather seen the Bills take a chance on Foster. Only time will tell but in my opinion it was a vanilla pick.

White better be better than good, he better be a game changer as deep as this draft is at CB. It is a safe pick, a solid football player but is he going to lead this team to the next level? I would have rather seen the Bills take a chance on Foster. Only time will tell but in my opinion it was a vanilla pick.

Kind of high expectations. Speaking of high, Foster has a much better chance of landing on the suspended list with Dareus, and he's got medical issues. Might he have the better career? Sure, but I'll take what many had as the 2nd rated CB with no existing health or character issues. We all have opinions! :)

I don't know if this is a good pick or not...and I'm not sure it matters, given that he's likely to play for two head coaches, three defensive coordinators, and three secondary coaches over the four years he's in Buffalo.