Sammy's foot fully healthy already??

Big Turk

I think part of the frustration last year from the Bills was that he trained hard and not smart.....and was putting unnecessary wear and tear on his body.

Did hoops have anything to do with his initial foot injury? Perhaps.

Either way the guy is shredded and probably needs to learn how to swim so he's not beating up his legs/joints getting conditioned.

If they are concerned about him hurting himself playing hoops........maybe making him play this season in limbo between no contract and a franchise tag will encourage him focus on playing this year like it's his walk year and to not take chances away from the field.

Thanks for stopping by, Mr. Campanis.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pastime for an underachieving and oft injured football player. Guys never hurt their foot playing basketball. <_<

This. Landing on someone's foot off a layup or rebound and twisting/breaking ankle happens all the time.

I thought most players had it written in their contracts they can't hoop or ride dirt bikes etc.

Keep thinking good thoughts

I mean, isn't he being held out of practice til training camp?

I think that a disclaimer is in order at that point that he may or may not be doing this with the teams clearance - so who knows what kind of sign it is. If the docs are green lighting it - awesome. If he's doing it just cause he thinks he feels fine - less awesome. We're pretty early in the timeline still. That's all.

I mean, isn't he being held out of practice til training camp?

I think that a disclaimer is in order at that point that he may or may not be doing this with the teams clearance - so who knows what kind of sign it is. If the docs are green lighting it - awesome. If he's doing it just cause he thinks he feels fine - less awesome. We're pretty early in the timeline still. That's all.

Fingers crossed hoping he's not being a knucklehead! I can't imagine the uproar if he were to hurt himself (again) by playing a little unauthorized hoops because he "felt fine" after multiple surgeries.

I was talking to a podiatrist who has decent idea what Sammy is going through. He said that sometimes the foot is structurally sound, but you gotta play through pain. There is a good chance that is Sammy's situation. Contrary to popular opinion, I expect to see Sammy play a full / nearly full year so long as the Bills are contending. This year and the next are contract years for him.

That said, it is strange he is playing pick up basketball. If the foot was healed, why wasnt he at Veterans Camp practicing? If it was not healed, it was stupid to put it at risk.

The only "rational" explanation I can think of is - his doctors cleared him after Veterans Camp and actually suggested he test it out. Meeting healthy strangers is also a valid hypothesis:)

I hope we take a WR @ 10 or another EARLY round.

I am starting to believe Sammy is immature or irresponsible (maybe both). With the history he has had with injuries so far in his football career you would think he would be doing EVERYTHING possible to play a FULL SEASON this year.

THIS is not just like you or me, THIS man has a BIG contract to perform an activity that REQUIRES his body to be in tip top shape!

This behavior rates right up there with Dareus or Williams in being careless or irresponsible in the off season.

Skill is not everything - the head and the heart are also required.

That said, it is strange he is playing pick up basketball. If the foot was healed, why wasnt he at Veterans Camp practicing? If it was not healed, it was stupid to put it at risk.

It's stupid regardless. The nature of basketball involves a high risk of lower leg injuries. It's about the last thing a guy who can't stay on the field because of foot issues should be doing.

People who can't or won't see the difference between that and 'living in a bubble' are being obtuse.

It's stupid regardless. The nature of basketball involves a high risk of lower leg injuries. It's about the last thing a guy who can't stay on the field because of foot issues should be doing.

People who can't or won't see the difference between that and 'living in a bubble' are being obtuse.

Would you be happier if he was running hills or stairs to get in football condition? I see no difference in risk vs seeing a video of him at a high school field stopping, starting and cutting routes. If I saw such a video I'd be starring at his foot nervous as hell and would be thinking - please be careful. However I have to understand these NFL players have surgery - go through professional rehab - then they start using that injured part of their body again.

I get that he could land on a foot, etc but I'd imagine he's not going down low for rebounds. He's most likely getting some conditioning in and being smart on how hard he goes. Can we never give a guy the benefit of the doubt?

Edited by Triple Threat

They said Watkins was a monster on the boards, so he was definitely doing a lot of jumping to grab rebounds...

I believe Campanis said blacks weren't good swimmers because they didn't float.........not that they couldn't learn to swim.

Keep tryin' do'. :rolleyes:

He also said they lacked the "necessities" to be managers in baseball, hahaha

I am starting to believe Sammy is immature or irresponsible (maybe both). With the history he has had with injuries so far in his football career you would think he would be doing EVERYTHING possible to play a FULL SEASON this year.

THIS is not just like you or me, THIS man has a BIG contract to perform an activity that REQUIRES his body to be in tip top shape!

This behavior rates right up there with Dareus or Williams in being careless or irresponsible in the off season.

Yes he has no heart.......

What are you talking about? "An activity that REQUIRES his body too be in tip top shape". Hold the presses

Seriously have you ever even seen #14? "The head and heart are also required" What?

Watkins should live his life and play ball. But. in my opinion, I rather he abstain from basketball for now.

Side note, I broke my ankle playing PU basketball the night before my high school graduation and missed attending. No big deal because millions of dollars and a professional career that required my ankle were not part of the equation.

Regardless, I hope he plays all 16 games and puts up big numbers this season.

Edited by leonbus23

i am as frustrated with the injury last year as everyone

but come on...these guys are people to....are they not allowed to live like a human being?

Depends on whether he's cleared by the team to be taking part in activities like BB.

To the OP...pics or it didn't happen.

Thanks for stopping by, Mr. Campanis.

:lol:

I believe Campanis said blacks weren't good swimmers because they didn't float.........not that they couldn't learn to swim.

Keep tryin' do'. :rolleyes:

And you assume that he doesn't know how to swim. Why?

Edited by Cripple Creek

Depends on whether he's cleared by the team to be taking part in activities like BB.

To the OP...pics or it didn't happen.

:lol:

And you assume that he doesn't know how to swim. Why?

It happened regardless of whether you believe it or not. As I am not the owner of the picture I am not posting it...

This. Landing on someone's foot off a layup or rebound and twisting/breaking ankle happens all the time.

I thought most players had it written in their contracts they can't hoop or ride dirt bikes etc.

...life in a bubble then I guess....Madison is out two months for his dirt bike crash, falling on his pitching shoulder...............

...life in a bubble then I guess....Madison is out two months for his dirt bike crash, falling on his pitching shoulder.......this just in...Dustin Johnson fell down the freakin' stairs....................

...life in a bubble then I guess....Madison is out two months for his dirt bike crash, falling on his pitching shoulder...............

Atleast Madison won something, he can spend his time polishing his trophies. What is Watkins doing dunking on some random scrubs during pick up games? A basketball court is no way to heal a reoccurring injury to a foot.

Maybe they haven't signed off on the 5th year just to try and reign in superman.

so much ado

Much ado about nothing? Look below, if chubby checker in the adidas shirt ends up being shuffling his feet under Sammy then it's a whole lot to do over nothing. Never mind he can't practice on a field, but can go jump up and down on a court.

Something a brewing with Sammy and it's been that way. Let's see how coach MC likes the don't practice but wants to play on Sunday routine.

Much ado about nothing? Look below, if chubby checker in the adidas shirt ends up being shuffling his feet under Sammy then it's a whole lot to do over nothing. Never mind he can't practice on a field, but can go jump up and down on a court.

Something a brewing with Sammy and it's been that way. Let's see how coach MC likes the don't practice but wants to play on Sunday routine.

i never said " nothing " did I.

Edited by 3rdand12

sammy-watkins-basketball-6ab5b94aee4b00f

What an odd picture! The red shirt is catching his breath like Dareus. Black shirt is putting in Mario Williams effort to block. White shirt got next game, but his face is blurred out? Why him? Is he a celebrity?

Yeah because if he was out running hills, stairs or route running - we'd be happy with how he's progressing and not thinking about him hurting his foot.

He's in LA a lot, as are most of the guys in the league.

I'll buy you a beer at Buffalo Wild Wings next time you're here in WNY. They've got great wings. You're in for a treat that you can't get anywhere else! :beer:

Most of that was the team being cautious rather than SW not wanting to practice.