We seem to always destroy strength

If we allow the Pats to walk with our running back we continue the pattern of reducing strong points of our team which stops us from working on weaknesses successfully building a team. Consider 2 years ago when people on this web site would have considered our Receivers situation to be good and getting better with experience. We have destroyed that with coaching change of philosophy ( see Chris Hogan) and cuts, our LB corp was stronger that we imagined. DB's were set and with Gilmore allowed to walk now becomes a huge weakness of the team having now to replace A cb and safety. Injuries are a part of the game, self inflicted pain should not be. This is a management problem.

So this draft we now must deal with these units, rather than working on improving the team with the strongest, best player or even a QB. When you now draft a QB project it comes at the expense of strengthening one of the units we destroyed by our own hand.

WRs, LB, DB, should be set and through our own acts are not.

17 years of starting over again....

If we allow the Pats to walk with our running back we continue the pattern of reducing strong points of our team which stops us from working on weaknesses successfully building a team. Consider 2 years ago when people on this web site would have considered our Receivers situation to be good and getting better with experience. We have destroyed that with coaching change of philosophy ( see Chris Hogan) and cuts, our LB corp was stronger that we imagined. DB's were set and with Gilmore allowed to walk now becomes a huge weakness of the team having now to replace A cb and safety. Injuries are a part of the game, self inflicted pain should not be. This is a management problem.

So this draft we now must deal with these units, rather than working on improving the team with the strongest, best player or even a QB. When you now draft a QB project it comes at the expense of strengthening one of the units we destroyed by our own hand.

You can't keep everything.

Good god the run game was not a strength because of Mike Gillislee, no more than it was because of Karlos Williams the year before. Have you people heard of Lesean McCoy? How about Tyrod Taylor? As far as I know they are both returning and fast RBs without any NFL wear and tear will be available this offseason. I am shocked at how many people here and in local media are making a big deal over this.

Good god the run game was not a strength because of Mike Gillislee, no more than it was because of Karlos Williams the year before. Have you people heard of Lesean McCoy? How about Tyrod Taylor? As far as I know they are both returning and fast RBs without any NFL wear and tear will be available this offseason. I am shocked at how many people here and in local media are making a big deal over this.

At least its still not whining over Fred Jackson. Remember him? We were never going to be in the top 30 in rushing ever again once he left...

Its the WGR crowd .... They been listening to Howie,schoop,bulldog too much..... All they understand is try not to win or tank, only to get the second best player in the draft resulting in coach going to Toronto it so Sabres . Its incredible how we lost our Basketball franchise because of these jokesters.

You forgot to mention the real MVPs of the run game, the OL. It appears that almost every RB that runs behind these guys has great success. Keep the faith, the run game will be great without TD Mike.

It's the Bills way baby.

We are good at something.

So Billsy.

The NFL can give the worst teams the best draft picks. They can create a salary cap.

But they can't even out the intelligence in NFL front offices. The slow moving teams circle the drain because their decision makers aren't good.

That's not the point. Patriots find ways to take players like Dion Lewis and fit them into their system so they can thrive. I will put money that Gillislee will be their starting RB against us and Belichick will find a way to utilize him against us.

Well for starters he's the best yard per carry running back in the NFL, and the best #2 guy for sure. Secondly, almost every starting RB gets hurt and Shady is no exception. He's not a kid anymore either.

Jonathan Williams hasn't shown much yet. If he becomes our starting runner this season it's a big dropoff for us unless the kid really progresses this year.

Go watch the 2nd Miami game and see how TD Mike kept us in that game and basically won it for us if we had a decent kicker. He was so fast and explosive out there, huge runs when we needed them.

He's worth 2.75 million per year. Whaley won on Groy, lost on Mike G with these low tenders. Maybe it was Overdorf, either way our offense got worse. McDermott has to be pissed.

3 types of players...

1) Pro Bowlers/Hall of Famers/Immortals

2) Those who belong on the field on gameday

3) scrubs

When you lose a 1 or 2 you have to go out of your way to waste a pick or signing to replace them to even get back to the mediocrity you already wallowed in.

So Billsy.

The NFL can give the worst teams the best draft picks. They can create a salary cap.

But they can't even out the intelligence in NFL front offices. The slow moving teams circle the drain because their decision makers aren't good.

Guess what with a top ten qb the roster is just fine.

3 types of players...

1) Pro Bowlers/Hall of Famers/Immortals

2) Those who belong on the field on gameday

3) scrubs

When you lose a 1 or 2 you have to go out of your way to waste a pick or signing to replace them to even get back to the mediocrity you already wallowed in.

or you can look at it this way. lose Gilmore at 14 million draft his replacement at 2 million . have 12 million to sure up the rest of the team. lots of ways to get it done. You def need to keep some core guys. Gilmore never proved to be a true core guy and Mike g is a nice player but def replaceable. Don't get me started on Brooke Hogan

Its the WGR crowd .... They been listening to Howie,schoop,bulldog too much..... All they understand is try not to win or tank, only to get the second best player in the draft resulting in coach going to Toronto it so Sabres . Its incredible how we lost our Basketball franchise because of these jokesters.

to that point hasn't Murray squandered more then Whaley ever had .

Yup.

And it gets much worse when you're in cap trouble. That's when teams like the Pats can swoop in and structure offers to make it hard for you to match. $6 mill for two years isn't prohibitive.

But when you have at this point in the year around $10 mill left and around $5 mill of that will go to the rookie draftees, $4 mill this year - which is how the Pats structured their offer - really is very difficult to match.

We screwed ourselves by getting in this cap situation.

We actually way overrate average players.

Both Bills and Pats fans are talking like this was as one sided as the Herschel Walker trade. They got a decent rb and we get a draft pick.

It's not a Herschel Walker type deal. But yeah, they fleeced us.

Well for starters he's the best yard per carry running back in the NFL, and the best #2 guy for sure. Secondly, almost every starting RB gets hurt and Shady is no exception. He's not a kid anymore either.

Jonathan Williams hasn't shown much yet. If he becomes our starting runner this season it's a big dropoff for us unless the kid really progresses this year.

Go watch the 2nd Miami game and see how TD Mike kept us in that game and basically won it for us if we had a decent kicker. He was so fast and explosive out there, huge runs when we needed them.

He's worth 2.75 million per year. Whaley won on Groy, lost on Mike G with these low tenders. Maybe it was Overdorf, either way our offense got worse. McDermott has to be pissed.

Swap out "Gillislee" for "Karlos Williams" and "Jon Williams" for "Gillislee," you have an identical argument to what people were saying in 2015. We will be fine. We go through this same song and dance every year. Losing backup RBs in free agency doesn't matter. It won't affect the win/loss column at all. We don't even know what the replacement plan is yet and people are already freaking out, and I guarantee you it's the same people that freaked out about losing Karlos.

Yup.

And it gets much worse when you're in cap trouble. That's when teams like the Pats can swoop in and structure offers to make it hard for you to match. $6 mill for two years isn't prohibitive.

But when you have at this point in the year around $10 mill left and around $5 mill of that will go to the rookie draftees, $4 mill this year - which is how the Pats structured their offer - really is very difficult to match.

They didn't fleece us.

If any other team signed MG, we wouldn't even care.

They didn't fleece us.

If any other team signed MG, we wouldn't even care.

no we'd care. it would just sting a little less. the NE patriots are championship team with a solid FO, and game plan. when they grab talent from your team (much like they did Hogan), and go on to win the superbowl...it really makes you question the organization, and their ability to evaluate and hold onto talent.

I remember people making the same argument with Hogan, as they are with MG. "he's a number 2", "he's this, he's that"....well know he has a ring, and was very instrumental in the patriots obtaining that ring. I have a feeling Gilmore and MG are much appreciative for the Bills' lack of interest.

People need to get over Chris Hogan.. he had 2 more catches in the regular season this year with Tom Brady (GOAT) throwing him the ball than he did last year, with Tyrod Taylor and EJ Manuel throwing him the ball... The only thing he did against us last year was TORCH Stephon Gilmore, who now plays on the same team as Hogan... Gilmore gave up on the Bills and is one of the softest CB's I have ever watched. I played football my whole life, coached it and scouted it... Gilmore does cover well, but will not tackle anyone and as the years went on, he has gotten worse...

Yup.

exactly my point. To create cap space get rid (if possible) guys like Dareus who kill the cap space and don't play so you can keep decent players and keep a unit in place. This is always the same management issue, fall in love with a Dareus type ( high risk from the day they drafted him, like using his mommy as an excuse) rather than build units with character and keep them together. You cannot draft to improve your team when you draft each year to replace what you lose by your own stupidity in both Dareus types and bad cap management.

Management in the past did know how. I recall when Jim K and Bruce and Thurman convinced future hall of famer Andre Reed to take an offer far less than he wanted and come to camp. That was team leadership and facing reality.

This would be a better team without Dareus and with Gillislee. Now we have to draft a RB and a D lineman (you cannot count on Dareus and Kyle is getting up there)

"without any NFL wear and tear"??

600+ total yards and 9 total TDs is worth the higher tender OBD chose not to give, despite knowing of the possibility of an offering team structuring an offer this way because OBD did that with Clay

If Gillislee, as he is now, were available with our 5th round pick, then I take him over any other HB who figures to be available