Do you use Facebook or Instagram?

Another Fan

Not on either one of them. Always thought it was dumb for the most part. Then again I'm not the most social guy in the world.

Perhaps this site is the closest I come to utilizing social media if you want to call it that. How bout everyone else?

My sisters got me on facebook years back; it's fine for connecting with extended family and old buddies but it gets tiring seeing the same people post crap constantly. And it gets really tiring seeing the same people endlessly crying over politics (the block function is mandatory during election years).

I mostly use it to post pics of the kids; Christmas, Father's Day, summer vacation, etc.

Edited by KD in CA

Not on either one of them. Always thought it was dumb for the most part. Then again I'm not the most social guy in the world.

Perhaps this site is the closest I come to utilizing social media if you want to call it that. How bout everyone else?

I like facebook because I can stay in contact with friends and family better than the occasional visit. never be in on instagram except to watch lifting videos.

I have accounts used to pay homage to family, friends, and coworkers that crave attention online.

I rarely post but when I do it is in response to another post and most likely sarcastic. I rarely accept new friend requests on FB unless it's somebody that pesters me about why I haven't accepted their friend request.

I did get back into Facebook for awhile after the election. All those melting snowflakes provided ample lol's

No on facebook as everyone's perfect lives just drive me nuts...amazing there are more "gifted" kids in this world then non-gifted.

Yes to Insta, Snap and Twitter.

Saw a great quote a few years ago" Facebook makes you hate people you know, Twitter helps you like people you don't "

As a parenof high schoolers...good to somehow find your kids and their friends finsta....that is where the real chit happens.

Ditto.

Along with niche interest message boards on double edge/straight razor shaving, luxury watches, fountain pens, religious idiocyncracies, other sports teams.

I "use" FB but more I just check the news feed for anything interesting (which there hardly is anything) or when I am bored. I am on twitter but mainly use that for news etc. I don't use IG but then again I am not one to take pictures really, although there apparently are some real hot IG models that you can check out :lol:

What is snap chat all about? That is one I don't use and don't really get the point

Apparently nobody uses Facebook, it appears they may go under.

I use both and Twitter. Since I've gotten into hiking, I enjoy taking pics as I go along and share them on Instagram. I use Twitter to get the last info, since it's usually posted there first. Facebook to keep up w/ friends and family.

not to sidetrack the original conversation, but.....

what do you consider hiking vs walking. Is hiking more off road and trails? I have valley forge park practically right next to my office, often times i go to the park, change into shorts, t, sneakers and do 4-5 miles. It's all paved paths and relatively flat. I am not going up hills or into wood. I go at a fairly good clip for walking, i try to average at or just under 15 min/mile. I hate calling it a hike because in my mind hiking is going up slopes, through unpaved forest trails etc.....but saying i went out for a walk makes me sound like an old guy that's out for a stroll in my velcro sneakers and mr. rogers sweater. such struggles i deal with in my head

Apparently nobody uses Facebook, it appears they may go under.

I use both and Twitter. Since I've gotten into hiking, I enjoy taking pics as I go along and share them on Instagram. I use Twitter to get the last info, since it's usually posted there first. Facebook to keep up w/ friends and family.

what do you consider hiking vs walking. Is hiking more off road and trails? I have valley forge park practically right next to my office, often times i go to the park, change into shorts, t, sneakers and do 4-5 miles. It's all paved paths and relatively flat. I am not going up hills or into wood. I go at a fairly good clip for walking, i try to average at or just under 15 min/mile. I hate calling it a hike because in my mind hiking is going up slopes, through unpaved forest trails etc.....but saying i went out for a walk makes me sound like an old guy that's out for a stroll in my velcro sneakers and mr. rogers sweater. such struggles i deal with in my head

no attack on anyone who gets out there and does some exercise

call it what you want

Both, mostly FB. Family is all over the Country. It's a great way to stay in touch.

Simple contact with people all over the world is a miraculous thing to have for us old farts.

It's something I've wondered about myself, but if I have on my hiking boots, on dirt trails, climbing up hills / mountains, crossing creeks...generally out in nature; it's a hike to me. Sometimes I'll just do the sneakers and stroll around a lake on a paved trail, I guess that's a walk. I'm still walking either way, one just happens to be on a more rugged course.

It's something I've wondered about myself, but if I have on my hiking boots, on dirt trails, climbing up hills / mountains, crossing creeks...generally out in nature; it's a hike to me. Sometimes I'll just do the sneakers and stroll around a lake on a paved trail, I guess that's a walk. I'm still walking either way, one just happens to be on a more rugged course.

You guys have got me wondering whether a hikers thread would ever get any traction around here..........

Jack is always talking about hiking the fire towers in the ADK, i think that is pretty cool. There are plenty of areas around philly that i could legit hike in, not sure if i have the conditioning, yet, to go balls in on regular actual hikes. I find the stories very interesting, they paint mental images of being out in nature, and that's never a bad thing

You guys have got me wondering whether a hikers thread would ever get any traction around here..........

My one and only experience with social media was 1 week of Myspace. This board is the only social media I currently partake....

Not surprisingly, my family and friends text me anything important. They keep me updated on what their facebook is saying to them; like a buffer.

Everyone I know tells me they want to quit. This will be the smoking/addiction of our lifetime.

Facebook has worked for me regarding reconnecting. I moved away from WNY pretty much after high school 1979. I have reconnected with lots of friends and family I lost touch with and most I was very close to growing up. As a matter of fact, partially thanks to FB I'm heading back to WNY for my Aunt's 80th and I'll get to see three cousins I have not seen since I was in high school which means they were in Jr high school. That's almost 40 years!!

Edited by Chef Jim

Paved trail, you're walking. But at least you're getting out and doing that many miles. No doubt you could do some easy trails with some elevation. Look for trails in the 2-3 mile range to start.

Facebook has worked for me regarding reconnecting. I moved away from WNY pretty much after high school 1079. I have reconnected with lots of friends and family I lost touch with and most I was very close to growing up. As a matter of fact, partially thanks to FB I'm heading back to WNY for my Aunt's 80th and I'll get to see three cousins I have not seen since I was in high school which means they were in Jr high school. That's almost 40 years!!

God you are old

I am with you. Nothing for me except this site. You guys are all I got.

LoL... Same here.

We are all one big happy family! :-)

Oh...

Just don't eat the fruit off of my table display. My wife gets really funny about her home decor and seasonal decorating! Easter season, I don't go near the colored eggs til I am told too! ;-)

Hiking is any kind of walking, pedestrian activity.

Ie: Bike with traffic, hike against traffic.

My one and only experience with social media was 1 week of Myspace. This board is the only social media I currently partake....

Not surprisingly, my family and friends text me anything important. They keep me updated on what their facebook is saying to them; like a buffer.

Everyone I know tells me they want to quit. This will be the smoking/addiction of our lifetime.

Yep. Social media is a sewer. Well, it turns into it.

My 80 year old father has never touched a computer, let alone knows where the escape key is on a keyboard... Yet, he's figured out it is all turns into "front porch gossip." Everybody retreating to their protective bubble.

You know why it was created? To track, be catty about what everybody is doing. It feeds right into the negative side of human nature.

And yet, I am here. Got to have at least one weakness. But, I consider forums as "radio" of social media (if you even want to call forums social media)... The others, FB, Twitter, etc... Is the mindless boob tube. Here, you have to pay attention, build an image of what is going on.

Jack is always talking about hiking the fire towers in the ADK, i think that is pretty cool. There are plenty of areas around philly that i could legit hike in, not sure if i have the conditioning, yet, to go balls in on regular actual hikes. I find the stories very interesting, they paint mental images of being out in nature, and that's never a bad thing

And why forums are "radio." Yet, the picture, meme people are taking the place over slowly... People are lazy. I throw the images, pics, videos around more now. It is gr8 that SDS keeps this place throttled back!

On another note:

There is a Danish concept, it is called "hygge (hooga)"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygge

This place is "cozy."... But not a bubble, it is flowing, social with all different kinds of viewpoints that I find fascinating... Yet, bonded by BFLo, WNY, CNY, S.Ontario, & the Bills.

"The noun "hygge" includes something nice, cozy, safe and known, referring to a psychological state.[2] The antonym of hygge is uhyggelig, which translates as "scary"."

Sorry if I am getting goofy... That I am.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Paved trail, you're walking. But at least you're getting out and doing that many miles. No doubt you could do some easy trails with some elevation. Look for trails in the 2-3 mile range to start.

That's how I started. We have dozens of trails in the 3-4 mile range in our area w/ elevation. That's what I usually do, just to get out and get some exercise. That's an easy 1-1.5 hr hike (not much a time commitment) . If I go 6 miles, a couple hours. I usually don't go much further, then I have to worry about things like extra water, snacks, etc.. It's peaceful, plus you get to hang out in nature. Like someone said, that's never a bad thing.

No on facebook as everyone's perfect lives just drive me nuts...amazing there are more "gifted" kids in this world then non-gifted.

Saw a great quote a few years ago" Facebook makes you hate people you know, Twitter helps you like people you don't "

Yes to the nth degree on the first part. It's Fakebook. I will see these perfect families and what not - and then be with them that same day while they fight and argue like there's no tomorrow. And, no - not everybody is beautiful - and nobody looks the same at 54 as we did at 20, so shut up!!!

I LOVE that quote! I have been thinking about it. There are less than 5 people that I like more now that I am Facebook friends with them. There's probably 100 that I like less.

And, has anybody ever liked anybody more because of their political posts on Facebook? Even if they are on the same side as me, the meme's they post are beyond stupid, almost always with false information that anybody with a brain should be able to see.

Yes to the nth degree on the first part. It's Fakebook. I will see these perfect families and what not - and then be with them that same day while they fight and argue like there's no tomorrow. And, no - not everybody is beautiful - and nobody looks the same at 54 as we did at 20, so shut up!!!

I LOVE that quote! I have been thinking about it. There are less than 5 people that I like more now that I am Facebook friends with them. There's probably 100 that I like less.

And, has anybody ever liked anybody more because of their political posts on Facebook? Even if they are on the same side as me, the meme's they post are beyond stupid, almost always with false information that anybody with a brain should be able to see.

During the election my wife and my sister had to block my mother on Facebook. It was actually a really big deal, and feelings were hurt. My Mom is a staunch conservative and a Trump supporter, and she was posting all this awful, hate-filled Trump propaganda stuff. Some of it was very graphic and disturbing (abortion stuff), and other stuff was downright racist. I think they're all "friends" again now, but it was pretty ugly for a while there. I just laughed at how ridiculous they all were being.

Another weird Facebook thing...and please tell me if anyone has heard of this...my wife kept showing me pictures of her friends who had just given birth with their "push presents" from their husbands. She showed me a few. One girl got a brand new Audi, another got a huge diamond ring, and another got plane tickets for her and her sister to go to Hawaii or something. Is this really a thing? Push presents? Jeebus...

I look better brother!!! :lol:

During the election my wife and my sister had to block my mother on Facebook. It was actually a really big deal, and feelings were hurt. My Mom is a staunch conservative and a Trump supporter, and she was posting all this awful, hate-filled Trump propaganda stuff. Some of it was very graphic and disturbing (abortion stuff), and other stuff was downright racist. I think they're all "friends" again now, but it was pretty ugly for a while there. I just laughed at how ridiculous they all were being.

Another weird Facebook thing...and please tell me if anyone has heard of this...my wife kept showing me pictures of her friends who had just given birth with their "push presents" from their husbands. She showed me a few. One girl got a brand new Audi, another got a huge diamond ring, and another got plane tickets for her and her sister to go to Hawaii or something. Is this really a thing? Push presents? Jeebus...

The first paragraph is why I stay off facebook, the 2nd I have never heard of...does the man get a "push" present for starting the whole thing with a push?

Edited by plenzmd1

The first paragraph is why I stay off facebook, the 2nd I have never heard of...does the man get a "push" present for starting the whole thing with a push?

Yeah, the man gets 9 months of pure wedded joy. My wife, love her to pieces, turned into a fire breathing Gila Monster during her pregnancies.

facebook.

although I find it annoying with posts about what they ate, how many times they sneezed or their hind end itches or even worse during the political campaigns. it still has been a real good source to keep up with family and friends whom I live quite a few states away from now since I moved from my home turf many years ago...

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973