Gilmore to be...a patriot

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was a mistake not franchising Gilmore and getting another dangled carrot season out of him.

But giving him a long term deal at $14M+ is a bad decision by the Patriots.

He IS a coward for contact......yeah he can hit a prone receiver once in a while but he is a terrible tackler and has had multiple shoulder and concussion issues because of that fact.....despite being generally unwilling physically.

My guess is that he will finish more seasons than not on IR or inactive the rest of his career......which he was prone to in Buffalo too.

Maybe the Patriots are right but I'm generally a talent horder and I will not miss him at $14M+.

I actually like the idea of being more physical and using TE's more against a team like the Pats if Gilmore is playing......he is terrified of tackling TE's......unlike the typically feisty NE corners.

Badol, the Pats HAVE to spend stupid money somewhere to meet the cap floor. They went into FA some $60-odd million under the cap, and they're even further under the cap in 2018 and 2019. As someone said above, First World problems.

He couldn't cover Hogan, what makes NE think he's gonna be able to cover a real NFL WR?

First time he sallies up on a tackle will be the last time he sees the field in NE.

He couldn't cover Hogan, what makes NE think he's gonna be able to cover a real NFL WR?

First time he sallies up on a tackle will be the last time he sees the field in NE.

BB already knows that he doesn't tackle. The Pats plan on getting big leads, and shutting down teams who are forced to pass. For what it's worth, even teams with late leads against the Pats don't apparently run the ball either.

For those wondering why the Pats are spending money on Gilmore: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/08/patriots-in-great-salary-cap-shape-heading-into-2017/. They went in $63 million under the cap.

As I said above, the floor is an issue. Teams have to average spending 89 percent of the cap over a four-year period, and going into the current 2017 FA period, the Pats' salary-total situation for 2018 and 2019 was ridiculously low too.

Blame Jonathan Meeks on that play. He blew the coverage assignment.

Edited by dave mcbride

Badol, the Pats HAVE to spend stupid money somewhere to meet the cap floor. They went into FA some $60-odd million under the cap, and they're even further under the cap in 2018 and 2019. As someone said above, First World problems.

Yes I was going to mention that they've EARNED the right to take chances like this by being shrewd and stacking all that cheez.

Personally, Gilmore aggravated the hell out of me with his tendency to let up on plays he had BLANKETED and give up stunning big gains or TD's during his career........he had a stretch from regular season thru preseason once where 3 or 4 consecutive TD's that he gave up were to rookies.....which was just a lack of competitiveness/focus.

And his tackling.......you almost HAD to root for him to not make a tackle because his body can't take it.

The image of him frozen in fear as Jimmy Graham hurdles him I will never forget........it was like......"ok, this is going to be a car accident I should just go limp".

Excellent cover guy when engaged and maybe Belichick can push his buttons but a long term deal by the Bills to him had regret written all over it.

Should have franchised though! They have the money and I hate leaving a rookie HC understocked. Could have groomed his replacement from this draft and let him walk next year.

Edited by #BADOL

Yes I was going to mention that they've EARNED the right to take chances like this by being shrewd and stacking all that cheez.

Personally, Gilmore aggravated the hell out of me with his tendency to let up on plays he had BLANKETED and give up stunning big gains or TD's during his career........he had a stretch from regular season thru preseason once where 3 or 4 consecutive TD's that he gave up were to rookies.....which was just a lack of competitiveness/focus.

And his tackling.......you almost HAD to root for him to not make a tackle because his body can't take it.

The image of him frozen in fear as Jimmy Graham hurdles him I will never forget........it was like......"ok, this is going to be a car accident I should just go limp".

Excellent cover guy when engaged and maybe Belichick can push his buttons but a long term deal by the Bills to him had regret written all over it.

Should have franchised though! They have the money and I hate leaving a rookie HC understocked. Could have groomed his replacement from this draft and let him walk next year.

I agree about franchising. I think his cover skills more than make up for the tackling issue, just like I don't put a ton of stock in WR blocking skills (although I'd rather the WR be a good blocker than not, of course).

The Patriots NEVER SPEND BIG however, and they just did it on Gilmore. For everyone who has been complaining about Gilmore for the last however many years needs to just take a seat for 5 min.

It's like clock work. And it's also wrong.

The New England Patriots just signed kicker Stephen Gostkowski to a record setting 4-year, $17.2 million contract. This is the biggest contract ever given to a kicker in NFL history. No big deal.

The Patriots actually have a history of setting the market with record setting contracts. Here's the full list (h/t to PatsCap's Miguel for filling in some of the blanks):

2000: Roughly two weeks after hiring Bill Belichick, the Patriots sign safety Lawyer Milloy to a 7-year, $36 million contract that was the largest in the NFL for a safety.

2003: The Patriots signed former Bears linebacker Rosevelt Colvin to a most 7-year, $30 million contract in March of 2003. That was the third largest for a linebacker to the Ravens' Ray Lewis' 7-year, $50 million deal signed in August 2002, and the Falcons' Keith Brooking's 7-year, $41 million contract signed in February 2003. Soon after Colvin signed, linebackers Takeo Spikes, Zach Thomas, and Brian Urlacher all signed contracts for more money, but Colvin's was at the top of the market.

2007: Former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas signs a 5-year, $35 million contract with the Patriots, snagging the largest cap hit in the league, and earning the title of "highest priced free agent in Patriots franchise history."

2008: New England Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss signs a 3-year, $27 million contract. The $9 million average per year (APY) is fourth most in the league, behind just the Texans' Andre Johnson's $11.7 million APY, the Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald's $10 million APY (this was a rookie contract), and the Colts' Marvin Harrison's $9.6 million APY.

2010 March: Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork signs a 5-year, $40 million contract, making him the highest paid nose tackle in the NFL.

2010 September: Quarterback Tom Brady signs a 4-year, $72 million contract, making him the highest paid player in the NFL.

2011 August: Offensive guard Logan Mankins signs a 6-year, $51 million contract, making him the highest paid guard in the NFL.

2011 December: The Patriots sign linebacker Jerod Mayo to a 5-year, $48.5 million contract extension, behind just 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis' 5-year, $50 million contract for the highest paid in the league.

2012: Tight end Rob Gronkowski signs a 6-year, $53 million contract, making him the highest paid tight end in NFL history.

2014: Patriots sign cornerback Darrelle Revis to a 2-year, $32 million contract, the $16 million APY the richest value for a cornerback in the league.

2015 March: Safety Devin McCourty signs a 5-year, $47.5 million contract with a safety-record $28.5 million guaranteed. His $9.5 million APY is the second most for a safety, behind just the Seahawks' Earl Thomas.

2015 July: The Patriots make Stephen Gostkowski the highest paid kicker in NFL history with a 4-year, $17.2 million contract.

I don't have the stats to prove it but he would frustrate me by giving up key first downs.

I know that it wasn't all his fault but I really think we could have won more football games if he would have put forth more effort. The skillset was there.

I agree about franchising. I think his cover skills more than make up for the tackling issue, just like I don't put a ton of stock in WR blocking skills (although I'd rather the WR be a good blocker than not, of course).

It's not about the tackling........it's about not being able to do it without getting hurt........he hasn't played an entire season since his rookie year.... and regularly finishes the year in street clothes..........that isn't likely to get better with age or work out well in a Patriots environment where you are expected to be just as physical as everybody else. Doing your job mantra works when everyone does the basics........not sure about "Gilmore rules" working in NE.

There's a reason smart teams don't let a player like Gilmore reach FA. He's going to be feeding a lot of people here crow at our expense.

didn't the Pats let go of Aquib Talib, and Asante Samuel in the past? Good and bad teams both keep decent players, and let them go. In fact, the Pats might be the worst example to pick of a team that retains its star players. Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones, Vince Wilfork, Martellus Bennett, Lawyer Milloy, Wes Welker, are just a couple of difference makers for the Pats that they separated from. You can't keep everybody... No one ever does. and the Pats haven't been flawless in their FA acquisitions either. The main factor in their storied success is BB and the GOAT.

Gilmore is getting $14+ million per year?

"ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the deal will go through "barring any final snags" while NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the deal will "eclipse $14 million per year." It is a shocking move. Gilmore was arguably the best cornerback available, but he is coming off a down year and the Patriots usually do not shop near the top of the market. With Gilmore signing in New England, free agent CB Logan Ryan will certainly be looking for a new home. The future of free agent LB Dont'a Hightower is also in doubt."

source: rotoworld - http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

I saw enough of his unwillingness to tackle late in the year, and him throwing team mates under the bus when there was a blown coverage. Later dude.

I will miss Robert and Aaron though.

Edited by KHAN

didn't the Pats let go of Aquib Talib, and Asante Samuel in the past? Good and bad teams both keep decent players, and let them go. In fact, the Pats might be the worst example to pick of a team that retains its star players. Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones, Vince Wilfork, Martellus Bennett, Lawyer Milloy, Wes Welker, are just a couple of difference makers for the Pats that they separated from. You can't keep everybody... No one ever does. and the Pats haven't been flawless in their FA acquisitions either. The main factor in their storied success is BB and the GOAT.

They got early draft picks for Collins and Jones, they got a draft pick for Seymor, heck, they got a second round pick for Cassel. They replaced Talib with Revis, literally every other guy you mentioned was at the end of his career. You really want to use them as an example of letting good players walk for nothing in their primes?

As Bills fans, we are obviously focusing on Gilmore leaving us for NE......but I'm more upset about them replacing M. Bennet with D. Allen for practically nothing.....it's like the Colts haven't been beaten enough by them.....the 2 TEs set ( if Gronk stays healthy ) will be in force again in Foxboro....

Honestly I think the 2017 Patriots (with a healthy Gronk) would beat the 2016 SB winning version 9/10 times and we're just getting started.

Good. Glory is still there for the taking by BEATING THEM! No "yeah but it's not the same Patriots team" excuses. True. It's not. It's a lot better.

I think it was a mistake not franchising Gilmore and getting another dangled carrot season out of him.

But giving him a long term deal at $14M+ is a bad decision by the Patriots.

He IS a coward for contact......yeah he can hit a prone receiver once in a while but he is a terrible tackler and has had multiple shoulder and concussion issues because of that fact.....despite being generally unwilling physically.

My guess is that he will finish more seasons than not on IR or inactive the rest of his career......which he was prone to in Buffalo too.

Maybe the Patriots are right but I'm generally a talent horder and I will not miss him at $14M+.

I actually like the idea of being more physical and using TE's more against a team like the Pats if Gilmore is playing......he is terrified of tackling TE's......unlike the typically feisty NE corners.

Think he's going to want to tackle Tolbert?

The Patriots have reached the level where people go in to games against them and get all "aww shucks it's an honor to lose to you guys!"

Very few teams seem to have what it takes to knock them off. When the Ravens were great they just wanted the chance to punch them out and usually gave them trouble and beat them a few times when it counted. Ditto for the Giants. The Broncos had one year with their defense where they were ready to roll against them. In all cases having angry bad dudes on defense was the key.

But so many teams (I'm looking at you Atlanta) have this "well, golly we're just happy to have flirted with the W..." type attitude when it comes to NE. They are in everyone's heads.

I thought this league was full of alpha type guys who were hyper competitive?

I would want a crack at them every damn week! Beating them=glory. Beating them when it really counts (post-season)=you are a star.

Losing to them= what everyone does. You're playing with house money.

Edited by TheFunPolice

On the Hogan play, he seemed to not even know his assignment.

He knew his assignment. He also knew the safety's assignment and knew that the safety blew it. I hated his reaction of giving up on the play and blaming his teammates, but his talent and football intelligence should not be in question.

Think he's going to want to tackle Tolbert?

No, Tolbert has been a punishing beast, which has always added a lot of value to him, IMO, despite his low per-touch stats.

If I am a play caller I am getting some screens to big bodies on that side of the field and when Gilmore breaks his shoulder or forearm or gets knocked cold again then maybe you get to work on his backup.

They need to bring Gillislee back.......for a back with some power there is extra room to run on Gilmore's side.

I am a bit perplexed by this move by Belichick.

No, Tolbert has been a punishing beast, which has always added a lot of value to him, IMO, despite his low per-touch stats.

If I am a play caller I am getting some screens to big bodies on that side of the field and when Gilmore breaks his shoulder or forearm or gets knocked cold again then maybe you get to work on his backup.

They need to bring Gillislee back.......for a back with some power there is extra room to run on Gilmore's side.

I really think he'll play well there. Teams *have* to pass a lot against the Pats, and they have to make a lot of intermediate and deeper throws simply to catch up (chances are they'll be behind from early on in the game). He is one of the best in the league at that part of the game. It makes a ton of sense to me.

Going back to 2010, the Pats have been in the top ten (and often near the very top of the league) in terms of passes thrown against their defense.

Relying on passes to Mike Tolbert (Booby Dixon Mach II) or players like him is not going to put points on the board. Going into a NE game, you know your team needs to score 30 if you're going to have any chance. That means WRs have to be targeted early and often.

Edited by dave mcbride

Screens to !@#$ing Tolbert.

Good god people.

If they get Gilmore and lose Butler it's a push

It's especially not a push if the Gilmore acquisition allows them to also trade Butler for Cook. Also, the Pats traded their all-star LB in Collins in-season and get a pick for him while the younger player who replaced him played just as well or almost as well for a much cheaper price. The end result of the deal is that the Pats get a third round pick and more cap space to maneuver. Being a maestro is better than a person playing in a garage band. And by the way they just won the SB. You might not be impressed but I am.