Gilmore to be...a patriot

It's hardly any of Gilmore's fault, actually. He has played well.

Exactly. So if he has played well and the defense has still sucked why would the Bills make him the 2nd highest paid CB? Obviously his play hasnt been a game changer. Theres no Gilmore island last i heard.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, top rated CB's usually hit the jackpot in free agency. This has been going on for two decades and the Bills continually pick these guys in the first round....only to see them walk.

To me, that is a waste. If your philosophy is to not pay a top corner top money, stop using first round draft picks on them.

If the Bills select another corner in the first this year, how will you feel?

I would be fine with that. The Bills got five good years out of Gilmore at relatively low prices. Chances are, he does not have 5 more years of top performance in him. Just the way it is. If the Bills could select another strong starting corner in round 1 I would be all for it. I know many disagree with that philosophy, but to me it is much better to get young corners who can play and devote bigger contracts to other positions. It is the teams who have been unable to do that who are paying the outrageous contracts to these guys because they have failed to find good options in the draft and it is a critical position.

Very unlike Pats* to pay top market rate for FAs

I was thinking the exact same thing on the way to work when I heard this. Who knows how much they paid him. My thoughts are that he may have taken less money with NE because he now has a viable shot at winning a championship. Stay with the Bills, show him the money because he could play his whole career in Buffalo and never get close to a ring.

I feel a little better about it w/ the Butler news. Even though the Pats will get a very good WR, Gilmore is a bit of a downgrade from Butler.

Butler is a very physical, hard-hitting CB, and just as good a cover guy as Gilmore. They'll be paying more for a worse CB.

I would love to know how people are going to use our 3 picks in the top 155 to get a QB to groom, a WR- 2, a day 1 starting corner, 2 safeties to replace Williams & Graham long term, a linebacker that fits McD's scheme and a RT. The answer in every single FA thread is "the draft is loaded at that position", but we've proven ourselves to be one of the worst franchises at building draft pick capital and we simply don't have enough to it to fill every hole. Losing Gilmore opened up another one. We used cap space that easily could have retained him to fill luxury positions that are usually filled by undrafted players. How people are rationalizing this over his inability to tackle (its a corner, who cares) or willingness to pay him $12 mil but not $14 is amazing.

They should strongly consider trading down where possible and they'll have to get lucky with lower tiered UFAs like they did in a couple of instances in 2016.

Exactly. So if he has played well and the defense has still sucked why would the Bills make him the 2nd highest paid CB? Obviously his play hasnt been a game changer. Theres no Gilmore island last i heard.

That's not a fair way to look at things. There are 11 players out there. If there 3 great ones but lots of mediocre ones and a bad scheme that misutilizes talent, it'll be bad. Gilmore had a great season in 2014 and the Bills were 2nd in DVOA.

I would love to know how people are going to use our 3 picks in the top 155 to get a QB to groom, a WR- 2, a day 1 starting corner, 2 safeties to replace Williams & Graham long term, a linebacker that fits McD's scheme and a RT. The answer in every single FA thread is "the draft is loaded at that position", but we've proven ourselves to be one of the worst franchises at building draft pick capital and we simply don't have enough to it to fill every hole. Losing Gilmore opened up another one. We used cap space that easily could have retained him to fill luxury positions that are usually filled by undrafted players. How people are rationalizing this over his inability to tackle (its a corner, who cares) or willingness to pay him $12 mil but not $14 is amazing.

Well said! and this is why we will be going on 20-25 years with this team being a joke. We make awful decisions that are focused on the short term; let our #1 young CB go so we can replace him in the draft with the few picks we have and never really use the picks to improve...

Can't disagree here.

Still he would've been a big help here and two automatic losses to the Patriots really hurts us every year....

Agree on the 2 automatic losses. But Gilmore isnt really head and shoulders better than what they already had at CB. Them getting Brandon Marshall or an elite pass rusher wouldve scared me more.

I don't think you understand how that works. It's net free agents lost with their salary taken into account. I highly doubt we sign even an iota close to either of those numbers.

I understand how it works.

I feel a little better about it w/ the Butler news. Even though the Pats will get a very good WR, Gilmore is a bit of a downgrade from Butler.

Butler is a very physical, hard-hitting CB, and just as good a cover guy as Gilmore. They'll be paying more for a worse CB.

Butler is a better tackler, but Gilmore is better in coverage.

Agree on the 2 automatic losses. But Gilmore isnt really head and shoulders better than what they already had at CB. Them getting Brandon Marshall or an elite pass rusher wouldve scared me more.

Brandon Cooks is a better player than Brandon Marshall at this point in Marshall's career, and I don't even think it's debatable.

The Patriots will be not only remembered as one of the great dynasty's but they will also always have the largest black cloud over the franchise from all time for all of the cheating allegations during their reign. Ultimately all you have after your gone is how you are remembered. They will forever be linked to cheating.

If and when the Bills ever win one we can take solace in the fact I'm sure there will be no such allegations to tarnish our championship.

Edited by Estelle Getty

That's not a fair way to look at things. There are 11 players out there. If there 3 great ones but lots of mediocre ones and a bad scheme that misutilizes talent, it'll be bad. Gilmore had a great season in 2014 and the Bills were 2nd in DVOA.

Again, im not saying Gilmore is a bad player. Hes a good player. We got half a decade out of him with very little success. We got his best years.

Is Gimore as good as Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman? No. But the pats are paying him as if he is. Bc they have Brady and can afford to cut corners throughout the roster. We cant.

Well said! and this is why we will be going on 20-25 years with this team being a joke. We make awful decisions that are focused on the short term; let our #1 young CB go so we can replace him in the draft with the few picks we have and never really use the picks to improve...

We really can't keep signing guys to max deals though. We're already overpaying for Dareus - which I don't mind terribly, since he's a great player when out there. But to pay Gilmore $14+ is overpaying, and he just hasn't justified that.

Again, im not saying Gilmore is a bad player. Hes a good player. We got half a decade out of him with very little success. We got his best years.

Is Gimore as good as Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman? No. But the pats are paying him as if he is. Bc they have Brady and can afford to cut corners throughout the roster. We cant.

I dunno. The Bills were 4th in DVOA in 2013 and 2nd in 2014. Then Rex came in and it all went downhill.

Butler is a better tackler, but Gilmore is better in coverage.

Brandon Cooks is a better player than Brandon Marshall at this point in Marshall's career, and I don't even think it's debatable.

Agreed on Cooks but they have to give up a really good player for him. Marshall wouldve just been $$$

Marshall, butler, gilmore >> than Cooks, Gilmore

Butler is at least equal to him in coverage, imo. Butler blankets his guy just like Gilmore does - but doesn't have the lapses Gilmore does.

We just disagree. Butler plays a lot of zone as far as I can see. He's a good player, but he has limitations and I've seen him beaten like a drum before (Antonio Brown ate him alive in 2015). Again, he's a good player.