NYJ Releasing Brandon Marshall, Signs with the NYG

Does Marshall really have that much leverage at this point in his career? If the price is right I don't see him necessarily turning it down.

he asked for his release. He said the Jets offered him an extension and he wanted out. Team going younger.

Also today Bowles said Sackenberg and Petty would be competing for the starting job. That's enough to make him bolt.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I understand the appeal, he's only a year removed from a huge year and he's been a beast in the past.

But this past year I saw him drop a ton of passes, he's a bit of a head case and I don't think he's ever been the #2 receiver which would concern me.

I'm also pretty sure that he's never sniffed the playoffs so probably not a great fit despite the talent

Gotta think he's going to a contender. Has the guy even made the playoffs yet in his career?

If he has his way, you're right:

“I’m tired of watching the playoffs on my couch,” he said in January. “It’s been a frustrating year. It’s been a frustrating career.”

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-granting-brandon-marshall-his-release-source-says-1.13202408

Sign Marshall to an affordable contract and then get DeSean Jackson, who said in the Fall he misses playing with McCoy, for $1-2M less than Woods would cost.

Brandon Marshall was due $7.5 million in base salary in 2017

DeSean Jax has a market value of $7.5 million per Sportrac

Robert Woods has a market value of $8 million per Sportrac

We don't have money for any of the above barring a tear down (which is not likely based on KYle Williams' returning) and even then, we'd be wiser to spread around the $$ to pick up more players--not shooting our wad on one big splash and four dumpster diving pick ups.

We need Whaley to do one of the things I think we'd all agree he has a pretty good knack for ... finding FAs who produce on one year prove it deals and he's hit on some pretty damn good ones (even the haters have to concede that fact).

Well I guess I would consider it if we got Cutler...

...that's not to say that I actually want Cutler, I don't; but that would make me ok with Marshall. That's when Cutler was actually good. It was like Kurt Warner/Fitz/Boldin, Marshall could have all 11 defenders covering him and Cutler would still throw to him... and complete it.

he asked for his release. He said the Jets offered him an extension and he wanted out. Team going younger.

Also today Bowles said Sackenberg and Petty would be competing for the starting job. That's enough to make him bolt.

I'm surprised that they would say that at this point about their starting QB. Why would they hamstring themselves like that? Of course,it IS that time of year for deception and generalizations.

jets are gonna be bad next year

They get it. They were going to be bad anyway so they are cutting the dead weight and pruning the team so that this year won't be pointless but a stepping stone to compete.

If the Jets play this correctly they will "luck" themselves into a top 3 pick in a strong 2018 QB draft.

Edited by jeffismagic

Brandon Marshall was due $7.5 million in base salary in 2017

DeSean Jax has a market value of $7.5 million per Sportrac

Robert Woods has a market value of $8 million per Sportrac

We don't have money for any of the above barring a tear down (which is not likely based on KYle Williams' returning) and even then, we'd be wiser to spread around the $$ to pick up more players--not shooting our wad on one big splash and four dumpster diving pick ups.

We need Whaley to do one of the things I think we'd all agree he has a pretty good knack for ... finding FAs who produce on one year prove it deals and he's hit on some pretty damn good ones (even the haters have to concede that fact).

One of those guys is not as good as the others...(hint: he's the guy with the largest value per Sportrac)

Be a great pick up.

Unfortunately I don't think he'd be interested in coming here.

He campaigned to play with Fitz for another season.

I don't think a little inconsistency at the QB position will scare this guy.

Be a great pick up.

Unfortunately I don't think he'd be interested in coming here.

He may not have that many suitors, he's toxic in the locker room when things go wrong. He needs strong personalities on the roster to reign him in.

^ You're both probably right. We could feasibly sign one of them though. And it would be super easy to do in Madden. Actually, if they drop Taylor and go with a rookie QB it is doable in real life.

I'm sure Marshall would love to come to a team with a rookie QB.