The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

Obama was handed the Nobel Prize after accomplishing nothing at all.... the media treated it like the 2nd and 3rd coming of Jesus, still do...

The media wouldn't listen to the people during the election, and they aren't listening now as people have stopped paying any attention at all to them.

Do you need some cheese to go with this wine?

If they stopped paying attention, then what's the fuss about?

I guess AP and the NYT will be shuttered up 100% within the next 5 or so years?

Good !@#$ing riddance.

Good! Let it happen.

President Trump really is a jerk. I am a life long Boy Scout and now my son enters the Eagle Scout rank (last year).

Here is our National's and our Council's response to Trump acting like he's on the campaign trail @ this year's Jambo:

From E-mail:

"Below is the 2017 National Jamboree Presidential Visit Response from the Boy Scouts of America.

The Boy Scouts of America is wholly non-partisan and does not promote any one position, product, service, political candidate or philosophy.

The invitation for the sitting U.S. President to visit the National Jamboree is a long-standing tradition and is in no way an endorsement of any political party or specific policies.

Every sitting U.S. President has served as the BSAs honorary president. It is our long-standing custom to invite the U.S. President to the National Jamboree.

Additional information:

Since its inception in 1910, each sitting U.S. President has served as the Boy Scouts of Americas honorary president. It is a long-standing tradition for the Boy Scouts of America to invite the U.S. President to attend the National Jamboree. Seven of the 11 U.S. Presidents who were in office at the time of the National Jamboree attended the event in person to address the largest gathering of Scouts in the country. Most recently, President George W. Bush visited the Jamboree in 2005, President William J. Clinton in 1997 and President George H. W. Bush in 1989.

This not a political statement. The sitting U.S. President serves as the BSAs honorary president. It is our long-standing custom to invite the U.S. President to the National Jamboree.

The Boy Scouts of America is wholly non-partisan and does not favor the interests of one political candidate over another. We do not promote any one position, product, service, political candidate or philosophy. The invitation for the sitting U.S. President to visit the National Jamboree is a long-standing tradition and is in no way an endorsement of any political party or specific policies."

Do you need some cheese to go with this wine?

60353045.jpg

I complain, but I have shame.

SALENA ZITO: Why the Rust Belt just gave Donald Trump a hero’s welcome.

Trump’s approval rating, according to Gallup, is 39 percent. Youngstown is the 39 percent.

On Monday, police said that the advance ticket request of over 20,000 had exceeded the 6,000-seat capacity of the center, prompting the event coordinators to put a large screen outside the center for the overflow crowd.

Dave Torrance, from Hermitage, Pa., had left early in the morning with three of his friends to see Trump. Torrance, 71, wore a blue ball cap with “American Patriot” embroidered across the top and a navy T-shirt with an American flag across the front.

Torrance, who is black, says he gets his fair share of criticism from folks when they find out who he supports. He got more when he told them he was driving to see him in person at the rally.

“They don’t understand why I think he is doing OK,” he said. “They don’t think because I am black that I should support him. I am polite about it, but I tell them that politics isn’t about color, it is about accomplishments, and I think Trump is doing the right things.”

Nearly half of surveyed Republican adults favor shutting down “biased” media outlets, a new The Economist/YouGov poll found. According to the data, published Wednesday, 45 percent of self-identified Republicans favor “permitting the courts to shut down news media outlets for publishing or broadcasting stories that are biased or inaccurate.” An additional 20 percent opposed such an idea, and 51 percent said they “haven’t heard enough to say.” Conversely, only 18 percent of Democrats favored the idea, with 39 percent opposing it. Overall, the poll found, only 28 percent of American adults favor using the courts to shut down “biased” media, with 29 percent opposing and 43 percent undecided.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/poll-45-of-republicans-favor-shutting-down-biased-media-outlets

Nearly half of surveyed Republican adults favor shutting down “biased” media outlets, a new The Economist/YouGov poll found. According to the data, published Wednesday, 45 percent of self-identified Republicans favor “permitting the courts to shut down news media outlets for publishing or broadcasting stories that are biased or inaccurate.” An additional 20 percent opposed such an idea, and 51 percent said they “haven’t heard enough to say.” Conversely, only 18 percent of Democrats favored the idea, with 39 percent opposing it. Overall, the poll found, only 28 percent of American adults favor using the courts to shut down “biased” media, with 29 percent opposing and 43 percent undecided.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/poll-45-of-republicans-favor-shutting-down-biased-media-outlets

That's a smaller percentage than Democrats.

Nearly half of surveyed Republican adults favor shutting down “biased” media outlets, a new The Economist/YouGov poll found. According to the data, published Wednesday, 45 percent of self-identified Republicans favor “permitting the courts to shut down news media outlets for publishing or broadcasting stories that are biased or inaccurate.” An additional 20 percent opposed such an idea, and 51 percent said they “haven’t heard enough to say.” Conversely, only 18 percent of Democrats favored the idea, with 39 percent opposing it. Overall, the poll found, only 28 percent of American adults favor using the courts to shut down “biased” media, with 29 percent opposing and 43 percent undecided.http://www.thedailybeast.com/poll-45-of-republicans-favor-shutting-down-biased-media-outlets

Don't like what you read, watch, and hear? Just get rid of it I guess. Not exactly a highly evolved line of thinking.

The contempt for our first amendment is a sad commentary. Worrisome, too. Especially when the chief person sworn to defend and protect our Constitution is leading the charge.

Don't like what you read, watch, and hear? Just get rid of it I guess. Not exactly a highly evolved line of thinking.

The contempt for our first amendment is a sad commentary. Worrisome, too. Especially when the chief person sworn to defend and protect our Constitution is leading the charge.

:beer:

What's scarier is the Democrats are just as dedicated to the same philosophy - and have actually taken it a half-step further (trying to ban Fox from the White House press pool in 2009).

Both parties want to silence opposition...which leaves no one to halt the charge.

What's scarier is the Democrats are just as dedicated to the same philosophy - and have actually taken it a half-step further (trying to ban Fox from the White House press pool in 2009).

Both parties want to silence opposition...which leaves no one to halt the charge.

No, Republicans elected a person at war with a free press

This friction between the president and the media is nothing new. It goes all the way back to the Alien and Sedition Act in 1798 with Adams. Specifically imprisoning newspaper editors who opposed the federal government.

Edited by Doc Brown

This friction between the president and the media is nothing new. It goes all the way back to the Alien and Sedition Act in 1798 with Adams. Specifically imprisoning newspaper editors who opposed the federal government.

Nor is fake news, for that matter.

Yeah but DRAMA

Yeah but the ability to instantly disseminate fake news to hundreds of millions if not billions of people REPEATEDLY and as often as desired, is a new phenomenon for society that the founders couldn't have imagined. The onus is on us as consumers, more than ever, to empower ourselves with the knowledge necessary to wade through the muck.

Yeah but the ability to instantly disseminate fake news to hundreds of millions if not billions of people REPEATEDLY and as often as desired, is a new phenomenon for society that the founders couldn't have imagined. The onus is on us as consumers, more than ever, to empower ourselves with the knowledge necessary to wade through the muck.

If you're talking about Twitter, Youtube, and Facebook as the disseminaters , they have "safety councils" that target almost exclusively conservative groups for censorship. They just don't have the balls to ban Trump.

Both sides want to silence opposing viewpoints, but only the left is moving towards implementation.

Edited by unbillievable

i disagree

50 years ago the national news was quite skillful at adhering to a national standard and not discussing controversy. there was a lot of deception. there was a lot of news that was ignored, shaped and bias.

prior to that when the radio was all that was carried, it was similar.

local press and newspapers have swung elections more so then ever before. local elections, mostly, where the true actions take place

Nearly half of surveyed Republican adults favor shutting down biased media outlets, a new The Economist/YouGov poll found. According to the data, published Wednesday, 45 percent of self-identified Republicans favor permitting the courts to shut down news media outlets for publishing or broadcasting stories that are biased or inaccurate. An additional 20 percent opposed such an idea, and 51 percent said they havent heard enough to say. Conversely, only 18 percent of Democrats favored the idea, with 39 percent opposing it. Overall, the poll found, only 28 percent of American adults favor using the courts to shut down biased media, with 29 percent opposing and 43 percent undecided.http://www.thedailybeast.com/poll-45-of-republicans-favor-shutting-down-biased-media-outlets

The ironic part is that more than likely most of that 45 percent (of self identified republicans that want biased or inaccurate media outlets shut down) don't realize that Fox News and Breitbart would be at the top of the list! They probably think Fox would be the only "news" outlet left... haha.

I really do miss the days when news was based more on fact than opinion, though (and that goes for both sides, obviously).

Edited by BillsFan4

The ironic part is that more than likely most of that 45 percent (of self identified republicans that want biased or inaccurate media outlets shut down) don't realize that Fox News and Breitbart would be at the top of the list! They probably think Fox would be the only "news" outlet left... haha.

I really do miss the days when news was based more on fact than opinion, though (and that goes for both sides, obviously).

You forgot CNN. Caught repeatedly in lies, and outright slander.

Edited by joesixpack

CNN lies

Fox News lies

Trump lies

What's your point?

Trump doesn't lie. He spews.

"Lies" implies there's some relation to facts, even if an overwhelmingly contrary one. I don't think Trump would know a fact if it bit him on the ass. Ergo, he can't "lie," he can only spout random statements unconnected from reality.

"Lies" implies there's some relation to facts, even if an overwhelmingly contrary one. I don't think Trump would know a fact if it bit him on the ass. Ergo, he can't "lie," he can only spout random statements unconnected from reality.

This is the kind of thing parents say about their especially impetuous 2 & 3 year olds.

This is the kind of thing parents say about their especially impetuous 2 & 3 year olds.

Is that supposed to be an argument against what I said? That is the kind of thing psychologists specializing in cognitive development say about 2 & 3 year olds.

Doesn't make it wrong. Just makes Trump a toddler.

Is that supposed to be an argument against what I said? That is the kind of thing psychologists specializing in cognitive development say about 2 & 3 year olds.

Doesn't make it wrong. Just makes Trump a toddler.

No, I'm agreeing with you. But at the same time, it's worth mentioning that if we are treating Trump as a toddler, than there's a case to be for not having him sit at the grown up table when grown up things are being discussed.

No, I'm agreeing with you. But at the same time, it's worth mentioning that if we are treating Trump as a toddler, than there's a case to be for not having him sit at the grown up table when grown up things are being discussed.

I admit the validity of your statement, while simultaneously expressing my preference for having a toddler as president, as an object civics lesson in the dangers of consolidated authoritarian power in a single executive office.

I admit the validity of your statement, while simultaneously expressing my preference for having a toddler as president, as an object civics lesson in the dangers of consolidated authoritarian power in a single executive office.

I hear you and I get your point. It just scares me because it seems like a badly written sit-com type of solution. I mean, there’s a reason you don’t let Gilligan fix the coconut radio. Sure, it would be great if the Skipper and the Professor could get on the same page and get something done, but as Deranged Rhino will point out, none of it matters as long as Mr. Howell is pulling all the strings behind the scenes anyway. (the mofo's probably selling blowdarts to the headhunters on the sly).

Edited by Cugalabanza

I hear you and I get your point. It just scares me because it seems like a badly written sit-com type of solution. I mean, there’s a reason you don’t let Gilligan fix the coconut radio. Sure, it would be great if the Skipper and the Professor could get on the same page and get something done, but as Deranged Rhino will point out, none of it matters as long as Mr. Howell is pulling all the strings behind the scenes anyway. (the mofo's probably selling blowdarts to the headhunters on the sly).

Dude.

That was outstanding :lol:

:lol::beer:

:worthy:

Nice!

I hear you and I get your point. It just scares me because it seems like a badly written sit-com type of solution. I mean, theres a reason you dont let Gilligan fix the coconut radio. Sure, it would be great if the Skipper and the Professor could get on the same page and get something done, but as Deranged Rhino will point out, none of it matters as long as Mr. Howell is pulling all the strings behind the scenes anyway. (the mofo's probably selling blowdarts to the headhunters on the sly).

You win PPP.

Shut down the site. This is where we peak.

Hilarious. :beer:

:worthy:

That is awesome. :beer:

I never really thought it about it that way, and you know what? This is exactly what he does :lol:

I hear you and I get your point. It just scares me because it seems like a badly written sit-com type of solution. I mean, theres a reason you dont let Gilligan fix the coconut radio. Sure, it would be great if the Skipper and the Professor could get on the same page and get something done, but as Deranged Rhino will point out, none of it matters as long as Mr. Howell is pulling all the strings behind the scenes anyway. (the mofo's probably selling blowdarts to the headhunters on the sly).

So we're living in an episode of Gilligan's Island? Yeah, that's about right.