The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

On 3/17/2019 at 11:47 AM, Deranged Rhino said:

Did you watch it?  What does he say?  I don't have the time to watch it.  Tried to do it while working, but it's too distracting.  Not easy listening. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

(this is the topline)

Here's an idea.  Just say the Neo-nazi's and white suprmacists are to be totally condemned and leave it at that.  Avoids a lot of confusion.

43 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Them as well.  Just whatever you do don't say there's some very fine people on both sides.

I disagree with this sentiment, because it leaves the folks who were there protesting the removal of their heritage wrongly discarded as the racists the media (the left) were trying to paint them as; and continue to do as evidenced by the conversation we're having right now.

This is a culture war being fought right now, and the President did well not to discard his base, and allow the left to frame the terms of debate.  It's a mistake far too many Republicans have made in their fear of being called a racist, but the President doesn't care.  He's done the right thing, and has punched back, claiming the high ground, and making the charges of racism toothless, as the lies they are.

He's winning, and it's a major reason why.

Further, he needs to win, knows it, and would be a fool to relinquish his weapons.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I disagree with this sentiment, because it leaves the folks who were there protesting the removal of their heritage wrongly discarded as the racists the media (the left) were trying to paint them as; and continue to do as evidenced by the conversation we're having right now.

This is a culture war being fought right now, and the President did well not to discard his base, and allow the left to frame the terms of debate.  It's a mistake far too many Republicans have made in their fear of being called a racist, but the President doesn't care.  He's done the right thing, and has punched back, claiming the high ground, and making the charges of racism toothless, as the lies they are.

He's winning, and it's a major reason why.

Further, he needs to win, knows it, and would be a fool to relinquish his weapons.

I guess if you're in favor of the president creating even more divisiveness by engaging in culture wars, but he could've been clearer with his words if he's going to comment on an event that controversial that eventually lead to a death.

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I guess if you're in favor of the president creating even more divisiveness by engaging in culture wars, but he could've been clearer with his words if he's going to comment on an event that controversial that eventually lead to a death.

The President is not creating the divisiveness.

The President is simply not elegant when speaking off the cuff, and the media are choosing to try and frame his words in the worst way possible without providing context.  They have given up any pretext of simply reporting and allowing the reader/watcher to make up their mind, and have instead elected to lie and report that the President is saying things he is not, often on purpose.

The President spoke, and made a reasonable statement.

The divisiveness was created by those who reported something other than what he said.

As to the culture war, it's coming to a head and cannot be stopped.  The left and the right hold diametrically opposed, and incompatible views on how we should live.  Trump is a symptom of the problem.  He was elected because every day Americans got tired of being bullied further and and further to the left, being told they were homophobic/transphobic if they they didn't want grown men in their daughter's locker room, hateful if they wanted to peacefully practice their religion, misogynistic if they were against late term abortions, the cause of all the world's ills if they had the audacity to be born white, or God forbid, white AND male.

Trump was elected because conservatives finally woke up and recognized that the enemy was at the gates, and elected a war-time President to punch back and take back ground.  It's what he was elected to do.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The President is simply not elegant when speaking off the cuff, and the media are choosing to try and frame his words in the worst way possible without providing context.  They have given up any pretext of simply reporting and allowing the reader/watcher to make up their mind, and have instead elected to lie and report that the President is saying things he is not, often on purpose.

The divisiveness was created by those who reported something other than what he said.

He's adding to it.  Like when Obama said Trayvon Martin could've been his son.  Another example with Trump is when he called NFL kneelers "SOB's" that should be fired.

Edited by Doc Brown

10 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

As to the culture war, it's coming to a head and cannot be stopped.  The left and the right hold diametrically opposed, and incompatible views on how we should live.  Trump is a symptom of the problem.  He was elected because every day Americans got tired of being bullied further and and further to the left, being told they were homophobic/transphobic if they they didn't want grown men in their daughter's locker room, hateful if they wanted to peacefully practice their religion, misogynistic if they were against late term abortions, the cause of all the world's ills if they had the audacity to be born white, or God forbid, white AND male.

Trump was elected because conservatives finally woke up and recognized that the enemy was at the gates, and elected a war-time President to punch back and take back ground.  It's what he was elected to do.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I think there's still a chance that a truly transformational president that can help heal the divide with the 80% of people who aren't tfg on both sides.

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I think there's still a chance that a truly transformational president that can help heal the divide with the 80% of people who aren't tfg on both sides.

I'm not so sure.

It used to be that we wanted the same things, but had different ideas about how to get there; that's no longer the case.  There can be no compromise with what the left currently holds as their policy positions; and I'm not willing to discuss ideas with someone who says I'm a racist because I disagree with them, as there's no path towards resolution there.

The left has been fostering this divide for decades, and the right has continued to offer little resistance while giving ground.  We've just about reached Bleeding Kansas, and someone is going to have to win.  

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

He knows what buttons to push to drive you crazy

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Who do you think could be this transformational president today? In fact, what past president could do this today?

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Or, he’s a racist douche, too stupid to speak off the cuff. How do you blame the media when we hear his words live at press conference? He says what he says, the media isn’t editing it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1