Brian Hoyer anybody?

If we don't keep Tyrod we need a veteran presence to compete with Cardale or a potential draft pick. Hoyer is injury prone but has shown some positive things when healthy. QB rating in the 90's in 17 starts the last two years with 25 TD's to 7 INT's. 4 starts this year, before breaking his arm early in his 5th start vs GB. 4 full games games, all over 300 yards passing, 3 games with 2 TD's, no picks. He got his shot with Cleveland, Houston, and Chicago. Not exactly juggernaut offenses. Stat line is trending up fast. I would love to bring Hoyer into the competition.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod should be the starter until someone beats him. Cardale is a joke & Hoyer gets injured more than Romo.

The first sentence says if the Bills do not retain Tyrod. So if they don't who is the starter? Are we going to start a guy as green as Cardale or a rookie? I don't see it. We need a vet for a temporary period. If it's not a trade or Tyrod who is your guy?

The first sentence says if the Bills do not retain Tyrod. So if they don't who is the starter? Are we going to start a guy as green as Cardale or a rookie? I don't see it. We need a vet for a temporary period. If it's not a trade or Tyrod who is your guy?

Either trade for a vet like Romo or draft a rookie and play him. This of course is assuming the Bills move on from Tyrod. I would draft Watson at 10 and get him ready.

If they move on from Tyrod they need to spend the cap savings to re-sign or sign players at Impact positions, draft a QB and let him and Cardale battle it out. Forget the Hoyer's of the world.

But if you hated ground and pound the last two years get ready...

Edited by purple haze

If they move on from Tyrod they need to spend the cap savings to re-sign or sign players at Impact positions, draft a QB and let him and Cardale battle it out. Forget the Hoyer's of the world.

Ugh.... dont even wanna think about bak to bak tank seasons...

I would be after Hoyer Tyrod or no Tyrod. He either gives you a bridge option to start (though is admittedly a slight downgrade.... just not as big of a downgrade as I think the Tyrod lovers believe) or he is a solid vet backup.

If the Bears move on from Cutler however I think they will re-sign Hoyer before he hits the market.

I would be after Hoyer Tyrod or no Tyrod. He either gives you a bridge option to start (though is admittedly a slight downgrade.... just not as big of a downgrade as I think the Tyrod lovers believe) or he is a solid vet backup.

If the Bears move on from Cutler however I think they will re-sign Hoyer before he hits the market.

Whaleys plan is to get Cutler. His 2 biggest criticisms are trading up for Watkins and over paying for Clay. He feels the moves would be justified if he had a QB who could get them the ball. Not guaranteeing that he gets Cutler but I know thats the plan.

If we don't keep Tyrod we need a veteran presence to compete with Cardale or a potential draft pick. Hoyer is injury prone but has shown some positive things when healthy. QB rating in the 90's in 17 starts the last two years with 25 TD's to 7 INT's. 4 starts this year, before breaking his arm early in his 5th start vs GB. 4 full games games, all over 300 yards passing, 3 games with 2 TD's, no picks. He got his shot with Cleveland, Houston, and Chicago. Not exactly juggernaut offenses. Stat line is trending up fast. I would love to bring Hoyer into the competition.

heck no if we need garbage we could keep EJ

Let's give Cordele a shot if he busts that's great for us. We need to blow it up. We need 2 horrible seasons. I'm talking bout 1-15 type yrs

so if cardale sucks that is good? Wouldnt it be better for the bills and the fans if he was actually good. If tanking worked every time and so well every team would do it

so if cardale sucks that is good? Wouldnt it be better for the bills and the fans if he was actually good. If tanking worked every time and so well every team would do it

You must be new....we need to continue to lose to get higher draft choices.......forever

Guys if we don't keep Tyrod what do you think about FA QB EJ Manuel?

Either you are a troll or an idiot. Not sure which is worse.

Hoyer is a dude who will look good for 5 or 6 games until teams figure him out and then look terrible because he has no answers for that...

Either you are a troll or an idiot. Not sure which is worse.

Hoyer is a dude who will look good for 5 or 6 games until teams figure him out and then look terrible because he has no answers for that...

I think we need ANY quarterback that can hit a wide open receiver. As much as I love his attitude and work ethic, EJ has consistently been inconsistent!!!

its a question of what are the expectations? Hoyer stinks and has proven this over and over and over. He's not an upgrade from Tyrod but I dont think an upgrade is available. Cardale is another year or two from being able to be a competent starter. Tyrod is frustrating and I dont know if he can get any better as a passer but if we are trying to win as many games as possible we need to keep him. This season wasnt poor because of the offense, we made the mistake with Rex had a good D and he changed it. Now we have a good O and the next coach is going to change it? The better option is to play ______________ instead of Tyrod because Tyrod was Rex's guy. If they are moving on from Tyrod Jones for sure isnt the answer or Hoyer or any of the other names in free agency. So draft a guy and hope maybe someday after a few year he can develop where he can put up 26 pts a game. Wait we have that

I personally think Hoyer would be a downgrade to Tyrod. Keep in mind, we would probably be 10-6 this year (at least) if our defense plays somewhat competently instead of letting teams march up and down the field and scoring TDs.

Tyrod gives you that dual threat which helps open up the actual run game with shady. Hoyer doesn't provide that (see what the running game did against the jets with EJ in).

If we have Hoyer starting, our run game is severely diminished, Hoyer has to throw a lot more, and we don't control the ball or score points. I could easily see us being 5-11 with Hoyer starting

I have mentioned this before, draft Watson at ten (assuming he is there) and trade a 2018 conditional 7th pick for Nick Foles, KC is going to release him or trade him, his contract for 2017 is about ten million, but with no guarantee or cap hit if he's released. So best case, Watson is as good as Prescott or Wilson and Foles is released or 2nd string for the year, worse case we play Foles till Watson is ready.

Edited by frogger

you want to try to win without spending money at QB? Good luck with that.

I like Hoyer. Bring him in! For the right price though.

not for the wrong price? Good.

I have mentioned this before, draft Watson at ten (assuming he is there) and trade a 2018 conditional 7th pick for Nick Foles, KC is going to release him or trade him, his contract for 2017 is about ten million, but with no guarantee or cap hit if he's released. So best case, Watson is as good as Prescott or Wilson and Foles is released or 2nd string for the year, worse case we play Foles till Watson is ready.

What if Watson isn't available at 10 and what if KC won't trade Foles for a 7th?

I'm surprised by some of the reactions here. We look like we might be moving on from Tyrod. I'm not here debating if that makes sense or not. It seems possible, potentially more likely than not. If we do and we don't do anything but hope the draft or Cardale solves this we likely are looking at 5-11 season or worse. I don't want that and judging by this thread nobody else does either. So let's look at the FA list at QB from a realistic perspective. Cousins isn't going to be available, any and all options are flawed. We aren't going to be signing our franchise QB. Whoever we have a chance at signing will have some issues. So out of all the potentials that are realistic show me an option better than Hoyer. I don't see one.

I also love Tony Jefferson at SS from Arizona who is only 24 and coming off his best year. The Cardinals are cap pressed and he likely hits the market.

As far as QB, we always see cuts so maybe somebody more suitable than Hoyer becomes available, but as of now he seems like a great hold over option.

Maybe this thread helps put in perspective where we end up at if we do in fact cut Taylor?

Edited by KzooMike

What?

There is no possible way that anyone who understands football to any degree more than a 3rd grader would watch what EJ did here and especially the last 2 years where he has to come in and play and think he is a starting caliber QB. He was so bad in the last game he got benched for a raw rookie who isn't ready. Saying anything about starting EJ pretty much discredits you from having a strong grasp of football knowledge...

I'm surprised by some of the reactions here. We look like we might be moving on from Tyrod. I'm not here debating if that makes sense or not. It seems possible, potentially more likely than not. If we do and we don't do anything but hope the draft or Cardale solves this we likely are looking at 5-11 season or worse. I don't want that and judging by this thread nobody else does either. So let's look at the FA list at QB from a realistic perspective. Cousins isn't going to be available, any and all options are flawed. We aren't going to be signing our franchise QB. Whoever we have a chance at signing will have some issues. So out of all the potentials that are realistic show me an option better than Hoyer. I don't see one.

I also love Tony Jefferson at SS from Arizona who is only 24 and coming off his best year. The Cardinals are cap pressed and he likely hits the market.

As far as QB, we always see cuts so maybe somebody more suitable than Hoyer becomes available, but as of now he seems like a great hold over option.

Maybe this thread helps put in perspective where we end up at if we do in fact cut Taylor?

I guess the reaction from some, at least me, is that why settle for a QB likely worse than TT, are not better to be nice about it. Many here don't see the logic of dropping Taylor and then hope for something good to happen at QB over the next couple years. It' the defense that hurt us most this year. I wish the focus was there, and I can't understand why it's not.