Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

Well, he was replaced with their OL coach. So not well.

This...

I would have done something amazing. I can't tell you right now, but believe me it'll be yuge. The Bills are sad, believe me. I'm smarter than the coaches.

...and this made me literally LOL

Kelly never met the man before this hiring. So there's no possible way he's going to publicly anoint McD as the best hire ever. That would be stupid.

What Kelly needs to do is not talk smack about our QB. That was a total douche move when he made those recent comments about Tyrod.

And frankly I dont understand it.......

Jim Kelly: "It Takes Time" (2:33)
Bills' HOF Quarterback Jim Kelly talks about the hiring of Sean McDermott as head coach.

Watch: Behind the Scenes with Sean McDermott (5:27)
Check out what new head coach Sean McDermott's first hours as Bills head coach were like, as he toured the facilities, met the staff, and was introduced to the media.

What Kelly needs to do is not talk smack about our QB. That was a total douche move when he made those recent comments about Tyrod.

Ah yes - The Legend of Tyrod Failure. A short story about a limited QB and a rabid fan base hoping to find a QB after 20 years. It takes place in the quaint city of Buffalo and follows the journey of QB Tyrod Taylor and his quest to be the best QB since Jim Kelly. After going through a series of ragtag quarterbacks of Todd Collins, AVP, Flutie, Johnson,Bledsoe, Holcomb, JP, Edwards, Brohm, Fitzy, Manuel, Lewis, Tuel, Orton and finally Meh Cassel; where does Tyrod fit in? Most likely behind Beldsoe and Flutie. Only in this old-world, playoff barren land would you find the locals disagreeing with their HOF QB's answer regarding the play of Tyrod's failures by call him a disgrace, a douche and have unsubstantiated claims of CTE. This of course is what this area has sadly become, for, so long not knowing or remembering what good quarterbacking looks like; they throw their hopes behind The Little Quarterback Who Couldn't and stay blissfully blind to the fact that he still isn't good enough and just want to sneak in the playoffs to get promptly blown out by much better teams...

Edit: I couldn't help trolling

Edited by Reed83HOF

I don't see why he couldn't have contact.....plus we get an extra week of OTA's........again

We get two weeks of extra OTAs

But that's too little, too late.

The coaches are prohibited by the CBA from a lot of player contact: "Before the launch of the offseason program, players can’t participate in Club-supervised workouts, practices, group, or individual meetings with coaches, group or individual film study with coaches, or group or individual playbook study with coaches. This provision is the origin of periodic comments from coaches regarding their inability to communicate with players in the offseason." Likewise, while players are allowed to use the team's workout facilities, "strength and conditioning coaches (are) prevented from supervising workouts but permitted into supervise the weight room to prevent injury and correct misuse of the equipment."

Now nothing stops a coach from calling a player to chat, or a player from calling a coach. Then it's up to them whether it rises to the level of a "meeting, film study, or playbook study". At the end of the season, as I understand it, the coach and GM meet with each player and give them an evaluation of their season and what development(s) they would like to see in their game as well as an off-season conditioning program they would like them to follow off-season.

So my question is, with the old coach/staff moving out and the new coach/staff moving in, are the new folks allowed to have 1 such meeting to e v a l/discuss development? Or do they have to wait for OTAs? Or can they still meet while the playoffs are ongoing?

I stopped caring was Jim Kelly thinks

Jim was a talented QB with excellent leadership abilities and a real loyalty to Buffalo. I loved watching him and his teammates play the game.

But he doesn't have the sharpest football mind out there and - since his enthusiasm for Rex proved so misguided - I don't trust his ability to evaluate coaches (or players).

Jim was a talented QB with excellent leadership abilities and a real loyalty to Buffalo. I loved watching him and his teammates play the game.

But he doesn't have the sharpest football mind out there and - since his enthusiasm for Rex proved so misguided - I don't trust his ability to evaluate coaches (or players).

all true but I think he soured on Rex shortly after they had those beers at the big tree. Wish he would have voiced it to the pegulas but i guess he was busy fighting cancer #kellystrong

Even though they would likely be for glaringly different reasons, if Pegulas only gave McDermott two years to turn it around, like if they went with a rookie QB, it would be hard to get a top coach to come here after they jettisoned three straight coaches after only two years.

Not that I believe they have him on a short leash to turn it around. But that would be tough to sell to anyone.

Even though they would likely be for glaringly different reasons, if Pegulas only gave McDermott two years to turn it around, like if they went with a rookie QB, it would be hard to get a top coach to come here after they jettisoned three straight coaches after only two years.

Not that I believe they have him on a short leash to turn it around. But that would be tough to sell to anyone.

If that happens it will likely be because Whaley is fired and the new GM they bring in wants to hire his own HC. They might be able to sell future HCs that it isn't the norm due to those circumstances. Might.

But yeah, I'm hoping they give McDermott 4 years min, no matter the backlash from media and fans. Otherwise, as you say, it's a very hard sell to get players or coaches here. Money only gets one so far.

Unless McD is a total disaster, I don't see them pulling the plug after two years, especially if they think that the roster is the issue.

Unless McD is a total disaster, I don't see them pulling the plug after two years, especially if they think that the roster is the issue.

I got the sense from listening to Pegula and Whaley that they want to establish long term stability. TP realized he made a huge mistake and set the team back by hiring Rex (changing from a very successful D), and I believe he will let things play out for at least the next 4-5 years. Sure, Whaley can't have another major screw-up, but I think they don't want any more musical chairs.

I got the sense from listening to Pegula and Whaley that they want to establish long term stability. TP realized he made a huge mistake and set the team back by hiring Rex (changing from a very successful D), and I believe he will let things play out for at least the next 4-5 years. Sure, Whaley can't have another major screw-up, but I think they don't want any more musical chairs.

This is absolutely my sense too.

Yup, they would have to go 4-12 and draft another QB bust to blow it up in two years.

Andrew Brandt on McDermott: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/17/nfl-los-angeles-rams-los-angeles-chargers-oakland-raiders-las-vegas-relocations

Full disclosure: I have known Sean McDermott for some time, worked with him when I consulted with the Eagles, and talked to him in this hiring process. Having said that, the Bills got a gem. Sean is smart, self-motivated, even keeled and driven to succeed. And he will.