Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

It's not that big a cap hit compared to the rest of the league. 20th is about right for Taylor .

That's not the issue. It's tying up a good chunk of money for a player they're looking to replace ASAP.

Ranking the coaching hires: Who's No. 1?
Will Anthony Lynn's Chargers be in the playoffs a year from now? What's the most encouraging thing about Sean McVay's tenure with the Rams so far? Gregg Rosenthal ranks the hires from this cycle.

6) Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills: It's unfair to rank McDermott this low, but someone has to bring up the rear. McDermott is well respected throughout the NFL, but he has the fewest tangible assets and perhaps the most difficult job of the new coaches.

The Bills have high expectations and a flawed roster. The organization also has an entrenched GM in Doug Whaley who hasn't shown a great aptitude for finding talent. McDermott made his name as a defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers under a defensive-minded head coach in Ron Rivera, so it's difficult to tease out what his impact was. The Panthers' defense wasn't exactly a shutdown unit in his tenure, despite being well-coached. McDermott has been a defensive coordinator the last eight seasons between his time in Philadelphia and Carolina. Those defenses ranked in the top 10 in points allowed twice.

McDermott's offensive coordinator will be former Broncos OC Rick Dennison, a coach who was attached at the hip to Gary Kubiak for most of the last two decades. The Bills will likely be breaking in a new quarterback, one of many challenges for Dennison in the role. Perhaps McDermott and Dennison are NFL lifers who just needed this chance to show their value. They will have to be exceptional to excel in Buffalo, where they face an uphill task.

Fewest tangible assets among all of the teams who hired new coaches? Don't agree with this take.

Fewest tangible assets among all of the teams who hired new coaches? Don't agree with this take.

There are no new insights in Rosenthal's article and no reason to believe his opinion is any more valid than the opinions expressed here on TBD.

I probably think the roster is better than he does. And without inside information on our HC and coordinators, I'm not sure how well you can predict their success or failure. The resumes of our guys look a lot like the resumes of the guys coaching other teams. No better maybe but no worse. It's hard to know how good they really are. We'll just have to wait and see.

Of course, Rosenthal is paid to have an opinion even when he's not particularly well-informed. He writes this stuff cuz he has to.

It's a damn miracle that the Bills have managed to win 24 games over the last three seasons with the worst roster in the league.

Rex Ryan and Doug Marrone must be geniuses. Apparently, excess punt decisions really do work!

That's one of my problems with this process, the Bills are hiring a head coach not a defensive coordinator. Philips is the best DC in the NFL but no so great at being a head coach. The Chargers hired Lynn but he kept Wisenhunt as his OC which I think is a smart move.

I agree but I wish they would have gone hard after Wade Phillips, I think he is one of if not the best in DC in football.

Doesn't he run a 3-4 D? Which doesn't necessarily fit our personnel? I like Wade. McDermott is likely a better fit.