Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

@JaySkurski

[bN] Blitz: The major spots on Sean McDermott's staff have been filled, but there are still a few openings left. http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/20/updating-bills-coaching-staff-sean-mcdermott/

It's all about hope to me. Some have lost perspective on the situation, they just assume, for protection, that the future will be the past.

I like to think a few of us are tough enough as fans to be hopeful. Not saying it's easy, but I see no reason to fall down the tunnel of despair before it happens.

Yep. BBFS is tough overcome once in the grips of it.

who the heck was Vince Lombardi before he instilled a winning culture in the Green Bay Packers who were much more of a sad sack franchise then than the Bills are now.

Offensive coordinator of the New York Giants that had just lost the NFL Championship, Greatest Game of All Time.

At least our guy won.

It's completely your prerogative if you want to act as if the people running things now from ownership on down are responsible for 17 years and who the heck was Vince Lombardi before he instilled a winning culture in the Green Bay Packers who were much more of a sad sack franchise then than the Bills are now.

This is Whaley's 7th season with the team. Overdorf has been here 20. Russ has been here how long?

Maybe they aren't responsible for 17 years but damn sure not just 2.

McD has put together a quality coaching staff so far.

And when you look at this comparison with 2016, it is obvious that there were too many cooks and no leader on this team.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/20/updating-bills-coaching-staff-sean-mcdermott/

Every position had multiple assistants indicating either that the head was not doing his job or too many assistants with too many ideas.

This alone should help improve.

And when you look at this comparison with 2016, it is obvious that there were too many cooks and no leader on this team.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/20/updating-bills-coaching-staff-sean-mcdermott/

Every position had multiple assistants indicating either that the head was not doing his job or too many assistants with too many ideas.

This alone should help improve.

I think I said it elsewhere, but I knew they were in trouble when I saw the number of coaches they had. And I think they should keep Lal given what Sammy said and definitely re-sign Donnie Henderson.

@ChrisTrapasso

#Bills system evaluations: Sean McDermott Defense http://bit.ly/2j4rrrP

Rick Dennison Offense http://bit.ly/2kaAACx

After reading the piece about Dennison's offense and thinking about what TT has shown us in his two seasons as a starter, I see little in his game that lends itself well to that scheme. Certainly much of that can be attributed to what Roman preferred and I'm not saying TT can't necessarily adapt, it's just I haven't seen him operate in anything that looks like this offense.

Maybe the offense should adapt to the players we have.

Would be the smart, logical thing to do.... so see ya Tyrod.

There's no reason to think Dennison would or wouldn't adapt one way or the other at this point. We'll know soon enough as far as QB goes. That said, we have other skill players that can excel in the offensive system described in that article.

After reading the piece about Dennison's offense and thinking about what TT has shown us in his two seasons as a starter, I see little in his game that lends itself well to that scheme. Certainly much of that can be attributed to what Roman preferred and I'm not saying TT can't necessarily adapt, it's just I haven't seen him operate in anything that looks like this offense.

Based on what McDermott said in his opening press conference, do you think Dennison will modify his offense to fit the players we have?

Based on what McDermott said in his opening press conference, do you think Dennison will modify his offense to fit the players we have?

Imo, the only player he needs to accommodate on that score is Taylor and perhaps his previous work with TT tells hm Taylor is capable of playing more from under center and can command his preferred scheme already. I really don't know yet. As I said previously, Roman's scheme was so dissimilar to what we see in that article about Dennison's offense and that may be the only reason we haven't seen TT display the necessary skill set to flourish in Dennison's system. I'm confident we have the other players in place on offense to do well in it already.

Sure. But it starts wit the QB.

There isn't anyone out there that is a better option then Tyrod.

No way to say that for sure and no justification for paying a guy $16M/year and not trying to get better at the position.

Imo, the only player he needs to accommodate on that score is Taylor and perhaps his previous work with TT tells hm Taylor is capable of playing more from under center and can command his preferred scheme already. I really don't know yet. As I said previously, Roman's scheme was so dissimilar to what we see in that article about Dennison's offense and that may be the only reason we haven't seen TT display the necessary skill set to flourish in Dennison's system. I'm confident we have the other players in place on offense to do well in it already.

I just hope the coaches find a way to continue the offense scoring ability and shore up our defense. If that is accomplished, I believe we have a real shot at the post season even with a more difficult schedule.