Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

As a pro-Bills guy I hope McDoomed succeeds... As a betting man, I think he's out of here in less than three years... This poor man has to re-build a coaching structure, offense, AND a defense! He's got to re-energize a culture, and locker-room steeped in 20 years of FAILURE! -Somewhere in between he's got to locate a franchise QB! -It's a daunting task for the most experienced showrunners in the NFL, -let alone a first time HC... Hopefully he shows some strategy, and good judgement early....Like Yoda said, THERE IS NO TRY. (in the NFL)

atlanta did it

atlanta did it

Quinn came from success in SEA, and knew what it took to build that tradition... Quinn also had a LEGIT franchise QB in place with Matt Ryan... McDone-for did an excellent job with that Panther's D, but Luke Kuechley ain't on our roster... FWIW I hope you guys are right... I wouldn't mind eating crow under those circumstances... Perhaps McDoomed IS the right man at the right time... (Probably not, though)

Quinn came from success in SEA, and knew what it took to build that tradition... Quinn also had a LEGIT franchise QB in place with Matt Ryan... McDone-for did an excellent job with that Panther's D, but Luke Kuechley ain't on our roster... FWIW I hope you guys are right... I wouldn't mind eating crow under those circumstances... Perhaps McDoomed IS the right man at the right time... (Probably not, though)

hmmmm

- So McD doesnt come from a winning tradition?

- Ryan is a valid point...you could also say he has been up and down...and frankly has had more avaiable offebsive weapons available

- Frankly I think Ragland is gonna be good and from a leadership standpoint.....they are diifrent skillset players...but that is what good coaching is for. we are strnger in areas that the falcons are not

im not delushional enough to believe we are going to the superbowl next year but i DO think we were good enough on O this year to make playoffs,,our D screwed it up....we gonna blow it up for that?

-

hmmmm

Not lately... Like I said, he did an excellent job... Put together a couple of good seasons in CAR..

im not delushional enough to believe we are going to the superbowl next year but i DO think we were good enough on O this year to make playoffs,,our D screwed it up....we gonna blow it up for that?

-

:thumbdown: *(sigh) "Good enough" NEVER IS, John... People thought Fitz was "good enough".... Then they said Rex was "good enough".... Now people think Tyrod is "good enough".... What's wrong with a little OVERKILL... I want Dan Quinns's offense... I want O-M-G production, and I think I deserve it... This team is exactly what "Good enough" looks like 17 years down the line.

Edited by #34fan

Not lately... Like I said, he did an excellent job... Put together a couple of good seasons in CAR..

his defense has been top 10 consistantly recently.....his team went to the SUPERBOWL in the last 2 years.....just how recent and recent consistant does it need to be?

:thumbdown: *(sigh) "Good enough" NEVER IS, John... People thought Fitz was "good enough".... Then they said Rex was "good enough".... Now people think Tyrod is "good enough".... What's wrong with a little OVERKILL... I want Dan Quinns's offense... I want O-M-G production, and I think I deserve it... This team is exactly what "Good enough" looks like 17 years down the line.

The team was SEVENTH in points scored and led the NFL in rushing.....just how good does it need to be?

i love high expectations but come on man

Bills add five to coaching staff

@ChrisBrownBills

#Bills announce 5 coach hirings - Phil McGeoghan, John Egorugwu, Marc Lubick, Matt Smiley & Bill Teerlinck. McGeoghan to coach WRs.

Teerlinck gotta' be the son of the old dirt bag DL coach John Teerlinck. He and Tony Dungy used to preach hitting QB's at the knees to try to knock them out of games........... and they were in charge of the Minnesota D when Jack Del Rio hit Jim Kelly in the knee and knocked him out for the year in 1994. The Bills were coming off a win at division leading Miami and had their destiny in their own hands for another division title. Without benefit of the overwhelming amount of talent that the Bills had had when Reich had played well in relief years earlier he was exposed for the noodle armed statue he was and lost the next 3 games effectively ending the Bills SB run. Side note: The parking lots were full of snow that morning and rather than plow them the geniuses in charge dumped salt on the snow and turned lot one into 3 inches of watery slush.

hmmmm

- Ryan is a valid point...you could also say he has been up and down...and frankly has had more avaiable offebsive weapons available

- Frankly I think Ragland is gonna be good and from a leadership standpoint.....they are diifrent skillset players...but that is what good coaching is for. we are strnger in areas that the falcons are not

-

I do think it's likely that the D will get better.

But I'm afraid the O will get worse. No knock against the new offensive coaching staff but I think there was a great chemistry between Roman's play designs, Lynn's play-calling, and the combined running skills of Shady, TT and MG.

When Lynn was calling plays and TT was under center, we averaged 27 points per game. I don't think the new coaching staff will match that.

Edited by hondo in seattle

But I'm afraid the O will get worse. No knock against the new offensive coaching staff but I think there was a great chemistry between Roman's play designs, Lynn's play-calling, and the combined running skills of Shady, TT and MG.

When Lynn was calling plays and TT was under center, we averaged 27 points per game. I don't think the new coaching staff will match that.

The running game should be fine. Shady has run well in multiple systems and he's the workhorse. Gilly will be fine as a change-of-pace RB. Maybe they don't lead the league in yards and YPC but they'll be up there. And hopefully the passing game will improve. The knock on Roman and Lynn was their lack of sophistication in that department.

How can the offense get any worse? Unless more players get injured...

I think it largely depends on what they do in free agency, the draft and whether or not the offense stays healthy all year.

Let's say they resign Bob Woods because of his ability to block down field in addition to his average #2 receiver skills.

Then suppose they draft one of the top 2 receivers coming out this year and sign a decent right tackle in free agency. And assuming they don't downgrade at QB, then things are really looking up. I would expect additional improvement.

I wouldn't expect the same yards per attempt while running as this year was stellar, but it would still be possible the Bills have huge production increases in the passing game while also maintaining their number 1 yards per attempt running the ball.

Of course it depends on how good these coaches really are too. I expect them to borrow heavily from this year's running game playbook.