Mike Pettine Anyone?

Wagon Circler

Assuming we are able to keep Lynn as O.C. and are covered on the offensive side, we need a head coach to fix the defense. We know that Pettine never really had a chance in Cleveland. He did good things here. Worth a shot?

He is Garbage, if you watched the Bills you would have seen he was a HORRIBLE DC.

Yeah it would. That was a great thread wasnt it lol

How is this guy still allowed to post, after being an admitted troll?

To the OP, I tend to think A Lynn would bring in someone not tied to Rex to fix this defense. But, who knows? Stranger things have happened.

I want a 4-3 coach as I think that is the system that this talent fits.

Yes, this is correct. Pettine was a high caliber guy, but his D had some of the same problems that Rex D does....as, it was basically the same D....a 3x4.....Schwartz came in and did a much better job with the same talent in the 4-3. So, this comment is dead on correct.

Some of you are nutso, he did an excellent job with that defense. There's a big difference taking over Wanny's EPICALLY bad defense like Pettine did, vs. taking over Pettine's good defense like Schwartz did

for the 3-4/4-3 phobics, Pettine is one of the more versatile defensive coaches around and will do just what he did here last time, build the D around the players we have. We were mostly a one-gap team when he was here which suited Dareus, KW and Hughes far better than did Rex' D.

Some of you are nutso, he did an excellent job with that defense. There's a big difference taking over Wanny's EPICALLY bad defense like Pettine did, vs. taking over Pettine's good defense like Schwartz did

for the 3-4/4-3 phobics, Pettine is one of the more versatile defensive coaches around and will do just what he did here last time, build the D around the players we have. We were mostly a one-gap team when he was here which suited Dareus, KW and Hughes far better than did Rex' D.

One of the worst run defenses in the league when he was here

Edited by nucci

Assuming we are able to keep Lynn as O.C. and are covered on the offensive side, we need a head coach to fix the defense. We know that Pettine never really had a chance in Cleveland. He did good things here. Worth a shot?

Erm we had the same issues with Pettine we had with Rex, good pass rush and half way decent passing defense but couldn't stop the run for anything.

One of the worst run defenses in the league when he was here

and when he was in Cleveland too. Actually no part of his D was any good with the Browns. And yes they had talent then. Haden regressed considerably under Pettine. His scheme was awful. Edited by YoloinOhio

Lynn is on the shortlist for a number of NFL HC jobs and won't be around.

I am completely on board with Lynn as HC and Pettine as DC. I believe Pettine would consider it and Wow what a great combo that could be.

Edited by dezertbill

How is this guy still allowed to post, after being an admitted troll?

To the OP, I tend to think A Lynn would bring in someone not tied to Rex to fix this defense. But, who knows? Stranger things have happened.

wait where is said admission?

Pettine as a DC only. Now that we've spent the last two years switching D personnel to a 3-4, I hate starting over again. The defense needs discipline more than anything else.

Lynn will be the HC somewhere if not in Buffalo.

And yet we are still closer to a 4-3 than a 3-4 buts thats ok

No he didnt.

Still couldnt stop the run

Couldnt get off field on third down

Rexs defense with some sacks awesome.

Lynn is on the shortlist for a number of NFL HC jobs and won't be around.

I am completely on board with Lynn as HC and Pettine as DC. I believe Pettine would consider it and Wow what a great combo that could be.

Sure hes on the shortlist for a number (2 to be exact if you count his current employer)

Absolutely not

We had the 29th D against the run this year, with multiple 200+ yd games given up.

We had the 28th D against the run in 2013 with Pettine as DC and also gave up 4 300+ yd passing games.

Against the run, Browns were 30th and 32 or something like that, under Pettine

Don't try to fix weaknesses by choosing a savior with those same weaknesses.

No. No defensive head coaches until we get a stud qb. Also, Pettine seems like a guy who is a coordinator at best. I'd rather keep Rex than hire him.

Our run defense was deplorable under Pettine

Great point John. We made a ton of big plays under him but we got gashed a lot. Just like this year. That Rex model defense just mind not be good enough anymore.