EJ time! Starting vs Jets

KDIGGZ

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley and the Bills definitely want to lose and position better position themselves in the draft.

They should bench Shady too then. And Mike G. And Sammy.

They probably don't mind losing so much, But they aren't trying very hard unless they bench those guys.

Bills will kill the Jets on the ground.

Does this mean Rex got fired because he was going to play Tyrod rather than someone else?!?

Did Rex negotiate that provision in that contract?

No, his outdated, historically bad defense got him fired. That and they can say, we fired a coach with a losing record....Vice a coach with a non-losing record.

Edited by KellyToTasker

47 total TD's

12 INT's

Top 10 scoring offense both seasons

Pro Bowl alternate both seasons

Leading rusher amongst NFL QB's both seasons

Least turnovers in a season in NFL history (2016)

Literally played in games with Walt Powell, Justin Hunter and Brandon Tate as his primary targets

15-14 record with garbage defense and joke of a head coach

Keep on preaching brotha.

Fire Whaley my man.

What this does:

- Protects the Bills options regarding Tyrod

- Lets the Bills/Lynn/Whaley have one last look at EJ (will help decide his future here as well)

- Let EJ have an opportunity to 'try out' one last time before hitting the FA market

- Protects Cardale from being thrown into the fire when he isn't ready, and will possibly be learning a new offense next year anyways

All in all, a safe move. I don't see how anyone can be upset about this.

Well reasoned. The people upset were biased in a particular way, and it's very easy to spin the moves toward one's bias.

Un-effing-believable. Tyrod Taylor, whatever his flaws, has had an objectively solid season and has played well lately. Manuel's contract is up and he is not as good as Taylor. Some here are no doubt looking forward to celebrating drafting 13th instead of 17th -- as if that will change things.

I may be wrong, but if TT gets hurt we owe him the whole contract(at least next year?) and lose the ability to renegotiate a newer team friendly contract. If he is willing to negotiate a new deal.

One more thing:

Who cares? The game doesn't mean a damn thing, except draft position. I think I can find something better to do for those 3-4 hrs. this Sunday.

Edited by Dopey

47 total TD's

12 INT's

Top 10 scoring offense both seasons

Pro Bowl alternate both seasons

Leading rusher amongst NFL QB's both seasons

Least turnovers in a season in NFL history (2016)

Literally played in games with Walt Powell, Justin Hunter and Brandon Tate as his primary targets

15-14 record with garbage defense and joke of a head coach

Keep on preaching brotha.

You're neglecting to mention that he has only one lost fumble in two seasons. He has seven total, but at least a couple of those were harmless ones when he was going out of bounds. For a starting QB over 2 seasons, one lost fumble is incredible.

47 TDs, 13 turnovers.

I may be wrong, but if TT gets hurt we owe him the whole contract(at least next year?) and lose the ability to renegotiate a newer team friendly contract. If he is willing to negotiate a new deal.

Why would he renegotiate? He's a lot better than what a lot of teams trot out at the position. Put him on Houston or Denver and they're an 11+ win team given that division.

Edited by dave mcbride

This game is going to be like the Pro Bowl. There will be little effort by either defense and both teams will run up and down the field.

Why bother? Both teams have waived their respective white flags and the Jets quit playing three games ago.

Not really. An interim HC is also being show-cased, and he won't let them lay an egg.

EJ gives em a better chance to lose. Cardale could !@#$ around and hit on some big plays causing them to lose draft position.

^exactly^. The team can't admit this obviously. But there is NOTHING to gain by winning this final game. For once they are doing the right thing and are tanking a game to gain a better draft pick.

You're neglecting to mention that he has only one lost fumble in two seasons. He has seven total, but at least a couple of those were harmless ones when he was going out of bounds. For a starting QB over 2 seasons, one lost fumble is incredible.

47 TDs, 13 turnovers.

Ehh. Who cares about points and touchdowns to turnover ratio. I'd rather have a more traditional guy who throws for more yards even if it means we turn the ball over more, rush for way less yards and score less points. You guys don't get it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I'm not reading every reply

This is fine for Taylor. I hope we keep him and EJ.

EJ is a ree agent. We can still sign him back. Let's see what he can do with a season of understudy let's see if he can muster up anything we want to keep. He can be our backup.

Thinking Jones is the answer is hilarious. These folks, you folks, though Kolb, Thad Lewis, Tuel, and dude who went to the Cowboys were the answer too. Jones may one day be good enough to play in the NFl. But wont be next year.

Ehh. Who cares about points and touchdowns to turnover ratio. I'd rather have a more traditional guy who throws for more yards even if it means we turn the ball over more, rush for way less yards and score less points. You guys don't get it.

How many times did we see this offense fail to move the ball.

Taylor showed flashes.

But he was also downright awful for extended stretches.

Too much unknown to pick up essentially a 3 year option for a guy who might not get better and cant delivery in crunch time.

Edited by CountDorkula

Beware browns and 49ers. We will kill you guys!

Bye bye Taylor.

How many times did we see this offense fail to move the ball.

Taylor showed flashes.

But he was also downright awful for extended stretches.

Too much unknown to pick up essentially a 3 year option for a guy who might not get better and cant delivery in crunch time.

A lot of teams not named the Patriots fail to move the ball on occasion. Look at Bobonators post for the facts.

They probably want to preserve Tyrod's health and contract as an option/decision for the next coach - which IMO would not be unreasonable. Will help attract candidates for the job (i.e., if Tyrod got hurt, coach candidates might be nervous about taking the job).

Edited by Coach Tuesday

A lot of teams not named the Patriots fail to move the ball on occasion. Look at Bobonators post for the facts.

Keyword.

This team failed to do it a lot.

When the offense needed to step up, it floundered and sank. When the defense needed a rest the offense went 3 and out over and over and over again. Taylor leads that offense, most of the blame falls on him.

This team had the best rushing attack in the NFL, there is no excuse for a passing attack that was terribly bad other than the QB just wasn't good enough..

Keyword.

This team failed to do it a lot.

When the offense needed to step up, it floundered and sank. When the defense needed a rest the offense went 3 and out over and over and over again. Taylor leads that offense, most of the blame falls on him.

This team had the best rushing attack in the NFL, there is no excuse for a passing attack that was terribly bad other than the QB just wasn't good enough..

Again, look at Bobonators' post for the facts.

They probably want to preserve Tyrod's health and contract as an option/decision for the next coach - which IMO would not be unreasonable.

100% agree. This is actually one of the smartest things the Bills have done all season. There is absolutely NOTHING the Jets game will "prove" with respect to Tyrod. The jets are Rich Kotite bad. They are absolutely brutal. There is nothing to gain from this game, and much to lose. If the new HC doesn't like TT than why risk him getting injured. If the new HC wants TT, we have plenty of time to pick up the option. Win/Win.

Again, look at Bobonators' post for the facts.

I saw that post.

The Bills set a franchise record with Rushing TD's from McCoy and TD mike this year.

The Bills had the top rushing offense in the NFL by a wide margin.

Find me a game where Taylor lead a 4Q comeback. You cant.

Taylors wins (The Bills wins) came against teams with piss poor records.

All of those fancy stats dont mean anything if you cant win games against teams with winning records.

Say what you will about the Bills d. they were atrocious. Taylor had multiple opportunities to win the game late in the 4Q and just couldn't get it done.

I can't believe those who think this is an effort to "tank". Isn't McCoy our offense anyway? This is Whaley wanting to be right about EJ. Now that Rex is gone he can start EJ. Shouldn't Lynn be making this decision? What a joke of an organization.

No, it's not. It is about giving yourself a real decision timeline in regards to Taylor and not being forced to keep him because of injury.

They probably want to preserve Tyrod's health and contract as an option/decision for the next coach - which IMO would not be unreasonable. Will help attract candidates for the job (i.e., if Tyrod got hurt, coach candidates might be nervous about taking the job).

I'd think it shows the next coaching staff that the front office doesn't think TT is the guy. You're not going to see any other starting QB's benched on teams that are out of the playoff race for the final week. Unless they aren't the solidified starter. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I saw that post.

The Bills set a franchise record with Rushing TD's from McCoy and TD mike this year.

The Bills had the top rushing offense in the NFL by a wide margin.

Find me a game where Taylor lead a 4Q comeback. You cant.

Taylors wins (The Bills wins) came against teams with piss poor records.

All of those fancy stats dont mean anything if you cant win games against teams with winning records.

Say what you will about the Bills d. they were atrocious. Taylor had multiple opportunities to win the game late in the 4Q and just couldn't get it done.

So we don't count the Miami game, where he did in fact lead a 4 Q comeback with a minute to go and led the team for makeable FG in OT only to see it missed? And please don't say he didn't get the "win" -- arguing that way makes one look like a sophist, pure and simple. I do agree that he hasn't done it enough.

... which is effing stupid. But par for the course for this team and this GM.

There is a huge difference between allowing yourself to make an offseason decision on a player and putting yourself in a position to be forced into a 10+M cap hit on an injured player. This is a pragmatic decision even if it is a bit hard to swallow for TT.

I could understand him being upset and the Bills owe him an explanation, but there are certainly viable explanations to be given. First and foremost there will be a new coach soon. That coach could be someone who is in love with TT and demand we keep him or someone who loathes him and makes cutting him a condition of the job, or anywhere in between. If TT were to go out and get hurt, it would limit the team. That is just a fact. It is not TT's fault, but it is a fact.

Personally I like TT a lot although I see his shortcomings. I have mixed feelings on whether I think he can overcome them. I'd like to see him back but will also understand if he is not. If we were forced to bring him back and he somehow got hurt, that would limit us in too many other places.

This weekend's game is a preseason game. The Bills owe TT a solid explanation about the situation and I hope they give him one. I don't think they owe him the start.

There is a huge difference between allowing yourself to make an offseason decision on a player and putting yourself in a position to be forced into a 10+M cap hit on an injured player. This is a pragmatic decision even if it is a bit hard to swallow for TT.

I could understand him being upset and the Bills owe him an explanation, but there are certainly viable explanations to be given. First and foremost there will be a new coach soon. That coach could be someone who is in love with TT and demand we keep him or someone who loathes him and makes cutting him a condition of the job, or anywhere in between. If TT were to go out and get hurt, it would limit the team. That is just a fact. It is not TT's fault, but it is a fact.

Personally I like TT a lot although I see his shortcomings. I have mixed feelings on whether I think he can overcome them. I'd like to see him back but will also understand if he is not. If we were forced to bring him back and he somehow got hurt, that would limit us in too many other places.

This weekend's game is a preseason game. The Bills owe TT a solid explanation about the situation and I hope they give him one. I don't think they owe him the start.

This is a well reasoned post buy my gut feeling is that since Whaley is going to control the shots, we're not going to end up with a coach that wants Tyrod Taylor. I could be wrong, but honestly, I don't have a ton of faith in our GM.

This is a well reasoned post buy my gut feeling is that since Whaley is going to control the shots, we're not going to end up with a coach that wants Tyrod Taylor. I could be wrong, but honestly, I don't have a ton of faith in our GM.

I agree. Everyone should know that TT was a Rex guy. Whaley still has an EJ fetish due to his own ego. It's not that complicated. If Whaley thinks he's going into next year with a new coach and EJ at the controls, he will be gone very soon.

I don't look at this as Whaley completely throwing in the towel on Tyrod.

I believe they still have interest in keeping Tyrod, just not at the huge number they would be stuck with if he gets hurt.

Sitting him gives Whaley options to bring back Tyrod at a friendlier price without forcing his hand.

It's smart.

As for the EJ talk. If Whaley uses this one game to justify signing EJ to a future deal then Whaley is just blind and he should be shown the door as well. With that being said I believe EJs start is more about Cardale not being ready than EJ being looked at as a future option. The ship has sailed on Manuel. I can't see how the Bills could look it any different.

Edited by dezertbill