EJ time! Starting vs Jets

KDIGGZ

Whaley fights tooth and nail for EJ. He makes decisions like he's his child.

You are being a bit irrational here.

I don't think that anyone considers Manuel a likely option as a starter next year. The risk of HAVING to pick up the $30M contract for Taylor if he gets hurt is too great. I think it is very rational to sit him this week and get the next coach's input on whether he wants Taylor here before DECIDING whether to pay Taylor that kind of money.

If Taylor played and was hurt, the Bills would be stuck with him regardless of whether the new coach wanted him or not. Then, folks here would blame Whaley for "saddling the new coach with a QB he doesn't want".

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Un-effing-believable. Tyrod Taylor, whatever his flaws, has had an objectively solid season and has played well lately. Manuel's contract is up and he is not as good as Taylor. Some here are no doubt looking forward to celebrating drafting 13th instead of 17th -- as if that will change things.

It's because of the injury clause in his contract not to tank the game for a little higher draft pick.. Meaningless game not worth the risk even a little bit.. It's the smart decision.

I don't look at this as Whaley completely throwing in the towel on Tyrod.

I believe they still have interest in keeping Tyrod, just not at the huge number they would be stuck with if he gets hurt.

Sitting him gives Whaley options to bring back Tyrod at a friendlier price without forcing his hand.

It's smart.

As for the EJ talk. If Whaley uses this one game to justify signing EJ to a future deal then Whaley is just blind and he should be shown the door as well.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell that Taylor renegotiates with Buffalo. He could start for a bunch of NFL teams.

It's because of the injury clause in his contract not to tank the game for a little higher draft pick.. Meaningless game not worth the risk even a little bit.. It's the smart decision.

I hear ya, but as I said elsewhere in the thread, the signaling is the issue with me. That is, it signals unwarranted faith in Manuel and a lack of commitment to Taylor. I don't foresee Taylor being on the Bills come March 4, but I'll freely admit I could be wrong.

I'd think it shows the next coaching staff that the front office doesn't think TT is the guy. You're not going to see any other starting QB's benched on teams that are out of the playoff race for the final week. Unless they aren't the solidified starter.

I'd venture only a handful have large bonuses guaranteed for injury coming up real soon either though which is the real discussion point

This is a well reasoned post buy my gut feeling is that since Whaley is going to control the shots, we're not going to end up with a coach that wants Tyrod Taylor. I could be wrong, but honestly, I don't have a ton of faith in our GM.

That is something that only time will tell.

Personally I like TT but I get the arguments of the people who don't. The two years with Rex, to me, buy Whaley some slack. I think this is especially true given how badly Whaley's hand was forced in this draft. Rex trashed our defense and look at what we picked up in rounds 1-3.....a DE from Rex's son's frat house that hopefully will not be Eric Flowers part deux, an LB that is not a fit in any NFL defense except Rex's unworkable one and a marginal backup DL whose college coach snickered when he was picked.

I think this should buy TT some grace period in that he didn't get any receiver or line help but it should buy Whaley some slack too. The Whaley/TT relationship makes for interesting speculation but it seems like all speculation to me. But there will be another personality in the mix too, and that will be the new coach.

That is something that only time will tell.

Personally I like TT but I get the arguments of the people who don't. The two years with Rex, to me, buy Whaley some slack. I think this is especially true given how badly Whaley's hand was forced in this draft. Rex trashed our defense and look at what we picked up in rounds 1-3.....a DE from Rex's son's frat house that hopefully will not be Eric Flowers part deux, an LB that is not a fit in any NFL defense except Rex's unworkable one and a marginal backup DL whose college coach snickered when he was picked.

I think this should buy TT some grace period in that he didn't get any receiver or line help but it should buy Whaley some slack too. The Whaley/TT relationship makes for interesting speculation but it seems like all speculation to me. But there will be another personality in the mix too, and that will be the new coach.

I get the arguments too - he's not great. But he's at least decent. I don't see anyone else out there who will be as good as him next season.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell that Taylor renegotiates with Buffalo. He could start for a bunch of NFL teams.

There is no negotiating necessary. If the Bills want him, they can keep him. There is only a need for negotiation if they want him at a reduced price.

I get the arguments too - he's not great. But he's at least decent. I don't see anyone else out there who will be as good as him next season.

I pretty much agree and would be sick to my stomach if we took his money and gave it to say Romo. I think that would be dumb.

It is also entirely possible that the Bills are 100% committed to Tyrod.

But, they know they have to get a coach. And that new coach that they decide they want, might not want Tyrod.

So it stands to reason that they absolutely have to keep all options open so that the new coach will want to sign with Buffalo instead of getting stuck with a QB he might not want.

If the Bills got locked into Tyrod for the next 3 years, then their coaching options would be limited to coaches who want that situation.

Makes total sense that they bench him. Can't risk injury when which triggers payday when the playoff race is over.

When Whaley gets asked about it, that is what he is going to say because it is the truth.

Gotta keep options open for new coach until that coach is under contract.

Edited by PolishDave

I hear ya, but as I said elsewhere in the thread, the signaling is the issue with me. That is, it signals unwarranted faith in Manuel and a lack of commitment to Taylor. I don't foresee Taylor being on the Bills come March 4, but I'll freely admit I could be wrong.

I disagree bud. I believe it will be up to the new head coach whether Taylor is a fit for his team. I'd so it becomes a value issue, and no one is going to sign Taylor for the amount he was due if he remained with the team. So no reason pigeonholing yourself into a huge deal.

Taylor's agent is a business man. If the Bills offer Taylor a better deal than any other team he'll be coming back.

The best chance of this happening is with Lynn being named HC. Lynn knows Tyrod and his benching is whaleys call and not the HC. Lynn might still have confidence in Taylor and believes he can still get the best out of him.

It becomes less likely with a new HC who may have their own idea of who their starting QB would be.

i would be fine keeping the guy if the new coach wants him but can you imagine the disaster it would be if TT blows out his knee and we are 100% tied to him with a starting level contract while looking for a new coach to install a new offense that his anointed by no choice of his own starting qb couldnt get on the field to learn.

I don't think Red's firing and TT's sitting out the Jet's game has any impact on TT's future with the team.

I don't either. They don't need to make a decision on him for months from now. A lot can happen in that time. If he gets hurt, they lose any ability to have the option. It's a business decision. They could very well exercise the option and I think a lot will ride on the HC. Edited by YoloinOhio

i would be fine keeping the guy if the new coach wants him but can you imagine the disaster it would be if TT blows out his knee and we are 100% tied to him with a starting level contract while looking for a new coach to install a new offense that his anointed by no choice of his own starting qb couldnt get on the field to learn.

100% agree.

/thread

this !

What in the hell is the point of starting EJ everyone knows he's not the answer. this team pisses me off so much. Give Cardale a shot

Probably because Cardale is nowhere near starter ready. If he plays at all it will probably be 2nd half or if EJ throws 4 picks early.

Keyword.

This team failed to do it a lot.

When the offense needed to step up, it floundered and sank. When the defense needed a rest the offense went 3 and out over and over and over again. Taylor leads that offense, most of the blame falls on him.

This team had the best rushing attack in the NFL, there is no excuse for a passing attack that was terribly bad other than the QB just wasn't good enough..

I don't hate the idea of Taylor being the Bills' starter next year, but I don't love it either.

I don't think that the Bills rushing offense would have been as good without the running threat that Taylor provides on every play. Defenses have to account for Taylor running on any given play making it easier for McCoy and Gillislee to find openings. Taylor deserves credit for that.

It could be argued that, in addition to his passing yards per game, you should consider Taylor's rushing yards and additional yards that RBs get because of Taylor's running threat. In that light, Taylor is competent.

It can also be argued that Taylor's passing game was severely limited for most of the season without Watkins, Woods and Clay not playing well till year end.

On the other hand, it is hard to look at Taylor and think that he is a good NFL passer.

Big decision with the money due for next 3 years.

the point is we don't need to see EJ, this team is so retarded it is amazing. This move just reaffirms the dysfunction overall and makes me concerned as to who the next HC will be.

I think this just means that Cardale hasn't shown them in practice that he is remotely ready to play a NFL game. We all want to see the shiny new hope at QB, but if he isn't ready, playing him could damage any chance that he might ever develop.

Yes please. That should work out well.

edGyr6tbMGKvS.gif

because EJ is so much better. Who cares if we win next week isn't about that, we should see how the new kid is doing EJ is garbage and is a complete waste of time. Watch he will have a big game and half of every one will be like see we just needed to give him more time and then next yr he sux like normal.

the point is we don't need to see EJ, this team is so retarded it is amazing. This move just reaffirms the dysfunction overall and makes me concerned as to who the next HC will be.

So the team is "retarded" for not risking TT's injury clause kicking in and paying over 27 million (I believe) to have him play in a meaningless game against the Jets? Playing TT this Sunday and risking that would lead you to believe the team is less dysfunctional?

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think this just means that Cardale hasn't shown them in practice that he is remotely ready to play a NFL game. We all want to see the shiny new hope at QB, but if he isn't ready, playing him could damage any chance that he might ever develop.

Who cares if Cardale is ready? We know what EJ is. This idea that you can damage a QBs ego doesn't make sense. If they are that fragile they will never be good anyway.

Probably because Cardale is nowhere near starter ready. If he plays at all it will probably be 2nd half or if EJ throws 4 picks early.

Shows that Whaley has no idea of what a QB is. Why pick a guy who so far removed from being a NFL QB in the hopes that just maybe he can use his talent.

So the team is "retarded" for not risking TT's injury clause kicking in and paying over 27 million (I believe) to have him play in a meaningless game against the Jets? Playing TT this Sunday and risking that would lead you to believe the team is less dysfunctional?

read it again, no mention of TT there.

Maybe, but who is our QB next season if it isn't TT? That's what you have to ask yourself.

Can't understand all the angst about Taylor not playing. The team is smart for keeping its options open. It would be incredibly stupid to play Taylor in this utterly meaningless game. It isn't a tryout for EJ, it's a smart business move. I'm quite sure the fact that Rex was insistent on starting Taylor showed he knew he was getting fired and was that clown's way of saying FU. All the more reason to be glad that tub of shyt is gone.

Whaley - fail. Can't wait to see who this moron picks as HC.

47 total TD's

12 INT's

Top 10 scoring offense both seasons

Pro Bowl alternate both seasons

Leading rusher amongst NFL QB's both seasons

Least turnovers in a season in NFL history (2016)

Literally played in games with Walt Powell, Justin Hunter and Brandon Tate as his primary targets

15-14 record with garbage defense and joke of a head coach

Keep on preaching brotha.

Holy awesome. Enjoy being a fan of his new team

Shows that Whaley has no idea of what a QB is. Why pick a guy who so far removed from being a NFL QB in the hopes that just maybe he can use his talent.

You are probably right. If Cardale never makes it even as far as #2 (not counting this weekend of course) then I think it is a fair question. Wasted time.

If Cardale ends up being a starter eventually or even a decent backup, well then I suppose it was worth it, as long as he is with the Bills when that happens.

My guess is that if he hasn't progressed much this year, then next year before the season starts, they will probably kick Cardale to the curb.

Can't understand all the angst about Taylor not playing. The team is smart for keeping its options open. It would be incredibly stupid to play Taylor in this utterly meaningless game. It isn't a tryout for EJ, it's a smart business move. I'm quite sure the fact that Rex was insistent on starting Taylor showed he knew he was getting fired and was that clown's way of saying FU. All the more reason to be glad that tub of shyt is gone.

How was giving himself what he thought was the best chance to win an FU? We all know what EJ is. Why bench the guy who gives you what think is a better chance to win? This means Whaley doesn't want to bring TT back next season. Hence not risking an injury to him. It worries me because who the h*** do we plan on playing QB in week one of 2017? No matter who we might pick up in the draft, TT would give us the best chance to win early next season.

Maybe, but who is our QB next season if it isn't TT? That's what you have to ask yourself.

They know what TT is. Playing this game against the Jets tells them nothing extra. They also know what EJ is. This is nothing more than running out the season and not risking TT, either for next season and/or the injury clause in his contract. Cardale might see some action, who knows. But I'd guess he is nowhere near ready to play. This is just the safest way to finish the season, IMO.

They know what TT is. Playing this game against the Jets tells them nothing extra. They also know what EJ is. This is nothing more than running out the season and not risking TT, either for next season and/or the injury clause in his contract. Cardale might see some action, who knows. But I'd guess he is nowhere near ready to play. This is just the safest way to finish the season, IMO.

Right, but my point is this means TT is gone. Who does Whaley plan on finding who'd be an upgrade? Kicking TT to the curb doesn't make sense. My worry is that Whaley plans on going into the season with Manuel while drafting a rookie. That's what the writing on the wall looks like imo.

Right, but my point is this means TT is gone. Who does Whaley plan on finding who'd be an upgrade? Kicking TT to the curb doesn't make sense. My worry is that Whaley plans on going into the season with Manuel while drafting a rookie. That's what the writing on the wall looks like imo.

I don't read that this means TT is gone for sure. I read it as they are getting a new HC and possibly a new OC, and they will decide on a QB along with Whaley. If it is decided that TT is gone why risk the injury clause. And if TT stays why risk a Derek Carr happening to him in a meaningless game. Makes no sense to me to play him or even dress him. I suspect part of the reason Rex got fired now is that he was going to play TT simply to get him to .500 for the season so his record looked better.

Who cares if Cardale is ready? We know what EJ is. This idea that you can damage a QBs ego doesn't make sense. If they are that fragile they will never be good anyway.

Are you being serious? One disastrous game when Jones isn't prepared to play and reporters and many fans will have him labeled as "bust - time to move on". It isn't just the QBs own ego, but also overcoming fan/media perceptions can be very hard indeed.

What this does:

- Protects the Bills options regarding Tyrod

- Lets the Bills/Lynn/Whaley have one last look at EJ (will help decide his future here as well)

- Let EJ have an opportunity to 'try out' one last time before hitting the FA market

- Protects Cardale from being thrown into the fire when he isn't ready, and will possibly be learning a new offense next year anyways

All in all, a safe move. I don't see how anyone can be upset about this.

Amen! Preach! Right now, we don't know our HC or OC for next year. It is a meaningless game Sunday. This prevents Tyrod's guarantee kicking in. We have seen enough, good and bad to know his relative strengths and weaknesses.

He is good enough to win with help. He is not enough to carry the team consistently. This is a sensible conservative move.

Are you being serious? One disastrous game when Jones isn't prepared to play and reporters and many fans will have him labeled as "bust - time to move on". It isn't just the QBs own ego, but also overcoming fan/media perceptions can be very hard indeed.

Once again, if they fold under fan/media pressure they will never be good anyway. Just my opinion. I understand your point. I just don't see it that way.