EJ time! Starting vs Jets

KDIGGZ

Right, but my point is this means TT is gone. Who does Whaley plan on finding who'd be an upgrade? Kicking TT to the curb doesn't make sense. My worry is that Whaley plans on going into the season with Manuel while drafting a rookie. That's what the writing on the wall looks like imo.

That means they would have to move up in the draft to get one of the top 3 guys coming out. And whoever that is would be expected to start.

Because otherwise it would be obvious that they downgraded at QB from Tyrod Taylor. And downgrading from Tyrod Taylor to anyone other than a big name rookie with huge promise would be unacceptable and inexcusable. The QB position is too important to willingly downgrade without having a good enough excuse.

TT contract is not a good enough excuse. TT is too cheap to not sign him, unless the new head coach hates him for some reason which is possible.

Watch EJ light it up. lol

He better light it up.

Jets are a hot mess.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What this does:

- Protects the Bills options regarding Tyrod

- Lets the Bills/Lynn/Whaley have one last look at EJ (will help decide his future here as well)

- Let EJ have an opportunity to 'try out' one last time before hitting the FA market

- Protects Cardale from being thrown into the fire when he isn't ready, and will possibly be learning a new offense next year anyways

All in all, a safe move. I don't see how anyone can be upset about this.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the ones that are upset only care week to week about winning that particular game. They don't think about, and/or don't care about anything BUT winning the next game. Winning the Jets game is the only thing that matters right now, In that context you start TT no question.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Are you being serious? One disastrous game when Jones isn't prepared to play and reporters and many fans will have him labeled as "bust - time to move on". It isn't just the QBs own ego, but also overcoming fan/media perceptions can be very hard indeed.

Flame away all you like, but in selection of elite athletes in all sorts of sports, a lot of places consider "no credit being better than bad credit". This is exactly right.

You either go the Caughlin/Manning route, and have a staunch supporter in your corner while you complete less than 50% of your passes for 2 years. Or you sit until you are close to ready. He isn't close to ready.

Let me get this straight... you think EJ is terrible, but you also expect him to "light it up"? Can you explain that one, I'm not sure I follow...

I don't think EJ is good enough to be a starter in the NFL. I do think he is good enough to light it up against this Jets team as the Jets are right now - a team that has given up.

If this was the regular season Jets who were still in contention of playoffs, then I would expect EJ to have a harder time. But as they are right now, they are as bad as it gets in the NFL - on par with the Browns. Yes he better light it up.

Not that it matters one way or the other.

If that is true, then it appears they have no interest in keeping Tyrod around next year.

Or maybe they do have interest in keeping Tyrod and just want to see if EJ has learned anything. They're probably gonna have to cut bait with at least one of them.

Woods was a 2nd round pick and there was no 5th year option.

For some reason I thought it was 1st and 2nd rounders, that makes sense thanks!

I don't think EJ is good enough to be a starter in the NFL. I do think he is good enough to light it up against this Jets team as the Jets are right now - a team that has given up.

If this was the regular season Jets who were still in contention of playoffs, then I would expect EJ to have a harder time. But as they are right now, they are as bad as it gets in the NFL - on par with the Browns. Yes he better light it up.

Not that it matters one way or the other.

All this nonsense and drivel adds up to a classic damned if you do, damned if you don't. You're basically saying that EJ is garbage, but you won't care if he does well in an NFL game.

I'm sure you weren't one of the ones jumping to conclusions after Tyrod beat up the Browns at home though, right? No way there's a double standard there, is there?

He signed TT with Rex's push and fired Rex when he wouldn't start EJ. Wouldn't sign Kyle Orton when Marrone wanted him be uses EJ sucked. Brought in dead man Kolb and Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis to "compete" with EJ. The pattern is clear. He paves the way for his guy. Can him.

if he didn't sign Orton, how did Orton end up playing for the Bills?

I don't understand the hate for this move. Makes no sense. We fired our coach. we have a guy that needed a ton of work before he would be ready. We're out of the playoffs. See if ej made any strides. We've seen what trod is and we have him under contract for a while if we want. See if EJ progressed.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

For some reason I thought it was 1st and 2nd rounders, that makes sense thanks!

All this nonsense and drivel adds up to a classic damned if you do, damned if you don't. You're basically saying that EJ is garbage, but you won't care if he does well in an NFL game.

I'm sure you weren't one of the ones jumping to conclusions after Tyrod beat up the Browns at home though, right? No way there's a double standard there, is there?

You are the type of person who loves to put words in other people's mouths. Just like your buddy Bobby does. Because you can't stand it when someone you are discussing football is level headed and being sensible.

You are hung up on drama. Go get it somewhere else.

I said what I think. EJ isn't good enough to be a starter in the NFL in my opinion. I don't care if you like my opinion or not. And you are certainly welcome to your own. I didn't say he was "basically garbage" you did.

Whether he does well in THIS game is immaterial to me because I don't think he will be Bill next year and I would rather see the Bills lose this game (which is really rare for me). But it is an away game with nothing on the line anymore besides draft picks. So it is in the Bills best interest to lose. If it was a home game I would want the Bills to win anyway because I would have already paid for the seats and I would be at the game. In that case, I would hope he puts up big numbers.

But like I said - it really doesn't matter either way. The only thing on the line is draft picks. So a loss here and whatever performance by EJ= fine by me.

If you look on the other sideline, the Jets are doing the same thing ...and they took Sackenberg in the 2nd round so you would expect him to be a little more ready to go. Not even letting him see the field and instead playing the guy they know is going to be gone next year and has been nothing but a disappointment all season.

No it's not or all the other starters would be benched. Strictly about Tyrod and the contract.

Agreed. Also wouldn't be surprised if 5% of it is also, "alright EJ, go look good vs a putrid team and maybe you can get a better paycheck next season elsewhere"

EJ is a good guy. I hope he lights up the Jests.

If you look on the other sideline, the Jets are doing the same thing ...and they took Sackenberg in the 2nd round so you would expect him to be a little more ready to go. Not even letting him see the field and instead playing the guy they know is going to be gone next year and has been nothing but a disappointment all season.

Yeah, what's up with that? I wasn't a fan of Hackenberg in his final year at PSU, but him not playing in this game makes zero sense. I really don't understand it. There is no reason to play Fitz.

I understand your comment but with EJ contract expiring this off-season I don't think anyone would trade, they would wait till the contract runs out and take him in FA.

Maybe EJ lights it up and somebody trades us a first for it....Like we did for Rob Johnson after he played great in a meaningless game

If that is true, then it appears they have no interest in keeping Tyrod around next year.

This was my 1st thought. A shame though, I think TT with an altered contract would be good stop gap for this team but, this is a sign of Pegs cleaning house kicking out Rex and telling him to take Tyrod with him. Tyrod will start for another team next year, ill bet anyone.

wow that makes no sense - because it was on xmas Eve? It was the biggest game of the year. So close to playoff contention.

Not only that - it ended up being the most exciting game of the year - people should have been turning the game on to see how it would end. Oh wait.....everyone knew how it would end. Nevermind.

Not sure that's clear. They may want to try to reno. Or they may just want to keep their options open. If they play him and he's injured, the options are gone.

I understand your comment but with EJ contract expiring this off-season I don't think anyone would trade, they would wait till the contract runs out and take him in FA.

Correct. We would have to sign him or franchise him in order to trade him. What would that take, $17M?

wow that makes no sense - because it was on xmas Eve? It was the biggest game of the year. So close to playoff contention.

Yeah maybe, not sure. Maybe the average Bills fans just had enough for one season. Funny (sad, not ha ha) is even as unlikely as the Bills making the playoffs was, they would still be alive now had they taken care of their own business.

Agreed. Also wouldn't be surprised if 5% of it is also, "alright EJ, go look good vs a putrid team and maybe you can get a better paycheck next season elsewhere"

EJ is a good guy. I hope he lights up the Jests.

Yes, I think both EJ and Tyrod are great people just not good QBs. I wish it was different and they were good but it is what it is.

That means they would have to move up in the draft to get one of the top 3 guys coming out. And whoever that is would be expected to start.

Because otherwise it would be obvious that they downgraded at QB from Tyrod Taylor. And downgrading from Tyrod Taylor to anyone other than a big name rookie with huge promise would be unacceptable and inexcusable. The QB position is too important to willingly downgrade without having a good enough excuse.

TT contract is not a good enough excuse. TT is too cheap to not sign him, unless the new head coach hates him for some reason which is possible.

He better light it up.

Jets are a hot mess.

Good response. I agree that TT is too cheap not to resign. My issue is that the team sitting him indicates that they don't want to risk injury due to the contract clause. This tells me that they don't plan on resigning him. My issue is that there are no upgrades in sight imo. I do not view this years rookie QBs class as having any guys that you would immediately ditch TT for. This is just my personal perspective on this years class. Letting TT walk to start the season with Watson or Kizer doesn't make me feel comfortable. It's also highly unlikely they could even get those guys. This is why I hate this move that seems to indicate TT is gone. I also don't know if a new coach would "hate" him, but I wonder if Whaley does. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Not sure that's clear. They may want to try to reno. Or they may just want to keep their options open. If they play him and he's injured, the options are gone.

Correct. We would have to sign him or franchise him in order to trade him. What would that take, $17M?

Might as well re-sign Tyrod if that's the plan. Damn I cant believe they wont re-sign him. That's crazy.

Good response. I agree that TT is too cheap not to resign. My issue is that the team sitting him indicates that they don't want to risk injury due to the contract clause. This tells me that they don't plan on resigning him. My issue is that there are no upgrades in sight imo. I do not view this years rookie QBs class as having any guys that you would immediately ditch TT for. This is just my personal perspective on this years class. Letting TT walk to start the season with Watson or Kizer doesn't make me feel comfortable. It's also highly unlikely they could even get those guys. This is why I hate this move that seems to indicate TT is gone. I also don't know if a new coach would "hate" him, but I wonder if Whaley does.

I bet the Bills are 100% sold on Tyrod already and they intend to pick up the option - and smile and celebrate while doing so. I happen to think if TT hits the market, he will make a lot more money than Buffalo is going to pay him. But that is just my opinion.

The most logical reasons to "not play him" this week are:

1) If he does get injured they are married to him because of cost - by being married to him for a few years it may limit which coaches would be willing to come to Buffalo - this is the overwhelming reason why they can't play him

2) they probably don't mind losing the game - better off playing a backup and hoping he is rusty

My bet is that they will get a coach to come in and sign. That coach will realize upon agreeing to the job here that Tyrod is his best option to build a playoff team right away. And he will agree to Whaley picking up the option on TT.

It all depends on who they decide on and/or can convince to become head coach here.

Chances for getting Tyrod back are very good in my opinion. But, you never know. A coach that wants a pure pocket passer may pass on Tyrod. A Bill Parcels type guy who adapts to his personnel would build a Superbowl team around TT. Don't know how many coaches out there are the Bill Parcels type that will adjust to the players rather than make the players try to fit their system. Perhaps we already have that guy - A Lynn. I don't know. If he is, then I bet he wins the job.

This to me isn't that complicated. They don't want to force TT on the next coach which could happen with an injury next week. They have the option to do as they please. Cardale simply isn't ready. That isn't news to anyone that's watched him. It doesn't mean that he won't be good in a year or so but he just isn't ready.

This to me isn't that complicated. They don't want to force TT on the next coach which could happen with an injury next week. They have the option to do as they please. Cardale simply isn't ready. That isn't news to anyone that's watched him. It doesn't mean that he won't be good in a year or so but he just isn't ready.

it seems like a pretty easy set of answers. you could always search for a troubling narrative, but in this case the obvious seems obvious. sure, whaley probably isnt TT's biggest fan, but i dont think anyone can say hes out to sabotage him and about to force EJ on us aggressively.

Honest question. Not trying to be sarcastic or push a narrative at all.

So if EJ throws for 300 yards and 3 touchdowns, he still sucks cuz its the Jets?

No, he will have played a good game.

it seems like a pretty easy set of answers. you could always search for a troubling narrative, but in this case the obvious seems obvious. sure, whaley probably isnt TT's biggest fan, but i dont think anyone can say hes out to sabotage him and about to force EJ on us aggressively.

He is protecting Cardale IMO. He seems like the logical answer but if he's going to go out there and look terrible his confidence may take a hit.

I only ask because for so many posters on here, even pretty respected posters, the book being closed on EJ, a third year high draft pic, seems incredibly short sighted.

i think that his story is mostly written. you dont hand him the keys to the franchise off of one game. but if he has been practicing well, killing it in the film room and he comes out and shows well on the field i am ok with him being treated as a respected vet that you dont expect to start and seeing where things go from there.

I only ask because for so many posters on here, even pretty respected posters, the book being closed on EJ, a third year high draft pic, seems incredibly short sighted.

I think that the book is closed on EJ but I wouldn't fall under the pretty respected poster category. He has a chance to latch on somewhere as a number 2 or 3. I don't think that his career is over but at the same time I don't think that anybody is considering him as a starter (or even in a competition).

This reason he is starting is because they don't want to force TT on the next coach. An injury in this game would do just that. The flexibility helps the Bills in the hiring process. Cardale just isn't ready to play. That leaves EJ as the guy.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Really wish we could see cardale instead

I agree, why not start him? Most say he isn't ready but it's an opportunity to see where he is. Get some game time to try and solidify what he had been learning and get the opportunity to make mistakes in a game that doesn't count, something he can also learn from.

Could be premature but I just want to see where he is.