Why throw the ball with 2:31 left in the game.

BS. You play to win. Complete that and the game is pretty much over. Run it for a couple against a stacked box and the Bengals still get the ball back, albeit with a bit less time.

Funny thing is, if they ran it and didn't get the first down, you'd have the same people complaining that they have no balls and should have gone for the jugular.

Having said that, the defensive calls on the last cincy drive was way too conservative. Shouldn't have even gotten to a jump ball situation.

Were a running team, Cinny is out of time outs. Were running the ball at will. What with the quick out to Harvin with on 3rd and 2? Worst case back losses a yard and we run another 30 seconds off the clock. Punt after the 2 min warning.

If we ran and didnt get it people on here would be complaining about how we were playing to not lose instead of going for the win. We played for the win, messed up the throw but we got the win. Be happy!!! Season is still alive for now. I get what youre saying but I like the go for the throat mentality

If we ran and didnt get it people on here would be complaining about how we were playing to not lose instead of going for the win. We played for the win, messed up the throw but we got the win. Be happy!!! Season is still alive for now. I get what youre saying but I like the go for the throat mentality

I'm extremely happy with the win. Just discussing a play call. And besides, who says running on 3rd and 3 when you're the top rushing team in the NFL 2 years running is not playing for the win?

He was open he did seem to get out of the break late if he catches it is game

I don't think we pick it up running they were selling out

The only reason I liked a run was to waste the time and waste he 2 min warning

That's 30 secs plus the time they can save with 2min

Because we're stupid. Running the clock down to the 2 minute warning was the play there. And the way we're running the football, we probably get the first down. The Bengals don't even get close to the Hail Mary if we just run the ball there. Stupid is as stupid does, and someday, our poor play-calling in the clutch will cost us a game.

BS. You play to win. Complete that and the game is pretty much over. Run it for a couple against a stacked box and the Bengals still get the ball back, albeit with a bit less time.

Funny thing is, if they ran it and didn't get the first down, you'd have the same people complaining that they have no balls and should have gone for the jugular.

Having said that, the defensive calls on the last cincy drive was way too conservative. Shouldn't have even gotten to a jump ball situation.

This, I agree 100%.

I thought we were going to move the pocket to make an easier throw for TT. I liked the decision to go for it and not give them the chance to come back. Hated the super prevent defense at the end of the game.

Were a running team, Cinny is out of time outs. Were running the ball at will. What with the quick out to Harvin with on 3rd and 2? Worst case back losses a yard and we run another 30 seconds off the clock. Punt after the 2 min warning.

You're complaining about the result. It was a good strategy given the alignment of the defense and the play was there to be made.

I think the pass call was terrible. We are a running team and 3rd & 3 should have been a running down. Put some faith in the O-Line and back. The worst thing that could have happened is we do not make the first, the clock runs down to the 2 minute warning, and then we punt. It was a bad choice, but luckily it did not hurt us.

I'm OK with it...I like Lynn's aggressive nature...he has been a breath of fresh air for the most part as OC and I have rarely sat there and screamed WTF is that play call?? Like I did under Roman

Edited by matter2003

I'm OK with it...I like Lynn's aggressive nature...he has been a breath of fresh air for the most part as OC and I have rarely sat there and screamed WTF is that play call?? Like I did under Roman

Time & place. There's aggressive smart and aggressive stupid. That was aggressive stupid.

If the Bills had thrown 1 long ball at some time in the first half that would have been aggressive smart. (yes, could be on Tyrod)

You're complaining about the result. It was a good strategy given the alignment of the defense and the play was there to be made.

Was it a good strategy given who we have under center?

If a play is there to be made when you call a QB draw, does that making calling one with Brady or Palmer a good call?

Should've run the ball BUT if you're gonna throw it, you HAVE to hit that pass.

If opening the playbook fully and prioritizing the clock over yardage you have to think that play had a high chance of "success" if the main goal just not stopping the clock.

I don't fault them for trying the close out the game

The Raiders threw a bomb and completed it on 3rd down to close out their game. If you are going to pay a guy franchise qb money, they should be able to make those kind of plays. I'm so sick of winning despite our qb.

If opening the playbook fully and prioritizing the clock over yardage you have to think that play had a high chance of "success" if the main goal just not stopping the clock.

I don't fault them for trying the close out the game

The flip side is a lot of fans would criticize them for running the ball 3 times and punting because it would be Jauron ball.

The red zone calls in this last game left a bit to be desired.

I have no problem with passing in that situation. I'd prefer to line up I-form though and play action though. The shotgun quick out is a timing play, and doesn't play to our inaccurate QBs best attributes.

Edited by dneveu

Because we're stupid. Running the clock down to the 2 minute warning was the play there. And the way we're running the football, we probably get the first down. The Bengals don't even get close to the Hail Mary if we just run the ball there. Stupid is as stupid does, and someday, our poor play-calling in the clutch will cost us a game.

Completely agree. Yes, a completed pass wins the game but so does a 3 yard run. On the other hand, an incomplete pass stops the clock and gives the Bengals about 3 'free' plays in comparison with running the ball and winding down the clock. The best answer isn't always highest likelihood of success but also must be weighted with the outcome if failure occurs. At that point in time with the Bengals having expended all their time outs the clock was our friend and the coaches blew it by stopping the clock.

I didn't like it at the time. I would have much preferred the Bills go 3 wide and called a QB draw there.

Let TT get the first and if he doesn't the clock runs down to 2 min. Throwing the ball when your top 2 wideouts are out of the game doesn't make sense to me, particularly when you have a QB with wheels.

The Raiders threw a bomb and completed it on 3rd down to close out their game. If you are going to pay a guy franchise qb money, they should be able to make those kind of plays. I'm so sick of winning despite our qb.

The flip side is a lot of fans would criticize them for running the ball 3 times and punting because it would be Jauron ball.

Eh - they were out of timeouts with 2:30 left in the half - id run it. Especially since gillislee has like 3 career TDs in this exact situation where he gets passed the LBs and outruns the last safety.

The area of the field was open--the play was the right play and the call was right. Execution was not. Two things happened.

Harvin was like a snail coming out of the break. He sucks at route running and that was a time when he needed to be at least good. Woods and Watkins make that play easily.

The pass rusher cut off the ideal throwing lane (watch the play--TT has to push the ball further outside than he'd want to or the ball will get batted down).

I don't hate a run there but 3 yards on a run is not easy and Cincy was ready for that.

No, no, no, You are what you are. We are a power running team, we have multiple injuries at receiver. New England throws the ball in that situation not us New England wins multiple super bowls, we win none. You have to play the odds in that situation.

No, no, no, You are what you are. We are a power running team, we have multiple injuries at receiver. New England throws the ball in that situation not us New England wins multiple super bowls, we win none. You have to play the odds in that situation.

Yeah sucks hopes pinned to a QB that has to have a RB close the game out because he cannot make some simple throws

I didn't like it at the time. I would have much preferred the Bills go 3 wide and called a QB draw there.

Let TT get the first and if he doesn't the clock runs down to 2 min. Throwing the ball when your top 2 wideouts are out of the game doesn't make sense to me, particularly when you have a QB with wheels.

I don't even mind the call of a pass and telling him if it's not there run/take a sack instead of throwing a tough ball (not saying this was a tough ball). The pass play call itself is practical but everyone has to be clear on objective and then the player has to execute.

I didn't feel like it was rolling ej out to throw against his body to hogan in the jax game last year either (as an illustrations of picking a bad play among your pass plays)

Not complaining about the result, happy for any type of win. Just feel like it's the coaching staffs job to put team in best position to win. Didn't feel that was the right call. Felt we are a running time that plays good defense, against an offense that we having a bad day. If they stop us, that gives then 30 sec less to work with, and take away the 2 min warning. I don't feel the bills are good enough to make dumb mistakes.

It's easy to second guess now, but when the play unfolded, I was (unhappily) shocked they were throwing. The odds favor keeping the clock moving at that point, and Tyrod wasn't inspiring any confidence throughout the game (or his career really) that he could make a clutch play there. But it was a well designed play for that situation if they were going to pass, so even though they didn't make it, it was a sensible play design.

I was also shocked when Rex had Carp kick that long FG. Couldn't believe he had confidence in him and he nailed it. Good for him.

I am glad to see more aggressive calls and if they continue (or start) to have success, confidence will snowball through the rest of this year's schedule. They are going to have to play to win the next 6 weeks.