Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 2 year total on this would be more than the current year plus a tag... no?

ie we would be giving him both a raise and likely some guarantees to free up the tag and possibly avoid holdout next year (at least kick those 2 cans down another year).

Im not sure....I was thinking it might be a 2 year extension meaning AFTER this year.

would the 30/2 contract allow a gilmore signing?

When Whaley was on Sirius Tuesday he mentioned they feel they have the dollars to get both Tyrod and Gilmore done this year. Let's hope...

would the 30/2 contract allow a gilmore signing?

Yes.

Assuming it's equal cap hit for both years, it'll add $12M this year and $15M next year.

Since Gilmore already counts for $11M against the cap, his new deal would likely lower that amount, and they'd still have around $20M left under next year's cap (assuming it continues to rise at the expected rate).

team is in a tough spot.... lets see how they come out... I like it as a middle ground bridge type deal the team can live with ... lets face it, they have no one else to play the position, the league is very short on QB quality, forget about starters ( the Jets are starting freakin fitz for pete's sake) , they know they cannot walk from TT until at LEAST 2018, so might as well lock him up for 2 years (3 if you consider the tag in 2018). The cost is you have to pay starter $ starting now. even if the team sucks , TT will still be the starter next year and prob the year after that.. who else you gonna get?? another re tread and hope you get TT2 for cheap for a couple more years? crappy way to run a railroad

Seems reasonable ( by NFL skyrocket salary standards) to me. They had him cheap last year and he worked out.

This is just a tough call. The good news is it could be worse and EJ could be the only guy they have and they would have to pay HIM, as he is at the back end of his contract as well. What a mess THAT would be. Big time shortage of NFL starting QB talent out there. If you are any good, you get paid, bc the alternative is usually even worse.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

But the downside of all of this (and it was gonna be the case anyway)

We HAVE to keep hitting on draft picks because we are basically using all our money to sign our own people......

No high priced free agencies.

I'm good with that.

If this doesn't have a team option after 2 years, this makes no sense. Is the idea to throw money at him in good faith and hope he returns the favor if earns a long term deal? If not, he's getting 3 this year and the tag is 22ish next year. So what's the point in this?

If they want to do 2 years for 20 mil, I'd be better with that.

The first reference to a 3 year deal with a team option for more makes the most sense to me.

If this doesn't have a team option after 2 years, this makes no sense. Is the idea to throw money at him in good faith and hope he returns the favor if earns a long term deal? If not, he's getting 3 this year and the tag is 22ish next year. So what's the point in this?

If they want to do 2 years for 20 mil, I'd be better with that.

The first reference to a 3 year deal with a team option for more makes the most sense to me.

When does the current CBA expire? I believe that the current deal will be in place to allow Buffalo could tag him if necessary. It's a lot of cash, but, not for a good QB...hopefully Taylor proves to be one.

When does the current CBA expire? I believe that the current deal will be in place to allow Buffalo could tag him if necessary. It's a lot of cash, but, not for a good QB...hopefully Taylor proves to be one.

I still don't see the benefit here. If TT proves his worth this year, we he's going to get a deal next year and we need the franchise tag for Gilmore next year. So, the only reason to get a deal done now is to prevent needing the tag next year and not hosing ourselves ala Fitz style.

Pushing the deal down two years is even worse in my opinion. If he's the guy two years down the road still, it's only going to cost us more

I still don't see the benefit here. If TT proves his worth this year, we he's going to get a deal next year and we need the franchise tag for Gilmore next year. So, the only reason to get a deal done now is to prevent needing the tag next year and not hosing ourselves ala Fitz style.

Pushing the deal down two years is even worse in my opinion. If he's the guy two years down the road still, it's only going to cost us more

Yes it'll cost more, and we'll be overjoyed to pay it if he's the real deal

I'd think the deal would get done before the second year. It just gives him a safety net.

You answered your own question.

If Tyrod plays well, and we need to tag Gilmore, then it's probably 50/50 that we lose Tyrod in FA.

I wouldnt play with those chances if I was a FO that has struggled to find a QB for decades.

I cant believe I am saying this as I am a total TT supporter.....but a bridge deal also protects the bills from a Fitz situation?

It is not TOTALLY going to be a bills friendly thing....that is why it is a negotiation.

Im not sure....I was thinking it might be a 2 year extension meaning AFTER this year.

i do not think he is committing to a 3 year 33m deal, making him essentially the lowest paid starting qb in the league (of the guys you would expect to start).

possible i suppose, but not what i would expect.

i do not think he is committing to a 3 year 33m deal, making him essentially the lowest paid starting qb in the league (of the guys you would expect to start).

possible i suppose, but not what i would expect.

yeah I am asking questions more then giving answers....contracts are definately not my thing.

We just cant let him get away

I actually think 2 years 30mil is a bit low, but what do I know?

With incentives? I could see it. This is what I was pushing for. You show some love to a guy when you don't have to it earns some goodwill. TT gets a 750% raise but still cap friendly enough to get Gilmore signed (maybe.)

With incentives? I could see it. This is what I was pushing for. You show some love to a guy when you don't have to it earns some goodwill. TT gets a 750% raise but still cap friendly enough to get Gilmore signed (maybe.)

A TT deal will make Gilmore's sphincter tighten up a bit as it frees the tag to use on him and that amount is farther south of the Josh Norman money he's looking for than what the Bills are offering.

Edited by K-9

A TT deal will make Gilmore's sphincter tighten up a bit as it frees the tag to use on him and that amount is farther south of the Josh Norman money he's looking for than what the Bills are offering.

Good point (I think). It's pucker time.

So I can see it looking like this:

2 years $30 mil with $25 mil guaranteed.

Signing bonus of $15 mil with base salaries of $5 mil. Pay out the bonus in the first 2 years to bring it to $25 mil paid in the first 2 years all guaranteed. That and his 2016 base of $3 mil brings his total 2 year take to $28 mil. The last year would be $5 mil base only voidable by performance both ways.

TT gets security now (avoiding injury disaster) and having confidence in himself, knows he can earn more in 2 years.

Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

You answered your own question.

If Tyrod plays well, and we need to tag Gilmore, then it's probably 50/50 that we lose Tyrod in FA.

I wouldnt play with those chances if I was a FO that has struggled to find a QB for decades.

Why would you tag Gilmore and not TT in that scenario?

@spotrac

It's arbitrary, but a $15M per year deal for #Bills QB Tyrod Taylor would rank 23rd among active QBs (between Dalton & Fitzpatrick).

The $30 million over 2 years is fair for a bridge deal for both sides. Both sides probably only want something in place like this for two years..the Bills because they have been burnt before; TT and his agent because they see big bucks after this bridge contract but in the short term they get to collect a sum that guards against injury.

To make this great for the Bills I would add a third and maybe fourth year at the team option at about $19-21 million per year. I think SalC suggested this -- it would be like the Percy Harvin deal where the team held options for 2 more years at $9 million per year base...if TT is lights out this will be an appropriate deal and it gives the Bills some certainty. If not the Bills can walk away...

Edited by JoeF

I think 15 mil/year is fair. Taylor, as a first year starter, performed very well. He has shown maturity in the off season with all of this extension/contract talk. He has shown leadership and he has shown that he has a great work ethic. I see this bridge as a perfect compromise for Taylor and the organization.

I think 15 mil/year is fair. Taylor, as a first year starter, performed very well. He has shown maturity in the off season with all of this extension/contract talk. He has shown leadership and he has shown that he has a great work ethic. I see this bridge as a perfect compromise for Taylor and the organization.

Who are you and what have you done with Gugny!

I am giving the contract to TT right after he beats the Pats. Brady or no Brady.

all the money. 20 mil 10 years all guaren f'n teed

I like your enthusiasm, but seems a bit over the top. Could we throw some incentives in there just to hedge the bet?

I like your enthusiasm, but seems a bit over the top. Could we throw some incentives in there just to hedge the bet?

He's very hungry tonight, and not just for Bills success. It may lead to extremes.