Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills are in the power of position now. They won't be next offseason when they'll be forced to either pay him 0r tag him. I understand the dilemma because they have him for such a low price this year. I think if he gets a new deal soon it will reflect a healthy hometown discount. Probably in the $15- $16M range. If he plays good this year he'll likely be asking for $19-$20M

could very well be. who knows. I'd wait and break the bank if he plays well. an extra 3mil it costs to verify he is the real deal. I'd wait. Hell, Seattle waited with Wilson and they knew he was great

They are starting NFL QBs. One flubbed a playoff season and will get paid $12MM. The other made the Pro Bowl in his first season as a starter and will make 1/4th of that.

And one of them was a free agent, able to sign for whatever he wants; the other is under contract, so he's unable to hand-pick a new deal right now.

I do wish that folks would stop referencing the pro bowl selection as though it's some kind of great feat; he was the 2nd or 3rd alternate who got in because several others couldn't play. Nice feather in the cap, yes; actual negotiating leverage, no.

Bottom line: his incentive to sign here was twofold--a chance to start, and a contract that contained a voidable year based upon hitting certain incentives. He hit them, and not he gets a chance at a new deal after the 2016 season.

There's nothing wrong with this picture at all.

I am all for giving TT a new contract. He is one of the few good things happening on this team.

Geez Bill.

One of the few good things?

It truly has been a long time since we've made the playoffs.

I do wish that folks would stop referencing the pro bowl selection as though it's some kind of great feat; he was the 2nd or 3rd alternate who got in because several others couldn't play. Nice feather in the cap, yes; actual negotiating leverage, no.

He shoulda stayed home. Throwing 3 ints in a pro bowl game is one strange feat.

He shoulda stayed home. Throwing 3 ints in a pro bowl game is one strange feat.

I care as much about his performance in that game as I do about his selection.

He played above expectations last year, and has a chance to be the solution at QB for this team if he can improve in a few key areas that have been discussed at length.

At this point, anything more than a bridge deal is a serious gamble on the part of the team given the players that will need new deals in the next 2 years (Gilmore, Watkins, Darby).

I care as much about his performance in that game as I do about his selection.

He played above expectations last year, and has a chance to be the solution at QB for this team if he can improve in a few key areas that have been discussed at length.

At this point, anything more than a bridge deal is a serious gamble on the part of the team given the players that will need new deals in the next 2 years (Gilmore, Watkins, Darby).

Amen, brother.

Tyrod has almost no incentive to sign a deal now. Why would he? He'd be leaving millions of dollars on the table. Unless the Bills are going to extend him for $18-20M/year, he'll say thanks but no thanks. He'll be better off being franchised or hitting free agency.

What if he sucks in 2016?

What if he suffers a significant injury in 2016?

RLB bringing up Pro Bowl interceptions is all you need to know how empty his anti-TT argument is.

And, no. I'm not going to stop mentioning TT's Pro Bowl selection because it's a legitimate recognition of his season. Sorry if it spoils your narrative. Even if you are the 5th alternate, that still puts you in the top third of the league. Not bad for his first season as a starter.

RLB bringing up Pro Bowl interceptions is all you need to know how empty his anti-TT argument is.

And, no. I'm not going to stop mentioning TT's Pro Bowl selection because it's a legitimate recognition of his season. Sorry if it spoils your narrative. Even if you are the 5th alternate, that still puts you in the top third of the league. Not bad for his first season as a starter.

Bringing up TT being chosen as a Pro Bowl alternate does nothing for a pro-TT argument, either. Making the Pro Bowl and playing (well or poorly) in the Pro Bowl mean zilch. Zero. Nada.

I would think Foles' release and FA availability makes this extension improbable, IF the BILLS are as interested in Foles as being reported. That would be investing a great deal of money into two players that can only play one position. I would also think, if the BILLS gave Tyrod a big deal before signing him it would signal that the BILLS really only see Foles as a back-up, instead of a "possible" starter. I think getting Foles to Buffalo could be a stretch for the immediately aforementioned reason, but Tyrod being on just a one year deal currently, makes it at least a reasonable consideration. I would sell Foles on the idea that he could come in and learn the Offense, without pressure to be the #1 guy, and an opportunity to be the future if he proves himself and then offer him a 4 year deal with two years fully guaranteed.

Bringing up TT being chosen as a Pro Bowl alternate does nothing for a pro-TT argument, either. Making the Pro Bowl and playing (well or poorly) in the Pro Bowl mean zilch. Zero. Nada.

I'm glass-half-full. You're glass-empty-shattered-with-shards-in-both-feet. We'll see how the season plays out.

I'm glass-half-full. You're glass-empty-shattered-with-shards-in-both-feet. We'll see how the season plays out.

My statement is that the Pro Bowl means nothing. It has nothing to do with Tyrod Taylor or the Bills. The Pro Bowl is a meaningless designation and an even more meaningless game. It has nothing to do with how good or bad a player is.

I would think Foles' release and FA availability makes this extension improbable, IF the BILLS are as interested in Foles as being reported. That would be investing a great deal of money into two players that can only play one position. I would also think, if the BILLS gave Tyrod a big deal before signing him it would signal that the BILLS really only see Foles as a back-up, instead of a "possible" starter. I think getting Foles to Buffalo could be a stretch for the immediately aforementioned reason, but Tyrod being on just a one year deal currently, makes it at least a reasonable consideration. I would sell Foles on the idea that he could come in and learn the Offense, without pressure to be the #1 guy, and an opportunity to be the future if he proves himself and then offer him a 4 year deal with two years fully guaranteed.

Seriously?

My statement is that the Pro Bowl means nothing. It has nothing to do with Tyrod Taylor or the Bills. The Pro Bowl is a meaningless designation and an even more meaningless game. It has nothing to do with how good or bad a player is.

Okay, so the next time people complain the Bills don't have any pro bowl players I should just ignore it?

I do it because of you, we all know you would be ranting about his 3td performance in the pro bowl if that would have happened.

Just keeping the universe level, covering all the angles.

Never forget Bradford, Cousins, and Alex Smiff. Murderers row for pro bowl level qb's of Tyrod's ilk.

Edited by Ryan L Billz