Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

I hope Tyrod refuses to sign a bargain deal. I want him to see him hungry and dominate the league this year! I'd be leery of his ability/drive to become elite if he is willing to take a discount before this season. Play hardball Tyrod.... in order to sign you better get more than Osweiler, otherwise wait til next year.

Anyone know if he has kids/wife, or is he just playing for himself? Having a family would be the only reason for him to sign a deal in advance of the chance to make serious bank next off-season. Couldn't fault someone for taking care of their family first with injury risk so high

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the small sample size, if you can't tell the difference between TT and Fitz/Trent, I don't know what can be done for you. Pay the freaking man!!!

Until Trent got his brains blasted out he was the next coming around here. He was smart because he went to Stanford, I think it was Bill Walsh recommended and the team got off to a good start. Trent was done after the hit.

... I never saw this great enthusiasm last year for TT at this time. Lets see what he's got, a 1 year sample is Trent and Fitz like!

Well, then, it sounds like a done deal.

Still, I won't believe it's a done deal until Tim Graham reports on someone else reporting on it!

Or a Kane rape story.

I don't hate it at all at the right numbers. I am higher on Tyrod than others though. I think that he is a middle of the league guy now; I saw what I needed to see. He is already the best QB that we have had since AT LEAST Bledsoe and his ceiling is very high.

NoSaint is kind of right though that he would be crazy to take a anything less than a $18M average. If he would take a $15M average I think that it would be done already. Maybe, maybe, maybe you can get him on a Kaepernick-structured type of deal which would be a steal.

if he is anywhere near 15m right now and we are haggling i would be very surprised. that would leave him 23rd on the list of average annual pay.

nick foles would be the only qb making more than 10m a year that would be below him.

18m is a 3 way tie for 16th (cutler slightly ahead for 15th at 18.1m)

20m per is a tie for 11th.

just to give a little extra perspective to the pay

Have they learned NOTHING from Fitz, Trent Edwards et al?

The Fitz contract was great. Trent Edwards? Im not sure I understand.

Taylor is the Bills QB the next 3-4 years or more, even if they draft a QB next year. The Bills have a capable starter, sign him and develop a guy behind him.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

The Fitz contract was great. Trent Edwards? Im not sure I understand.

Taylor is the Bills QB the next 3-4 years or more, even if they draft a QB next year. The Bills have a capable starter, sign him and develop a guy behind him.

the fitz one really wasnt as terrible as most make it seem. he was like the 20th paid qb... if we just held him the extra year with drafting EJ it wouldve been pretty reasonable.

if TT is willing to take something that leaves him in the bottom half (or as the one poster proposed bottom third) of starters, with the corresponding guarantees - we should jump on it. worst case he ends up a bridge guy. i dont know if hes a top 5-10 guy long term, but hes certainly a top 32 guy for the next few years.

You need to sign him. Maybe it's a small sample size but you generally don't get 3 or 4 years of solid play from a QB before you have to shell out the big bucks. Also, what is the likelihood of getting a high end FA QB at any point in the next few years? Probably not very strong. EJ isn't the answer and it looks like Jones will need a few years to be close to being considered a viable starter.

I thought Taylor played very well last year, I see no valid reason to think he won't improve this season.

His ceiling is quite high. Guy is already the fastest QB in the league. Throws a beautiful deep ball. Isn't a knucklehead. I'd take the risk and sign him rather than take the risk that he ends up costing way more a year down the road or costing too much that we let him go. He didn't grow up watching the Bills and he won't take a hometown discount. And he shouldn't. It's a business and he'll go wherever the money is.

It's a QB driven league. You gotta take chances when you think you have your guy.

Edited by QB Bills

unless we're talking a 2 year deal i doubt we sign him. 2 years 30 mil? all guaranteed or something crazy might get it done. 20 mil signing bonus. no idea about how we fit in cap though.

If they can sign him for $18 million a year or less they have to. 4-5 years. Basically Brock Osweiler's deal. It doesnt prevent you from drafting a QB. Remember 1st round picks dont get crazy contracts.

A QB averaging $18 million will be in the bottom 10 highest paid QBs in the NFL in a couple years.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

His ceiling is quite high. Guy is already the fastest QB in the league. Throws a beautiful deep ball. Isn't a knucklehead. I'd take the risk and sign him rather than take the risk that he ends up costing way more a year down the road or costing too much that we let him go. He didn't grow up watching the Bills and he won't take a hometown discount. And he shouldn't. It's a business and he'll go wherever the money is.

It's a QB driven league. You gotta take chances when you think you have your guy.

I agree, it's risk vs reward. You can't afford to let even a middle of the pack QB get away and having to tag him will probably cost a lot more. It will give them room to sign Gilmore and plug some holes if need be.

Tyrod was gambling on himself when he signed with the Bills. (He had other offers for more money where he would have been a quality backup, I believe. Denver?) I don't see him changing who he is. He's going for the big deal, and I for one am praying he deserves it and gets it in Buffalo. If he can stay healthy, I think he can learn what he still needs to learn. But what do I know?

I like TT and I think he's a good person who will give it his all to live up to any contract he gets be it before during or after the season. I just really wanna see what he can do playing out his contract year and trying to "earn" his next payday. I have a feeling it could be really special to watch.

The article at least alludes to the fact that they're not simply opening the checkbook to give him Osweiler type of money. "Trying to seek common ground" tells me that they would extend him now, but at a discount. How much that discount is exactly is unknown. If I'm Tyrod and truly believe that his play on the field will speak for itself, there's no way I take a significant haircut off of the going rate for a starter. The only thing that makes sense for the Bills trying to do it now is the discount. There's no point in paying the full rate now, when you can just make him earn it.

Agreed. I do not believe the Bills will offer anything approaching the Osweller deal. If they can sign him to a team friendly deal, why not. Otherwise, let it play out.

Pay the man. The fellow above who says the Bills have leverage now is absolutely correct. It is by no means outside of the realm of possibility that injury could cost Tyrod the financial security he could achieve now. And I believe there is a majority likelihood that Tyrod will play well enough this year that we will lose that leverage when he can get that security from the market as well as for the Bills. This could be a win-win. Tyrod knows that he and his family are taken care of, and Bills can get a discount of some amount vs. what they would be forced to pay if Tyrod has a good year and can address the market. Also gives our boys clarity on their cap situation for addressing folks like Gilmore. But QB is most important . . . Get 'er done! Clearly the smart move in my view. If you think Tyrod is not your guy, you needed to make a move in the draft higher than Cardale or in free agency. If your best football judgment is that he is the guy, then you need to pay him now.

And as to the idea that Tyrod needs to play hungry - in this case I don't think so. Certain Byrds may play best at contract time. I think this one is motivated by a desire to be great and prove wrong all the people that tried to move him to another position, in addition to the money. I don't expect $$$ would change the man's hunger.