Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

Listen Gugny, you've made your position regarding Taylor very clear. When a deal is reached, you'll hate it. We get it.

16-18?

Not true at all. Depends on the deal. I'm gonna wait and see what deal gets made, if it even happens at all, before I praise or tear down Whaley. Nothing else makes sense.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15m per would leave him as the 20-something highest paid contract. i just dont see that being a deal he jumps at. maybe, but it seems a long shot.

I'm predicting if the number is cap friendly, say 15-ish/yr, there will be an out clause to renegotiate the deal in two years.

It makes sense for both sides to get something that is mid-range QB done...$16-18 million announced or so. Very few QBs get paid before they make a post season run. Orsweiler played his situation perfectly. Got starting experience as his rookie deal was expiring. Showed enough to get paid. Time will tell if the Texans made a good bet.

Taylor's timing is good to but he took a risk to get in the position. Taylor took an average back up QB deal and won the starting role. His agent structured the deal to opt out so if his client did well he could get paid quicker...but this is a game where you need to make a deal at the right time...put incentives in to give you upside but strike when you can to get the guaranteed money.

I would not be opposed to something like 5 years $90 million announced -- but looking like this...

- Signing Bonus - $16 million

Year 1 base - $7 million (fully guaranteed) ($2 million in playoff and probowl incentives)- fits in this year's cap

Year 2 base - $13 million (Fully guaranteed) ($2 million playoff and probowl incentives)

Year 3 base $14.5 million, $2 million in playoff and probowl incentives

Year 4 base $14.5 million, $2 million in playoff and probowl incentives

Year 5 base $15 million, $2 million in playoff and probowl incentives

Basically $36 million in guaranteed money -- and smaller cap hits if he is cut after year 2 ($9.6 million), Year 3 ($6.4 million) and year 4 ($3.2 million) if the Bills have to cut him..

This is good for everyone--he is going to be the Bills QB for the next two years likely no matter what--give him that certainty and the money that goes with it and lock him up for longer if he proves to be the franchise guy...,this is a bargain and spreads the cap money to keep and build depth around him

Edited by JoeF

Whew, you're a negative guy and sometimes it gets tiresome. I am however glad you can at least laugh at it.

I don't see myself as negative so much as realistic. I'd feel stupid if I didn't think logically about things. I just don't see the point in thinking everything is rainbows and unicorns. The funniest thing about being called negative is that I've actually had higher expectations of the Bills than what they've achieved. I had them at 10-6 and making the 6th playoff spot last season. They finished 8-8. Thinking back on it I was a little Pollyanna-ish.

But I do think your comment was funny. I usually haven't been very enthusiastic, but that is because I haven't seen much reason for enthusiasm. That will change if/when I see reason for it.

Edited by BarleyNY

For the folks that act like its their money I have no doubt this contract is going to be hated

Starting QBs cost money folks

I don't see myself as negative so much as realistic. I'd feel stupid if I didn't think logically about things. I just don't see the point in thinking everything is rainbows and unicorns. The funniest thing about being called negative is that I've actually had higher expectations of the Bills than what they've achieved. I had them at 10-6 and making the 6th playoff spot last season. They finished 8-8. Thinking back on it I was a little Pollyanna-ish.

But I do think your comment was funny. I haven't been enthusiastic, but that is because I haven't seen much reason for enthusiasm. That will change if/when I see reason for it.

I love how negative people flaunt themselves as "realists" all the time

I like Taylor but in regards to the Bills if you have been "negative" the last 16 years over the players/coaches you have been right 90% of the time.

Jesus, don't tell that to John From Hemet. It doesn't matter that the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 16 years and have only two winning records in that time. Every Bills player was awesome. Every Bills coach was awesome. It was either the refs' fault, other teams cheating, or we got "bit by the injury bug." Regardless, the Bills were always the best team in the NFL in each of those years. Period.

But I do think your comment was funny. I usually haven't been very enthusiastic, but that is because I haven't seen much reason for enthusiasm. That will change if/when I see reason for it.

Well here's something to be positive about. Our starting QB is a consummate professional.

Taylor reiterated he doesn’t need his agent to keep telling him what is going on with the talks.

“There’s no way that my mind could be focused on practice and as soon as I get to my phone after practice, ‘hey, what’s going on. I don’t want to function like that” Taylor told WGR. “If something happens and its serious enough for you to talk to me, then I’ll talk but until then I’m in training camp.”

Well here's something to be positive about. Our starting QB is a consummate professional.

Taylor reiterated he doesn’t need his agent to keep telling him what is going on with the talks.

“There’s no way that my mind could be focused on practice and as soon as I get to my phone after practice, ‘hey, what’s going on. I don’t want to function like that” Taylor told WGR. “If something happens and its serious enough for you to talk to me, then I’ll talk but until then I’m in training camp.”

Agreed. Sammy the Foot should take a page from Tyrod's book on speaking to the media.

Jesus, don't tell that to John From Hemet. It doesn't matter that the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 16 years and have only two winning records in that time. Every Bills player was awesome. Every Bills coach was awesome. It was either the refs' fault, other teams cheating, or we got "bit by the injury bug." Regardless, the Bills were always the best team in the NFL in each of those years. Period.

And of course this all proves the Bills will never improve or make the playoffs ever because 16 years...

I love how negative people flaunt themselves as "realists" all the time

I love how Pollyannas ignore reality. Conversations usually go like this:

Realist: I see a problem here.

Pollyanna: You're so negative! Everything's great!

R: Not everything. Just look at the problem. It's pretty big.

P: You just want to see failure so you can say you were right!

R: No, I'd rather be wrong, but the facts say this is a problem.

P: You're so negative! Everything's great!

(Bad, predictable thing happens)

R: Yep, saw that coming.

P: You happy now? You always root for failure.

R: No. It sucks, but I'm not surprised.

P: You're so negative!

Taylor reiterated he doesn’t need his agent to keep telling him what is going on with the talks.“There’s no way that my mind could be focused on practice and as soon as I get to my phone after practice, ‘hey, what’s going on. I don’t want to function like that” Taylor told WGR. “If something happens and its serious enough for you to talk to me, then I’ll talk but until then I’m in training camp.”

Yeah, he's been professional and I've given him props for it. He deserves it.