Browns release Brian Hartline

He had 1 less catch and 29 less yards than Woods last year. He did that with Johnny Manziel, Josh McCown and Austin Davis throwing him the football. If you don't want to call that equivalent that's up to you. He ran a 4.52 almost 10 years ago compared to Woods more recent 4.51. The irony is that I think of all of the players in the NFL Hartline MAY be the best comparison for Woods. They are very, very similar. If you can get Hartline for 2 years at $5M it is a much better deal than paying Woods $6M a year starting in 2017.

Clay to me is a bit of a wild card and a guy that they need to use more. His talent is there. I don't think that Hartline could ever be more valuable to the passing game than Clay or Watkins. I absolutely think that he can be as valuable as Woods. They are virtually the same guy.

Fixed that for you. This thread has turned into the same dumpster fire that is Brian Hartline's career in its twilight.

Fixed that for you. This thread has turned into the same dumpster fire that is Brian Hartline's career in its twilight.

It was in 2009, Woods was in 2013. They were 4 years apart.

I really don't think that I am missing it. They are virtually the same player. They are both high end number 3's with similar skill sets. It's odd that you are high on Woods and low on Hartline? They are the same guy (except for Woods' exceptional blocking).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He'd be the Bills #3 WR instantly. He's not a special player, but he'd be dependable. I don't know if he'd be better than Hogan or not, but that's kind of a moot point at this juncture.

he has good hands, fights for the ball, runs good routes, competes every week, and approaches the game like a professional. IMO

I don't understand how this thread became contentious. If Hartline was brought in he would have to compete for a job. If he is slow and done for then he won't make the team, if he can still play then he might make the team. What is the problem?

I don't understand how this thread became contentious. If Hartline was brought in he would have to compete for a job. If he is slow and done for then he won't make the team, if he can still play then he might make the team. What is the problem?

It's a one man show making all the odd anti Hartline ruckus.

Get er dun buddy.

That would make him #1 WR on this team...

???

I think the Bills should take a look at him. He's a good player. He could compete with Woods for the #2 spot IMO. Coming off injury, would be relatively cheap. He was at about 3mill/yr with Cleveland.

@profootballtalk

Browns release veteran WR Brian Hartline, per source.

If going to kick the tires of a veteran why not Marlon Brown who has size (6-5) and spent a little time with Tyrod in Baltimore.

I'm all for giving players like Hankerson & Salas a chance to see what they've got.

I think adding Hartline would be a plus. He's a veteran and would easily battle for the #3 spot. It wouldn't hurt to give him a chance.

Based on what? One game against the Jets?

I've been saying all offseason, the receivers outside of Sammy are mediocre at best.

and you base your medicore evaluation on one game vs the jets

I got NOTHING against adding to the training camp competition..but hey...Salas did look good when given the opportunity

I think the Bills should take a look at him. He's a good player. He could compete with Woods for the #2 spot IMO. Coming off injury, would be relatively cheap. He was at about 3mill/yr with Cleveland.

@profootballtalk

Every time I saw him, he dropped passes and looked horrible. I don't know how much of that was him or that scrub Tannenhill. . .but I am not sold. Minor contract with minimual commitment yet. . .roster spot needs to be earned

He drives slow so he's unlikely to arrive places in a timely fashion and he went to Ohio State, which means it will probably take him some time to learn the playbook. Maybe he will drop some of these habits if he leaves Ohio.

He had 1 less catch and 29 less yards than Woods last year. He did that with Johnny Manziel, Josh McCown and Austin Davis throwing him the football. If you don't want to call that equivalent that's up to you. He runs a 4.52 and Woods a 4.51. The irony is that I think of all of the players in the NFL Hartline MAY be the best comparison for Woods. They are very, very similar. If you can get Hartline for 2 years at $5M it is a much better deal than paying Woods $6M a year starting in 2017.

Clay to me is a bit of a wild card and a guy that they need to use more. His talent is there. I don't think that Hartline could ever be more valuable to the passing game than Clay or Watkins. I absolutely think that he can be as valuable as Woods. They are virtually the same guy.

Woods did his work last season with a torn groin though. Although, I'm not opposed to Whaley looking into Hartline. Would be a decent pick up.

Edited by purple haze

@profootballtalk

sign em, better than what we have.

Hartline would be a reasonable Hogan replacement. I think at this stage Hogan is better physically and has better hands, but Hartline is a slightly older version of the same player who has been used more as a #2 in his career (and for a couple of years in Miami basically the #1). Hartline and Nate Washington were my Hogan comparisons last year and I think there is merit to bringing him in. If one of the younger higher upside guys beats him out then fine, cut him, but for now he would give me a bit more confidence in the depth behind Sammy.

Woods did his work last season with a torn groin though. Although, I'm not opposed to Whaley looking into Hartline. Would be a decent pick up.

This. I think many are forgetting that Woods played hurt last year. Sure he falls down a lot and can play overly emotional at times but he's a solid #2.

I noticed that when Tyrod was on the JMS about a week ago he noted that Woods looked "explosive" in the workouts. Hopefully he'll have a bounce back year.

This. I think many are forgetting that Woods played hurt last year. Sure he falls down a lot and can play overly emotional at times but he's a solid #2.

I noticed that when Tyrod was on the JMS about a week ago he noted that Woods looked "explosive" in the workouts. Hopefully he'll have a bounce back year.

He still only averaged 4.3 yards more a game in 2014 when healthy. That translates to another 68.8 yards on the year. He isn't a good number 2. He was 81st in catches and 72nd in yards (I actually thought that he was a little higher in catches). Those are very low end number 2 numbers (even though the Bills didn't throw a ton). He'd be a perfect #3 but apparently the Bills haven't even reached out to Boldin.

If going to kick the tires of a veteran why not Marlon Brown who has size (6-5) and spent a little time with Tyrod in Baltimore.

sure, him too!

Yeah, it's not an either/or situation. Signing Marlon Brown certainly wouldn't preclude bringing in a vet WR. Have you seen him play? Is there something that impressed you about him? All I see is his stat sheet and that the WR needy Ravens released him after 3 seasons.

He'd be a perfect #3 but apparently the Bills haven't even reached out to Boldin.

Listened to Whaley this morning and he sounded confident that they'll be able to add vets this summer in positions of need, but don't feel the urgency right now. My guess is they think they can risk potentially losing out on Boldin & Freeney when the needs truly come up because there will be equal quality vets out there in June/July.

Listened to Whaley this morning and he sounded confident that they'll be able to add vets this summer in positions of need, but don't feel the urgency right now. My guess is they think they can risk potentially losing out on Boldin & Freeney when the needs truly come up because there will be equal quality vets out there in June/July.

Vets like Boldin & Freeney often wait until late in training camp before signing with a team to avoid wearing themselves out.

Hartline would be a nominal replacement for Hogan as a receiver....and that means there is merit in signing him. However, I don't think he can play special teams like Hogan, who was valuable on the ST squads as he could tackle well. imho, that is one of the reasons Belicheck picked up Hogan...contributes in two areas of the team. At $3 mil though, Hartline isn't cheap...but, I recall, Hogan got $4mil a year for three years from the Pats. I would just as soon see a free agent tackle though.

Edited by bigK14094

Hartline would be a nominal replacement for Hogan as a receiver....and that means there is merit in signing him. However, I don't think he can play special teams like Hogan, who was valuable on the ST squads as he could tackle well. imho, that is one of the reasons Belicheck picked up Hogan...contributes in two areas of the team. At $3 mil though, Hartline isn't cheap...but, I recall, Hogan got $4mil a year for three years from the Pats. I would just as soon see a free agent tackle though.

while that is true, the Bills signed some FAs who are ST aces and be able to replace hogan there. Blanton, Lorenzo Alexander come to mind. Edited by YoloinOhio