RD 2, Pick 41: LB Reggie Ragland, University of Alabama

Beerball

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the pick. This kid is pretty instinctive read and react backer already at a young age. he's a thumper I like what the Bills did with these first two picks. immediate starters. Passes the eye test fo sho

Edited by BeefCurtns

that's ok Ragland wont get close enough for them to swat away.

Ragland was the 12th fastest LB at the combine in the 40. For an inside guy is that horrible to you?

Ragland was the 6th fastest LB at the combine in the shuttle. For an inside guy is that horrible to you?

At his size, with the power he packs I'll take that shuttle time to the freaking bank every day of the week. People keep talking about cover, yeah he's going to have to cover, but, 1-2 front seven will come off the field in passing situations. What if Ragland is one of those 1-2? What if Ragland is subbed by another LB in those situations? This is the end of the world? This is the reason you think it's a bad pick?

Have you thought about what he brings to the team in terms of run defense? Have you watched him sift through blockers to make tackles for loss numerous times? Don't you think we needed that kind of player last season? Did you think "damn, wish we had Spikes!" at any time during the 2015 season? Have you watched how he is typically exploding at the point of contact; whether it's in pass defense, the running game or rushing the passer? Don't you think that this team needs someone who brings bad intentions onto the football field (but is community minded off the field)?

I'm sorry, but to those of you saying we got a 2 down LB & that's the crux of your disagreement with the pick; I say you're being lazy.

Fourth Rounders really make a difference. Here's who The Bills have drafted in the 4th Round... and how many games they played in The League - and not necessarily for The Bills:

Year	Rnd	Pick#	Name	Pos	Played To	G

2001	4	110	Brandon Spoon	LB	2001	14

For the record, we still have a 4th Round pick this year, and The Bills have been without a 4th Round pick three other years.

Spoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

there are still some needs but the offense was addressed last year.

We basically only lost Hogan (inconsistent 3rd receiver) off last year's 13th ranked O. I think they're counting on (a) the natural improvement that comes from familiarity with a new system, especially for TT, who will get all the starter snaps in TC to boot, (b) the maturation of young guys like Sammy, Karlos and Miller and © everyone getting and staying healthy (we had huge injuries on that side of the ball last year), plus (d) one of the "once showed promise" FA receivers to step up and produce as our 2/3 receiver. If we get most of that, I'd say that's enough to push us into the Top 10 on O. Add these pieces to the D and I actually kind of like our chances next season if we stay healthy....

As a life long Crimson Tide Fan, here is my take:

Ragland is portrayed as a big hitter of sorts. He IS, but he wasn't THE biggest hitter on the Tide, as hard as this must be to believe. In my strong opinion, Ragland wasn't even the hardest hitting LB on the Tide! Reuben Foster (who stayed in school :) ) hits like a truck. Here ya go:

What Ragland is GREAT at is being around the football. He is NOT as bad in coverage as some claim. AGAIN, he is right there where the football is. Guys like that can win you games with big plays. He can blitz too, but I openly confess that I do not understand what Ryan is trying to do on defense. Ragland can be effective as a blitzing LB, better than his college numbers indicate. But it won't work as well when Hughes and Dareus are running backwards into pass coverage. How could it?

As much as I like the pick, Whaley continues to be a concern with regards to trading away our resources, let alone the contract to McCoy and even Clay. And he still has not addressed the RT position, which is just stupid.

In summary, I urge fellow Bills Fans not to worry so much about Ragland. The kid can play.

From where I sit, Whaley and the Ryans are the problem, but not for long imo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ragland was the 12th fastest LB at the combine in the 40. For an inside guy is that horrible to you?

Ragland was the 6th fastest LB at the combine in the shuttle. For an inside guy is that horrible to you?

At his size, with the power he packs I'll take that shuttle time to the freaking bank every day of the week. People keep talking about cover, yeah he's going to have to cover, but, 1-2 front seven will come off the field in passing situations. What if Ragland is one of those 1-2? What if Ragland is subbed by another LB in those situations? This is the end of the world? This is the reason you think it's a bad pick?

Have you thought about what he brings to the team in terms of run defense? Have you watched him sift through blockers to make tackles for loss numerous times? Don't you think we needed that kind of player last season? Did you think "damn, wish we had Spikes!" at any time during the 2015 season? Have you watched how he is typically exploding at the point of contact; whether it's in pass defense, the running game or rushing the passer? Don't you think that this team needs someone who brings bad intentions onto the football field (but is community minded off the field)?

I'm sorry, but to those of you saying we got a 2 down LB & that's the crux of your disagreement with the pick; I say you're being lazy.

Spoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

I don't think our run defense was an issue needing addressing, which I think is why many folks lament Rag's coverage ability. This team was eaten up by short routes that targeted our LB's and safeties and IMO, Ragland doesn't really address that.

I don't think our run defense was an issue needing addressing, which I think is why many folks lament Rag's coverage ability. This team was eaten up by short routes that targeted our LB's and safeties and IMO, Ragland doesn't really address that.

Run defense, especially up the middle was an issue at times. (search Spikes on the main board) Now we have strength there.

Regarding his coverage ability...I hope you are believing your eyes & not the pundits & other non-believers ( :D ). If you haven't done it already go and watch him a bit. I don't see a liability in coverage. I see a guy that already knows angles, already has a nose for the ball who will benefit greatly from NFL coaching. He is, to me, already ok in coverage and I expect him to get better.

I am fully pregnant in regard to this pick.

Regarding his coverage ability...I hope you are believing your eyes & not the pundits & other non-believers ( :D ). If you haven't done it already go and watch him a bit. I don't see a liability in coverage. I see a guy that already knows angles, already has a nose for the ball who will benefit greatly from NFL coaching. He is, to me, already ok in coverage and I expect him to get better.

You are correct bb. He can cover.

Run defense, especially up the middle was an issue at times. (search Spikes on the main board) Now we have strength there.

Good god, you're bubbling with optimism! Am I in the right place?

What you'd call okay, I'd call mediocre.

I think he will be a solid player, but at a high #2 pick, I'd like a guy with a little bit of a higher ceiling. Unless Rag turns out to be a HoFer, I think his role in this defense is and will always be easily replaceable.

That being said, he wouldn't be the first player to defy the film and come out like an entirely new player (Darby).

What you'd call okay, I'd call mediocre.

I think he will be a solid player, but at a high #2 pick, I'd like a guy with a little bit of a higher ceiling. Unless Rag turns out to be a HoFer, I think his role in this defense is and will always be easily replaceable.

That being said, he wouldn't be the first player to defy the film and come out like an entirely new player (Darby).

at least your expectations aren't too high

Good god, you're bubbling with optimism! Am I in the right place?

I am, by nature, a very optimistic person. I am also a realist. I am fully on board with the picks to this point. Each one serves a purpose and each one got the team better. People are going to quibble because that what people to, but, I think that if you look at this draft, to this point, realistically you can't help but be excited.

I am so excited in fact that I'm beginning to think that even The Brothers Ryan can't !@#$ this up. They players that Whaley, yes, Whaley has assembled give Rex options that he will enjoy using. Hughes? Inside/outside, up/down. S. Lawson? Inside/outside, up/down. Dareus inside/outside. Washington inside/outside. Manny Lawson is suddenly depth! Common man, how can you not be excited by this?

Now, I was, from day one, not a fan of the Rex hire. Nothing that happened in 2015 eased my concerns. He isn't a game manager. He gets caught up in "his" defense and loses sight of the game. He is unwilling, or unable to hold players accountable. This isn't the place, but it's been a while so I'll get back up on my soapbox. Rex needs to hire a Caughlinesque majordomo. He needs someone who will hold players accountable within the bounds that Rex sets. More importantly he needs somebody to manage the game so that he can continue to concentrate of his defense. Señor Pegula I beg you...make this happen. The hire will pay for itself tenfold.

I am, by nature, a very optimistic person. I am also a realist. I am fully on board with the picks to this point. Each one serves a purpose and each one got the team better. People are going to quibble because that what people to, but, I think that if you look at this draft, to this point, realistically you can't help but be excited.

I am so excited in fact that I'm beginning to think that even The Brothers Ryan can't !@#$ this up. They players that Whaley, yes, Whaley has assembled give Rex options that he will enjoy using. Hughes? Inside/outside, up/down. S. Lawson? Inside/outside, up/down. Dareus inside/outside. Washington inside/outside. Manny Lawson is suddenly depth! Common man, how can you not be excited by this?

Now, I was, from day one, not a fan of the Rex hire. Nothing that happened in 2015 eased my concerns. He isn't a game manager. He gets caught up in "his" defense and loses sight of the game. He is unwilling, or unable to hold players accountable. This isn't the place, but it's been a while so I'll get back up on my soapbox. Rex needs to hire a Caughlinesque majordomo. He needs someone who will hold players accountable within the bounds that Rex sets. More importantly he needs somebody to manage the game so that he can continue to concentrate of his defense. Señor Pegula I beg you...make this happen. The hire will pay for itself tenfold.

Perhaps the guy you're looking for will come from within the locker room. If you look back at Rex's comments last year, that's what he really wants -- for the players to hold each other accountable. When an a-hole like Mario doesn't buy in it really, really hurts.

Edit: and maybe Ed Reed brings some of that, too

Edited by eball

Perhaps the guy you're looking for will come from within the locker room. If you look back at Rex's comments last year, that's what he really wants -- for the players to hold each other accountable. When an a-hole like Mario doesn't buy in it really, really hurts.

Edit: and maybe Ed Reed brings some of that, too

Good points, but it doesn't address "the game."

Somebody needs to be considering all of the options when the offense is on the field (do we go for it on 4th?). Somebody needs to be considering ST while offense or defense is on the field (need 15 more yards for a realistic shot at a FG, need to let the quarter run out before we punt so that the wind is in our favor. Challenges...do I need to get into challenges?

Rex needs a game day manager. Think of the bench coach in baseball. Rex needs a bench coach. Señor Pegula I am on my knees begging you.........please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@TyDunne

And in Round 2, the #Bills traded up for a player they liked at 19. Reggie Ragland wants to be Rex's new Ray Lewis: https://t.co/uiQafj3Ocb

To Reggie Ragland, it’s not a criticism, not a slight.

Label him a throwback linebacker. Go ahead and tell him he should've played in a different era.

He loves it.

“It’s a compliment to me because those linebackers back then were very tough, physical guys," Ragland said. "They can call out the defenses and were smart guys, too.”

So why can't Ragland who ran a 4.62 and is bigger do the same?

I think some people get caught up in the can't cover. It doesn't literally mean he will be 8 yards behind a guy tripping over himself. I think it's important to point that out sometimes instead of getting caught in the nosedive of latching onto a scouting report bullet point.

Love this player and this pick. A true leader/warrior type to lead this D for the foreseeable future. Perfect fit. You can really start to see in your mind what a versatile amoeba-like Defense this will become.