Could Dallas Game Be Close to Meaningless?

JDG

Here's some fun with the playoff simulator:

The Bills have two main playoff scenarios (ignoring exotic scenarios like getting a Wild Card at 8-8 (6% chance according to NY Times simulator) or getting in at 9-7 while losing to the Jets (14% chance!).) ​
(A) Bills get in the playoffs at 10-6 by winning the rest of their games, AND any ONE of the following:
(1) Pittsburgh loses to Cincinnati AND Bills win strength of victory tiebreaker
(2) Any TWO Pittsburgh Losses
(3) Any TWO Kansas City Losses

(B) Bills get in the playoffs at 9-7 by going 2-1 vs. the NFC East, beating the NY Jets, AND any THREE of the following:

(1) Any ONE other NY Jets Loss

(2) Any ONE Oakland Loss

(3) Any TWO Pittsburgh Losses

(4) Any THREE Kansas City Losses

So, let's say that over Weeks 14 and 15 the following happens:

(1) Buffalo beats Philly and Washington

(2) Pittsburgh loses to Cincinnati and Denver

(3) Oakland loses at Denver and/or vs. Green Bay

(4) NY Jets lose at Dallas

If those four things all happen, then the necessary conditions for the Bills making the playoffs iin both Scenario A and in Scenario B would be fulfilled. Thus, Buffalo would enter the game against Dallas knowing that win or lose vs. Dallas they could clinch a playoff berth the following week at home against the NY Jets. And in fact, so long as the Jets don't lose both games, the Bills would know that they had no "clinching" scenarios in Week 16 either - i.e., win or lose against Dallas, they would still be "in the hunt" for Week 17.

The game of course wouldn't be really meaningless, because a win vs. Dallas would give the Bills a few tiny "backdoor" scenarios for making the playoffs even with a Jets loss - but it nevertheless could be a game in which there isn't all that much on the line as we normally think of it.
Edited by JDG

The Jets play the Patriots and the Bills in the final two games. They can lose to the Patriots and then the week 17 game at Orchard park could decide our fate. Of course, the Bills have to take care of business this week in Philadelphia first.

Even if KC loses in the next few weeks, their schedule is easy enough for them to grab that WC. The final WC comes to how the Bills, Jets and Steelers play in the upcoming weeks. The Steelers have the hardest schedule, but have an all-pro QB.

Meaningless???

NO WAY!!!

Even IF both teams are out of the race beating the

Cowboys would be a nice feather in the Bills cap.

^

This. Thank you CGF. If they're keeping score, it's an important game. Maroon's squad would have been 8-8 except for a meaningless game at Gillette*. Yet it's bandied about here as a semi-glorious feat. :wallbash:

In looking at the scenarios and the schedules I've pretty much conceded 1 wild card spot to the Chiefs. I see the competition for the final spot between the Bills, Steelers, and Jets as the most likely outcome. The Steelers have the Bengals and Broncos left on their schedule. If they win both of those frankly they deserve the playoff spot.

The Bills just need to win out. For all purposes its playoff time now. Lose and they're out. But none of the 4 games left are against an 'elite' QB which has pretty much been an automatic loss with this crew. Rex generally doesn't let an average QB beat his defense. That means the games should be decided by how well the Bills offense executes and protects the football.

I just don't see them losing to Dallas based on the performance of their offense I've watched without Romo. Just dreadful. The defense is good. I wasn't all that impressed with the Redskins on Monday night either. I haven't watched much of them and expected better based on the pre-game build up. The Eagles game is a toss up at this point and their victory over New England was due to some rare mistakes by the Patriots rather than stellar play from the Eagles. They got lucky.

It might boil down to week 17 and a winner take all battle with the Jets for the final spot. A game between two teams that have brutally disappointed their fan base in the past when the chips are on the line.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

The Bills need to win every game to stand a chance. And even then they won't make it if Pitt doesn't lose 1 or 2 games.

The microsecond they think they don't need a win the season is over for sure. For all intents and purposes they are in the playoffs now. 1 loss = watching the playoffs from their couches.

The games are @ Cincy and Denver plays @ Pittsburgh with Osweiler

Edited by NOVABillsFan

To he honest, there are 2 or 3 other losses one can point to for the reason as well.

Most recently KC (like the Raiders last season). We can point to the Giants game in Buffalo as the Giants have lost what 3 or 4 games with a 10 point lead late in the game. We can even point to the last game against NE where Leodis McFumbles again gave the game away.

Yes, losing early has an impact but just look at KC, Indy, Houston. All of them have had bad starts and are playing strong. IMO losing late in the season can be devastating.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

I think that we are going to find that the Jacksonville game was full of meaning. :censored:

I keep reading this all over this forum. Of course it was, every loss is. The Jacksonville game shouldn't be viewed as a game that we should have won. EJ was the starting QB and Sammy was out. Looking back at it, we really shouldn't have expected any different. Plus mathematically speaking the KC loss was far more damaging. We are one game behind them with a loss to them. Add the fact they have an easy schedule coming up, and that loss affected us more. Had we beat Jacksonville and still lose to KC we would be in a 7-5 tie with them. Considering KC's easy schedule there is a high probability we lose out to them. Beat KC and we hold the tie breaker while controlling our own destiny. The Jacksonville loss was embarrassing, but the KC loss was more damaging imo. We were rolling heading into halftime. Then we decided to stop throwing to Sammy, and Rex's defense made Alex Smith look like Montana. We really shouldn't have lost that game. I'm not saying it isn't fair to be frustrated with the Jacksonville game. Personally I'm just more frustrated with the KC debacle. I don't expect any wins with EJ on the field. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Here's some fun with the playoff simulator:

The Bills have two main playoff scenarios (ignoring exotic scenarios like getting a Wild Card at 8-8 (6% chance according to NY Times simulator) or getting in at 9-7 while losing to the Jets (14% chance!).) ​
(A) Bills get in the playoffs at 10-6 by winning the rest of their games, AND any ONE of the following:
(1) Pittsburgh loses to Cincinnati AND Bills win strength of victory tiebreaker
(2) Any TWO Pittsburgh Losses
(3) Any TWO Kansas City Losses

(B) Bills get in the playoffs at 9-7 by going 2-1 vs. the NFC East, beating the NY Jets, AND any THREE of the following:

(1) Any ONE other NY Jets Loss

(2) Any ONE Oakland Loss

(3) Any TWO Pittsburgh Losses

(4) Any THREE Kansas City Losses

So, let's say that over Weeks 14 and 15 the following happens:

(1) Buffalo beats Philly and Washington

(3) Oakland loses at Denver and/or vs. Green Bay

(4) NY Jets lose at Dallas

If those four things all happen, then the necessary conditions for the Bills making the playoffs iin both Scenario A and in Scenario B would be fulfilled. Thus, Buffalo would enter the game against Dallas knowing that win or lose vs. Dallas they could clinch a playoff berth the following week at home against the NY Jets. And in fact, so long as the Jets don't lose both games, the Bills would know that they had no "clinching" scenarios in Week 16 either - i.e., win or lose against Dallas, they would still be "in the hunt" for Week 17.

The game of course wouldn't be really meaningless, because a win vs. Dallas would give the Bills a few tiny "backdoor" scenarios for making the playoffs even with a Jets loss - but it nevertheless could be a game in which there isn't all that much on the line as we normally think of it.

Exact tie breaking procedures for wildcard teams is as follows (from NFL.com):

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

So my question is if the Steelers beat the Bengals this weekend, doesn's that kill us in tie breaker rule #4. Are common opponents with the Steelers are Patriots, Bengals, Colts and Chiefs. We would be 1-4 in those games, Steelers would be 2-3 if they beat the Bengals.

I'm slowly realizing that the Steelers must lose to the Bengals.

Also as a follow up this is currently where all teams strength of victory stands:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff

Steelers remaining games (@CIN 10-2, DEN 10-2, @BAL 4-8, @CLE 2-10)

Bills remaining games (@PHI 5-7, @WAS 5-7, DAL 4-8, NYJ 7-5)

Bills currently have a .444 strength of victory %, Steelers currently have a .405 strength of victory %.

Assuming the Bills win out, all Bills fans should be rooting for our remaining opponents to win th games they're not playing us......and for the Steelers remaining opponents to lose the games that they're not playing the Steelers.

Remember if Steelers beat Bengals this weekend, they must lose 2 of their last 3 games for Bills to beat them in tie breaking scenarios (extremely unlikely). I have little confidence in Matt Schaub or Johnny Manziel beating the Steelers.

I think that we are going to find that the Jacksonville game was full of meaning. :censored:

As of now it didn't have much more meaning than any of the others. Certainly less than KC. Why dwell on JAX game? They had to start their backup QB and he had a supreme meltdown. And no WRs. The lost opportunities were games that Tyrod started and they were relatively healthy. You have to win those, and if they don't make the playoffs it will be due to the starters not getting it done. Not a game where they fielded a taxi squad.

Also as a follow up this is currently where all teams strength of victory stands:

Bills currently have a .444 strength of victory %, Steelers currently have a .405 strength of victory %.

Assuming the Bills win out, all Bills fans should be rooting for our remaining opponents to win th games they're not playing us......and for the Steelers remaining opponents to lose the games that they're not playing the Steelers.

Remember if Steelers beat Bengals this weekend, they must lose 2 of their last 3 games for Bills to beat them in tie breaking scenarios (extremely unlikely). I have little confidence in Matt Schaub or Johnny Manziel beating the Steelers.

One way this won't happen is the NFCLeast play each other on the last game. 2 of them will win that day.

Exact tie breaking procedures for wildcard teams is as follows (from NFL.com):

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

So my question is if the Steelers beat the Bengals this weekend, doesn's that kill us in tie breaker rule #4. Are common opponents with the Steelers are Patriots, Bengals, Colts and Chiefs. We would be 1-4 in those games, Steelers would be 2-3 if they beat the Bengals.

I'm slowly realizing that the Steelers must lose to the Bengals.

In answer to your question, if the Bills and Steelers tie with a 9-7 record, that will most likely be because the Bills beat the Jets and lost to the Eagles, Redskins, or Cowboys. That would mean that the Bills would beat the Steelers on Tiebreaker #3 by virtue of having 7 conference wins to the Steelers' conference wins.

If the Bills and Steelers tie at 10-6 - it would be exactly as you describe if the Steelers beat the Bengals, the Steelers beat us on tiebreaker #4. On the other hand, if the Bills and Steelers tie at 10-6, with a Steelers loss to the Bengals, then it goes to tiebreaker #5.

But yes, the Bills really need the Bengals to beat the Steelers. To put it in perspective, right now the NY Times Playoff simulator gives the Bills a 23% chance of making the playoffs. Those odds go up to 46% with a Bills victory over the Eagles and a Bengals victory over the Steelers. However, those odds go down to just 17% if a Bills win over the Eagles is paired with a Steelers win over the Bengals.

JDG

I take it the Ravens don't need the band now that the team sucks?

Hah! You have a very good memory!

In all credit to the Ravens band - that organization has actually been in continuous operation since the days of the Baltimore Colts. If they can operate for more than decade without even a football team - they'll definitely survive a few bad seasons.

Strength of victory tiebreaker only kicks in if the Bills win out and the Steelers lose to the Bengals and then win out.

So its likely a moot point. However, if the strength of victory tiebreaker comes in to play, Bills fans should root for the Browns to lose (since Steelers would likely have swept them), as well as for the Chargers to lose (except for maybe each of their games against KC), and also root against the Cardinals (darn it Vikings!).

Bills fans should root for the Texans, Titans, and Dolphins to beat the Patriots and for the same three teams to beat the Colts.

Everything else is a bit murkier in terms of playoff implications.

JDG

I keep reading this all over this forum. Of course it was, every loss is. The Jacksonville game shouldn't be viewed as a game that we should have won. EJ was the starting QB and Sammy was out. Looking back at it, we really shouldn't have expected any different. Plus mathematically speaking the KC loss was far more damaging. We are one game behind them with a loss to them. Add the fact they have an easy schedule coming up, and that loss affected us more. Had we beat Jacksonville and still lose to KC we would be in a 7-5 tie with them. Considering KC's easy schedule there is a high probability we lose out to them. Beat KC and we hold the tie breaker while controlling our own destiny. The Jacksonville loss was embarrassing, but the KC loss was more damaging imo. We were rolling heading into halftime. Then we decided to stop throwing to Sammy, and Rex's defense made Alex Smith look like Montana. We really shouldn't have lost that game. I'm not saying it isn't fair to be frustrated with the Jacksonville game. Personally I'm just more frustrated with the KC debacle. I don't expect any wins with EJ on the field.

My complaint is that they needed 1 stop from the defense to win that game. 1 stop. EJ or not. The D had jax controlled the whole second half but could not stop them to win the game. That is an awful loss.

Winning the next 2 and then losing to Matt Cassel and the Cowboys at home sounds about right.

2014 Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr couldn't agree more.

For crying out loud you can almost smell it...joy and jubilation; we control our own destiny - then whoops.

+2 for BBFS!