Mario Williams a Buffalo Bill next year?

r henderson

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No chance Mario is on the Bills roster next year.

Restructuring makes little sense because it would likely cost the Bills additional dead money down the road,. If you straight up cut him, the dead money next year isn't a deal breaker.

His production isn't even close to his pay. This is actually one of the easier calls Whaley has this offseason.

If the Bills are going to stick w/ Rex, their best course of action would be to reinvest the cap dollars they save on defense (by cutting Mario) on the offense. The thinking being, you paid big bucks for a defensive minded HC, so let him earn those dollars by scheming up a solid defense with some lower paid guys. Spend more $$$'s on the offense to bring in more talent, where our HC has usually struggled. I don't love that idea, but it's the best one I can think of given the current makeup of our coaching staff.

Just wish we could have a mulligan and have Hue Jackson as our HC. I really, really like that guy and think he's going to be a solid HC. Take a look at the roster he had when he was w/ the Raiders and you'll understand what an impressive job he did getting 8 wins out of that team.

Edited by Estro

I agree. They will work out a restructure to keep him here. I think he genuinely likes being here.

it will need to be a dramatic restructure, including much lower numbers, or he will be released. My bet is he is released. He's not a good fit for these 3 down, pressure based, disguised blitz schemes. Never was. He's a straight 4-3 DE. Period. What Rex does has more to do with the scheme than the individual talents of the players in it. HIs defense is like Gailey's offense. It's all a about making the right call relative to what the offense or defense is doing , not in having the best physical talent on the field. That's why Gailey and Rex's team fail once lots of injuries happen. the communication on the field falls apart and If the wrong call is made, they're dead regardless of what level of talent is on the field.. its a thinking man's approach, which drives fans crazy because they want action, sacks, big hits, etc. and Rex's defenses don't give you that. Quick, incomplete passes is what Rex is looking for, which is stressful and boring at the same time , from a fans perspective. A versatile chess piece guy like Alex Carrington is a better fit for Rex the puppeteer than a freak of nature impact athlete like Mario. Just my opinion. It'll all shake out over the next couple seasons as the roster turns over.

No chance Mario is on the Bills roster next year.

Restructuring makes little sense because it would likely cost the Bills additional dead money down the road,. If you straight up cut him, the dead money next year isn't a deal breaker.

His production isn't even close to his pay. This is actually one of the easier calls Whaley has this offseason.

If the Bills are going to stick w/ Rex, their best course of action would be to reinvest the cap dollars they save on defense (by cutting Mario) on the offense. The thinking being, you paid big bucks for a defensive minded HC, so let him earn those dollars by scheming up a solid defense with some lower paid guys. Spend more $$$'s on the offense to bring in more talent, where our HC has usually struggled. I don't love that idea, but it's the best one I can think of given the current makeup of our coaching staff.

Just wish we could have a mulligan and have Hue Jackson as our HC. I really, really like that guy and think he's going to be a solid HC. Take a look at the roster he had when he was w/ the Raiders and you'll understand what an impressive job he did getting 8 wins out of that team.

totally agree on Mario. cannot imagine he is back. no fit anymore, his overpaid signing goes back to the days when no FAs wold come here bc the place was so f 'd up.

Mario Williams was very effective when he has a decent DC and defensive scheme.

you cant expect your most influential pass rusher to do his job when the scheme is forcing him to drop into coverage.

how is this on Mario? last season vs this season. ONE important element has changed, and it isn't Mario.

Rex's approach and scheme are bad, not Mario.

Edited by 87168

Drop Mario. Sign Stafford. You know, a QB who can get it to one of the best WR's in the game. Draft a DE. Mario's production is equal to that of a rookie DE at this point.

Mario Williams was very effective when he has a decent DC and defensive scheme.

you cant expect your most influential pass rusher to do his job when the scheme is forcing him to drop into coverage.

how is this on Mario? last season vs this season. ONE important element has changed, and it isn't Mario.

Rex's approach and scheme are bad, not Mario.

this is also a good point. But the question is: if we keep Rex, what do we do. In that case, cut Mario.

Personally I think the best move is to can Rex, and get Hue Jackson in here with Schwartz. Because retooling all the players to fit Rex's "scheme," whatever that is, will take longer and cost more than canning Rex.

Edited by RyanC883

I suspect that Mario will be a cap casualty. Maybe this offseason, maybe next. Restructuring his contact in the usual way makes very little sense. Restructuring is generally something a team does to free up cap space in the near-term at the expense of future year cap hits. Converting salary into a signing bonus and extending the contract, for example. That usually makes it more difficult to cut such a player for a few years however. It makes very little sense to do that on the contract of a player whose play is falling off and who isn't living up to his current cap hit. Restructuring can also mean a pay cut, but I don't see Mario accepting that. I'm sure he'd rather be cut and possibly overpaid somewhere else.

Gilmore is a prime candidate for a new contract. Next season is his option year so the Bills can lower his hit for next season by giving him a new, long-term deal. That also prevents any free agency or tag issues next season.

Edited by BarleyNY

I will say this....if Rex truly did drop what we were doing last year and go to a 3-4....

Marcel is not a nose.....he is a DE in a 3-4 scheme (and frankly could be a very good one

We need a NOSE TACKLE....one was actually picked up this week...I am interested in seeing how much he plays

I still think Mario can play DE in a 3-4

It takes time to transition.....and we truly dont have the LB's for it

Which is part of the problem....

I know we all long for the days of watching IK try to stop the run and set the edge.

Maybe Kelsay can come out of retirment and try to cover TE's

Be careful what you wish for....

No wishing here. Just trying to be realistic about the situation. Obviously losing Mario would leave a very big hole to fill. I don't think doubling down on him at this point in his career is the answer though. He may very well be on the team next season, but I think a new contract would be a mistake.

Drop Mario. Sign Stafford. You know, a QB who can get it to one of the best WR's in the game. Draft a DE. Mario's production is equal to that of a rookie DE at this point.

this is also a good point. But the question is: if we keep Rex, what do we do. In that case, cut Mario.

Personally I think the best move is to can Rex, and get Hue Jackson in here with Schwartz. Because retooling all the players to fit Rex's "scheme," whatever that is, will take longer and cost more than canning Rex.

Yep!

It sounds like he doesn't like playing for Rex or maybe it's Thurman. Why would he restructure and stay unless maybe Pettine is fired and decides to reunite with Rex. Rex hasn't has a good D since Pettine left his staff so maybe it would make sense. I doubt it happens but one can hope. This is the least hopefull I've been in the future of this franchise since the Dick Jauron days. We are literally going to blow up our D because the coaches only know how to do it their way. So stupid. The good coaches fit the scheme to the players.

Hope we can restructure him. If he becomes a FA, a lot of teams may not be willing to pay him the big bucks because of age, injury, and decreased production concerns. So perhaps he'll agree to stay put and free up some money under the cap.