Do the Bills still go QB in round 1?

Given how Tyrod is playing, do we still feel that the Bills needs to draft a QB with their round 1 pick in the next draft?

CBF

Draft one that has potential at some point for sure, and trade for another. Like a Bryce Petty or something.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone thought Shanahan was crazy to trade up for RG3, and then take Cousins in the 4th. Now Cousins is the starter, and RG3 has sone his last days as a starter.

I don't care if TT plays lights out the next 6 games, I still would take a QB in the 1st if he has a high grade, and a project the next year. We are a pretty talented team in most positions except for QB and possibly Safety and LB. It's always good to take a sound OL as well. Incognito will only help us for a couple of years.

With our classic 6-10 7-9 8-8 records any QB with a first round grade will be long gone. We could always stumble across a HOFer in the sixth round. Wait that already happened but not for us. We still have the 1961 AFL banner to waive.

It would be great if they could draft a QB. I don't need it to be in the first, but hopefully not lower than the fourth. Taylor's at least good enough that we can afford to have him ride the bench for a long time and just see where we are at. It sure seems like we need a back up after EJ's last start and spending a decent pick to get one seems like a smart move.

While I love what Taylor can do against a bad team. I'm getting really sick of watching how poorly he plays against good defenses. Yesterdays game is a good example that he didn't even try to target Watkins enough until later in the game. He had great difficulty in running a two min drill at the end of the game, and he rarely throws over the middle.

Such a slight build he will always be gutting hurt or playing hurt, and he is showing he isn't a very good pure pocket passer.

Time to draft a QB with that first pick, and even trade up to get one of the top three. JMO

This. For me it's Cook or Hackenberg. Our backup should be Licata.

Hackenberg wont come out as he has miles to go before he becomes a 1st rounder, Licata? your just being a homer.

If we can get Cook we should

I just posted this in the Tyrod injury thread but its more appropriate here.

If we draft a QB, the question becomes "what about Tyrod"?

Lets say you trade up to get a QB.

Your starter next year is most likely Taylor to let the rookie learn behind a vet.

What if Taylor has a good year and leads the Bills to the playoffs? Taylor will want a big contract. Do you sign him and leave the drafted QB on the bench (or trade him)? Do you just let Taylor walk after ending a 16yr playoff drought? That's the problem with taking a QB high.

I would suggest taking a guy in Rd2 or 3 as insurance for Taylor. If Taylor sucks next year and the drafted QB doesn't impress, then go all out for QB in 2017 draft. If Taylor is good, re-sign him and no need to pursue a QB in 2017.

you are thinking too hard, if franchise QB is available you take em, period. Deal with the rest as it comes

We don't necessarily need to draft a QB.

RG III and Kap will be available for next season. I know a number of posters here are/were enamored of the two read option fad QBs. =)

don't forget Johnny

Connor Cook is gonna slide right to us.

I get the same feeling, his injury could really work toward are benefit

Only if Chad Kelly declares!!

Kelly would be cool but he needs another yr of improving

EJ has nothing to do with this discussion.

On TBD EJ has something to do with EVERY discussion

This. For me it's Cook or Hackenberg. Our backup should be Licata.

Why Licata?

there are a number of guys coming out this year and I watch a ton of CFB but am in no way qualified to scout them as NFL prospects, nor should I. So I say if the team has a guy as a 1st rd grade and like him they should take him.

Whats wrong with giving your observation.

Who do you like

That guy is an ass.

My concern as well. He seems pretty good. But i have heard stories that he can turn into Patrick Kane. And thats a major detriment. I dont care about rep but i care about legal issues

if Tyrod Taylor gets injured the season is over.

if any other player on the team gets injured, we don't miss a beat.

why isn't the backup QB position valued more ?

I say we definitely need to draft a qb with our first or second round pick.

It is being addressed. Because we are trying to move Tyrod there

Hackenberg wont come out as he has miles to go before he becomes a 1st rounder, Licata? your just being a homer.

If we can get Cook we should

you are thinking too hard, if franchise QB is available you take em, period. Deal with the rest as it comes

don't forget Johnny

I get the same feeling, his injury could really work toward are benefit

Kelly would be cool but he needs another yr of improving

Licata is so meh its not even funny

What happened to Cook!!!

I think our roster is strong enough to go BPA at every pick in 2016. Though I'd like to see us pick up a stud DT and DE in the process (tall order).

I sure wish we would have been able to get Danny Shelton last year. Or Aaron Donald on this team. Im gonna get flamed but i feel like if we had Donald Dareus would not be worth the contract he got.

I'm fine with the Dareus contract, remember our cap will be ever increasing. I'm just worried about the effectiveness of Mario and Kyle over the next couple of years.

I have a feeling one of those guys is not here next year.

Also, yes on QB in the first.

Hopefully Paxton Lynch declares.

I see our biggest needs as OL (Henderson needs upgraded, maybe Wood too), big physical WR (we have a bunch of smurfs), DE/DT (long term Mario/Kyle replacement)

I'd like to sign Kaep (knows the Roman system, fits Tyrod's style) and draft a guy like Prescott / Brissett / Boykin in the 4th-5th round (aka a project who can move around similar to Tyrod-Kaep).

I see our biggest needs as OL (Henderson needs upgraded, maybe Wood too), big physical WR (we have a bunch of smurfs), DE/DT (long term Mario/Kyle replacement)

I'd like to sign Kaep (knows the Roman system, fits Tyrod's style) and draft a guy like Prescott / Brissett / Boykin in the 4th-5th round (aka a project who can move around similar to Tyrod-Kaep).

These rarely, if ever work.

If you are going to take a QB, take one that has a chance at making a difference,

Yeah, go QB in the first regardless of quality. Makes total sense. Even EJ Manual and JP Losman agree that desperate times call for desperate measures and over-drafting a player based on need is the best approach. If the player is legitimately a first round talent and drops to you, that's one thing. But picking one for the sake of picking one is flat out moronic. I keep harping on the supply and demand problem because it's clear that the supply of franchise QBs is, eayr after year, well below demand. Would you have $60,000 for a Ford Focus because you want a BMW?

Here's you list of first round QBs the 5 years prior to the current (we certainly can't judge Mariota and Winston on 10 games, see: Griffin, Robert).. See a lot of success in the "gotta take a QB in the first" approach, in particular not at #1? Some of these guys I don't think are in the league anymore. Locker isn't and the Titans passed on JJ Watt to take him. It's a fool errand to pick one in the first just out of need. The probability of a total failure is high. In fact, there are only two guys on this list I'd be comfortable with right now... Luck and Newton. The second tier might be Tannehill and Bridgewater, not exactly great options.

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Edited by zonabb

Yeah, go QB in the first regardless of quality. Makes total sense. Even EJ Manual and JP Losman agree that desperate times call for desperate measures and over-drafting a player based on need is the best approach. If the player is legitimately a first round talent and drops to you, that's one thing. But picking one for the sake of picking one is flat out moronic. I keep harping on the supply and demand problem because it's clear that the supply of franchise QBs is, eayr after year, well below demand. Would you have $60,000 for a Ford Focus because you want a BMW?

Here's you list of first round QBs the 5 years prior to the current (we certainly can't judge Mariota and Winston on 10 games, see: Griffin, Robert).. See a lot of success in the "gotta take a QB in the first" approach, in particular not at #1? Some of these guys I don't think are in the league anymore. Locker isn't and the Titans passed on JJ Watt to take him. It's a fool errand to pick one in the first just out of need. The probability of a total failure is high. In fact, there are only two guys on this list I'd be comfortable with right now... Luck and Newton. The second tier might be Tannehill and Bridgewater, not exactly great options.

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow

So we should just not draft one and do what we have been doing?

That has worked so well.

And just because EJ did not work, does not mean the next guy wont.

Next you'll tell me we cant draft any Qb's from USC, LSU or ND cause those guys never work out

We should also draft whoever is playing QB from Michigan or Tennessee

These rarely, if ever work.

If you are going to take a QB, take one that has a chance at making a difference,

Too much talent elsewhere in this draft to force a QB pick in the teens. If Cook / Goff / Lynch pass the NFL smell test they'll be gone well before we pick. If they don't, then why are we taking them over superior prospects?

The fanbase has nothing to do with who starts at QB. The argument that we can't draft a QB because the fans are impatient is completely ludicrous.

He wasn't blaming the fanbase. He's saying the fanbase is impatient, which is 100% true. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Too much talent elsewhere in this draft to force a QB pick in the teens. If Cook / Goff / Lynch pass the NFL smell test they'll be gone well before we pick. If they don't, then why are we taking them over superior prospects?

Pass the NFL smell test?

Great QBs have been drafted all over the place. Teams are always getting it wrong. If one of those guys is there when the Bills pick and they have a first-round grade on him, there's nothing wrong with drafting him. Something's wrong with fans who immediately label that a "forced pick."

They're going to set up their board the same way as every other year. There will likely be a number of QBs towards the top. If one of those guys is there when they pick, they'll pull the trigger. Don't just assume they reached for a guy, based on your own opinion.

Bridgewater and Carr made it that far. The theory of the overdrafted QBs is so overstated it's almost a myth. Edited by Rob's House

Bridgewater and Carr made it that far. The theory of the overdrafted QBs is so overstated it's almost a myth.

I think it was true a few years ago.... Gabbert, Locker, Ponder and Weedon were all top 10 (or thereabouts) picks in a period of a couple of years and are now either backups or out of the league. Equally Tannehill (I know he has his fans on this board - I am not one) was probably overdrafted where the Dolphins took him though he has proven to be an adequate starting QB. In the three drafts since then only 3 QBs have gone in the top 10 in 3 years and two of those were Winston and Mariota who I think most people shared the consensus view on that they were deserving of those picks.

Bridgewater slid further than he should (he should have gone middle of the first... there was a team who picked a QB at #22 for example...) and Carr for me was a back end of the first type who slid to the 2nd.

There is simply no hard and fast rule.... sometimes good guys go back of the 1st even though there are QB needy teams before that... other times everyone reaches and anyone worth having goes early.... sometimes a stud slips to the 3rd like Wilson.... it is just too up and down to generalise.