Should the Bills extend Robert Woods?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is an above average starting left tackle less of a priority for most of you than a middling #2/3 receiver? I happen to like Woods but there are a hell of a lot more Robert Woods on this planet than there are Cordy Glenns. Is Robert Woods decidedly better than Chris Hogan? I guess this speaks to the ongoing TBD narrative that the OL always sucks. It doesn't. It's average and Cordy Glenn is above average.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. Woods is a good WR that's worth keeping at a reasonable price, but I don't see him as a game breaking talent. And certainly not as valuable as Glenn, even if Glenn's value has dropped a bit.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. Woods is a good WR that's worth keeping at a reasonable price, but I don't see him as a game breaking talent. And certainly not as valuable as Glenn, even if Glenn's value has dropped a bit.

That's fair. I'm probably the biggest Woods fan on this board and even I wouldn't want to overpay for him.

why roll the dice and replace him at all though? He was drafted in the 2nd round by this team. He's not a guy who is going to demand a big contract, so extend him now before he hits the market. You already know what he can do. Why sign a FA from another team to replace him when you can keep a guy already here? I'm just curious as I think drafting and developing talent is the way to build a team. I'd obviously still add one in FA or draft, but would hate for it it be a huge "need" here where they need to give a huge contract or use a high pick because they are not re-signing a recent high pick.

Also - not sure how many good FA WRs see this QB situation/offense as attractive. It would not be easy to sign someone even as good as Woods.

I don't disagree with you. The question is going to be price. If we try to lock him up now, I would expect we might pay a premium. I would be against overpaying for him; but am fine if we want to spend FMV.

But this is all academic. Whaley loves the guy and likes to spend money at offensive skill positions, like RB and WR. So I expect we will re-sign him and probably overpay doing it.

I don't disagree with you. The question is going to be price. If we try to lock him up now, I would expect we might pay a premium. I would be against overpaying for him; but am fine if we want to spend FMV.

But this is all academic. Whaley loves the guy and likes to spend money at offensive skill positions, like RB and WR. So I expect we will re-sign him and probably overpay doing it.

i think it's the opposite - you pay a premium if you wait. Identifying players early who you want to keep and extending them before their contract year is usually what teams who have strong roster development do. You end up getting them at a lower price because You believe they are going to continue to just get better and perform more highly, causing their value to go up. Similar to what the Bills did with Robey. Certainly, Woods isn't a finished product at such a young age. WRs often don't hit their prime until around 25. It takes a few years, usually.

One thing to keep in mind is they have switched systems since he was drafted and that can screw with draft pick development. I still think he is a good fit, though, because Roman needs his WRs to block well.

Edited by YoloinOhio

We dont know what his contract demands will be......he hasnt put up number 1 WR stats

It will be interesting to see how Woods production goes now that Percy is out and Sammy back.......

Gilmore (a cornerstone of the D)

Glenn (as a mid tier OT contract - if his agent thinks he's getting elite LT money elsewhere let him go, he isn't in that category)

Woods (still only 22, solid contributor, durable, has shown strong WR ability despite questionable QBs throwing to him)

Bradham (can be replaced in draft)

I agree with your assessment .almost to a T

Glenn has been a foundation of the line. laugh at the criticisms. Sure he has had bad days. he is pretty steady over the years. known commodity, i suppose.

Woods, yes. This is a team that is going to keep improving on Offense over the this year and as long as Roman is calling the cards. Definitely start working the agent.

Bradham. not sure yet, honestly.

I'm not totally sold - he's a good #2 but those guys are somewhat replaceable. Runs good routes and is a very able blocker, but doesn't get much separation on his own and does absolutely nothing after the catch. Thought we'd be seeing more from him by now.

we have has some minor technical difficulties.

stay tuned.

Hell no. Except for the Jets game last year, he has stunk. Disappointing, just disappointing

Hmmm..... humor perhaps?

Gilmore (a cornerstone of the D)

Glenn (as a mid tier OT contract - if his agent thinks he's getting elite LT money elsewhere let him go, he isn't in that category)

Woods (still only 22, solid contributor, durable, has shown strong WR ability despite questionable QBs throwing to him)

Bradham (can be replaced in draft)

Don't forget Incognito. He is a FA after the season and needs to be a priority assuming a reasonable contract.

Extending Gilmore would make a lot of sense and free up some cap space for next season.

Glenn shouldn't break the bank and would be nice to retain, but I expect him to hit free agency. Once that happens he's likely gone as some LT needy team will overpay. The Bills probably missed their opportunity with him.

Woods would be nice to extend as well. He's not a top talent but he keeps his mouth shut, works hard and (typically) can be counted on to give maximum effort and know his assignment. He's a WR you can start if you need to, but is best as a rotational guy. Teams need guys like him on the roster. If he's willing to take a contract commensurate with that, then sign him to it.

Bradham is almost certainly gone. He hasn't excelled in Ryan's scheme and cap space will be tight. Some team will give him a chance and a decent payday based on last year's performance.

It depends on the cost. 3 year contract 10 million. 1 million dollar signing bonus. 5 mill guaranteed and I'm in.

Without looking it up. I thought that is just a tad more than Easley got on his extension. And he just scored his first NFL TD in what year 5? I think he is around 2.5M a year.For what?

i don't think your numbers get it done. But maybe not too far off?

Not every player on the team can be, or even needs to be, a pro bowl caliber superstar. You need good, consistent, dependable role players. Woods is exactly that. Letting him walk, just means you have to find a consistent and dependable WR to fill the void. It's the definition of treading water. You don't break the bank to keep him, but you also don't let him walk if you can help it.

We need this coaching staff and players to play together and get better. We started the season with Taylor throwing to Watkins, Harvin and Woods. If Woods walks, our QB only has one of those guys returning next year. That's not how you build consistency and confidence in an offensive system.

So, yeah, sign the guy and keep moving forward.

good post! Let the players develop as a team for a period of time.

Don't forget Incognito. He is a FA after the season and needs to be a priority assuming a reasonable contract.

Extending Gilmore would make a lot of sense and free up some cap space for next season.

Glenn shouldn't break the bank and would be nice to retain, but I expect him to hit free agency. Once that happens he's likely gone as some LT needy team will overpay. The Bills probably missed their opportunity with him.

Woods would be nice to extend as well. He's not a top talent but he keeps his mouth shut, works hard and (typically) can be counted on to give maximum effort and know his assignment. He's a WR you can start if you need to, but is best as a rotational guy. Teams need guys like him on the roster. If he's willing to take a contract commensurate with that, then sign him to it.

Bradham is almost certainly gone. He hasn't excelled in Ryan's scheme and cap space will be tight. Some team will give him a chance and a decent payday based on last year's performance.

I think Glenn will over value himself. Those who call him better than average. Are close to being wrong. he is serviceable, and will want more than the Bills will pay. Another smart LT pick can cover his loss.

IMO

why roll the dice and replace him at all though? He was drafted in the 2nd round by this team. He's not a guy who is going to demand a big contract, so extend him now before he hits the market. You already know what he can do. Why sign a FA from another team to replace him when you can keep a guy already here? I'm just curious as I think drafting and developing talent is the way to build a team. I'd obviously still add one in FA or draft, but would hate for it it be a huge "need" here where they need to give a huge contract or use a high pick because they are not re-signing a recent high pick.

Also - not sure how many good FA WRs see this QB situation/offense as attractive. It would not be easy to sign someone even as good as Woods.

and to the QB point, wouldn't it be wise to keep some player consistency at WR for the first year QB? Timing and nuances and all that?

re up Woods asap

Yes. He can produce, should be thrown to more, and is a good blocker.

This.

But this is all academic. Whaley loves the guy and likes to spend money at offensive skill positions, like RB and WR. So I expect we will re-sign him and probably overpay doing

I think Glenn will over value himself. Those who call him better than average. Are close to being wrong. he is serviceable, and will want more than the Bills will pay. Another smart LT pick can cover his loss.

IMO

not sure you want to give him away though.

If he does decide to test the waters, i think he gets paid. prefer to retain him. and i do think he is better than average for sure. I think he is quite good. Had some drop offs but overall with the Bills? i would like to try to keep him. as I would Woods.

But this is all academic. Whaley loves the guy and likes to spend money at offensive skill positions, like RB and WR. So I expect we will re-sign him and probably overpay doing

IMO

not sure you want to give him away though.

If he does decide to test the waters, i think he gets paid. prefer to retain him. and i do think he is better than average for sure. I think he is quite good. Had some drop offs but overall with the Bills? i would like to try to keep him. as I would Woods.

I agree but as we know decent LT's are tough to come by. I think he would want more than he's worth. He is decent. Not great. But in the end both Glenn and Woods are 2 Buffalo drafted players that should stay. I really like Woods, he of all players gets less credit than he deserves. Also Add resigning Gilmore to the list. His contract won't be chump change. next offseason will have some shocking roster moves too pull all this off. Espcially, if Tyrod hits his stride soon. better cap management is needed. This is a middle of the road team over paying big at times.

I agree but as we know decent LT's are tough to come by. I think he would want more than he's worth. He is decent. Not great. But in the end both Glenn and Woods are 2 Buffalo drafted players that should stay. I really like Woods, he of all players gets less credit than he deserves. Also Add resigning Gilmore to the list. His contract won't be chump change. next offseason will have some shocking roster moves too pull all this off. Espcially, if Tyrod hits his stride soon. better cap management is needed. This is a middle of the road team over paying big at times.

yes, Whaley ran the bill right to the credit limit.

For me, this is my knock against him.He threw all the cards in. and we are 3-4.

we shall see

if they are keeping the home growns, both Glenn and Woods deserve some lovin'

"Holding...number 10..offense..."

Roger Goodell is reigning in on aggressive behaviour both on and off the field.

depending/

IMO

To me that is the million dollar question

Other teams might view him as a better Right Tackle or LG

why oh why d you all forget how hard it was for us to get an LT?

we got very lucky w Peters, drafting him as a TE, then we had one good year with his fill (carl malones son) who left the next year...and sucked...We got Glenn in the Second, he plays as good as some first rounders taken. Now we are all OK with letting him go?

We already have 2 starting quality CBs, and Gilmore isnt really all that. The guy doesnt turn his head around way more often than darby was accused of, and he gets more PI calls than Picks in a season.

I say keep woods and glenn, Bradam and gilmore can be replaced.

Of course the Bills should resign Woods! Well, unless he's asking a fortune.

For those calling him a "dime a dozen" player, and implying that he's easily expendable... you're either really young, or have a very poor short term memory.

Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, Donald Jones, David Nelson, TJ Graham, James Hardy, Brad Smith yada yada yada, the list goes on and on and on. THOSE guys were easily replaced and were a dime a dozen.

Robert Woods is a baller and has a place on my team any day every day.

We should definitely keep Robert Woods. Let him continue to grow in this offense.

He's a good, not great, receiver. I'm not saying you break the bank for him, but he should remain with us. I would hate to just let him go then have to pin our hopes on another draft pick.

I love Glenn, but if he wants elite money, forget it. His play has leveled out over the past couple of seasons.

Bradham has been invisible for most of the season. This defense may not be the right fit for him.

We should keep Gilmore. He has played very good this year.

IMO

How he values himself matters little. How other teams value him matters a great deal. Let's face it, the reality of the situation is that a team without an average LT would be happy to have him and they'll pay him very well. The other part of that reality is finding a replacement LT should the Bills lose him. Capable or better LTs are usually first round or sometimes early/mid second round picks. Rarely are they found outside of that and even when they are those players don't generally start right away. If the Bills lose Glenn and can't replace him with another capable LT (and I don't see how they do that outside of early in the draft) we are going to see some real problems.

its a no brainer, most consistent productive wr since SJ. and we dont even have to argue for years on end on whether hes a #1 or #2.

Hes a great #2 good attitude, and a better talent than SJ ever was, funny how many people anointed him our best WR ever since Reed.

Name someone who was? Eric Moulds maybe but you cant name another WR we have had that can be mentioned with them

why oh why d you all forget how hard it was for us to get an LT?

we got very lucky w Peters, drafting him as a TE, then we had one good year with his fill (carl malones son) who left the next year...and sucked...We got Glenn in the Second, he plays as good as some first rounders taken. Now we are all OK with letting him go?

We already have 2 starting quality CBs, and Gilmore isnt really all that. The guy doesnt turn his head around way more often than darby was accused of, and he gets more PI calls than Picks in a season.

I say keep woods and glenn, Bradam and gilmore can be replaced.

Damn dude.

How he values himself matters little. How other teams value him matters a great deal. Let's face it, the reality of the situation is that a team without an average LT would be happy to have him and they'll pay him very well. The other part of that reality is finding a replacement LT should the Bills lose him. Capable or better LTs are usually first round or sometimes early/mid second round picks. Rarely are they found outside of that and even when they are those players don't generally start right away. If the Bills lose Glenn and can't replace him with another capable LT (and I don't see how they do that outside of early in the draft) we are going to see some real problems.

I think the replacement LT is on the roster and its Seantrel Henderson.....there is a reason why the bills keep marching him out there

He might actually be a better LT then he is a RT

FA in 2017. Type of player we may want to lock up early. He's been durable and productive as a #2 WR. 2nd round pick, Whaley seems to like him.

Watkins is a superior talent but he's been in and out of the lineup this year. I would like to see Woods extended for some stability in the WR corp.

Woods has that one irreplaceable quantity: Being available. He's shows up and does his thing every game. Yes!

How is an above average starting left tackle less of a priority for most of you than a middling #2/3 receiver? I happen to like Woods but there are a hell of a lot more Robert Woods on this planet than there are Cordy Glenns. Is Robert Woods decidedly better than Chris Hogan? I guess this speaks to the ongoing TBD narrative that the OL always sucks. It doesn't. It's average and Cordy Glenn is above average.

Kind of with this.

I am with you too. Gilmore is priority #1. Then it HAS to be Glenn. If we are keeping Rex I'd have Woods over Bradham because I am not sure Bradham is a great fit for this scheme based on what I see.

However, I think Glenn is the one we most likely lose. The offensive line standard across the league at the moment is putrid (the Bills line is average as against the rest of the league I agree but the standard is woeful) which means that above average players like Glenn get deals way beyond their true value if they hit FA. I fear we won't be able to match. Even if I can match Glenn and keep him, I am looking for a top tier LT prospect in the draft in either the 1st or 2nd round.... then I either switch Glenn out to RT as a bookend or I slide him inside to guard if we haven't managed to keep Richie.

Kind of with this.

The problem I see with Glenn is that even in a contract year, he isn't improving. I am not saying that he isn't a good player, but I don't know if he's worth 12 million or so per season.

Do you think he is worth that kind of money?

He has not been very good at RT. I recognize that playing LT involves different/additional skills as compared to RT, but I also recall that Peters dominated at RT before being moved to LT.

Yes and so btw did Jonas Jennings. :)

IMO

And you know this how? Of course, OLinemen are a dime a dozen. You can easily pick up two or three and plug them right in and bingo! Success. It's simple. The history of The Bills and for that matter, much of the rest of The League shows this... not.

The problem I see with Glenn is that even in a contract year, he isn't improving. I am not saying that he isn't a good player, but I don't know if he's worth 12 million or so per season.

Do you think he is worth that kind of money?

You really think he'll command that kind of $?

I think we need to come to terms that Seantrel might not be the LT that Peters was

By something like an order of magnitude.