Darby named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month!

YoloinOhio

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's time to eat some humble pie. I was really worried when McKelvin got hurt. I didn't think Darby, as a rookie, was up to the task. While I didn't imagine he'd play as bad as he had in preseason, I never thought he look this good.

Ditto.

I flat out thought the guy was going to suck and be a major liability for this defense. So far, he has proven himself to be much better in regular season game scenarios. I hope that continues.

Sooner or later if he keeps playing as well as he has, teams will not only avoid picking on him, they will probably avoid throwing the ball his way.

It's interesting how devalued Darby was by his off the field transgressions and yet Winston was the number one overall pick. I don't recall the discussion around Winston's draft position being based on his character as much as it was comparing him to Mariota. Not to excuse Darby's issues.

It's interesting how devalued Darby was by his off the field transgressions and yet Winston was the number one overall pick. I don't recall the discussion around Winston's draft position being based on his character as much as it was comparing him to Mariota. Not to excuse Darby's issues.

Positional value has a lot to do with it as well.

These days, if a guy shows even a modicum of potential to be a franchise QB, his draft status will improve dramatically.

what were Darby's off the field transgressions?

Not to mention that Winston actually did it and Darby was just there and maybe saw something and didn't want to rat out his friend (not that it was a smart move or the right thing to do but it's very understandable).

That is am awesome stat.

One thing I've noticed he's improved at significantly since preseason is getting his head turned around. That seemed to be his biggest problem. When I watched this past game a second time, it really stood out to me how quickly he was snapping his head around to look for the ball. He could have had three picks this past game. One if Ranbo didn't give him his second head shot and the other on the last jump ball. He was in great position and located the ball well. I hope he keeps it up.

Totally agree with this, it's startling how much this has changed in so short a time.

@TyDunne: CB Ronald Darby is named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month. Not sure if anyone could've predicted that back in August.

@BuffaloBillsPR: #Bills CB Ronald Darby earns September D Rookie of the Month after leading the NFL in passes defensed (8) & tying for the lead in INTs (2).

There you go Darby!!! :thumbsup:

What does it tell you when our corners are the #1 and #3 most targeted in the league? https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/01/10-most-targeted-nfl-cornerbacks/

It tells me that we took a big lead early in Weeks 1 & 3 and our opponents had to throw a lot to try to catch up, and Tom Brady* threw the ball 59 times against us. It also tells me that we are currently on pace to have 837 passes attempted against us this season. The most passes attempted against a team since 2000 is 670, against the 2013 Eagles.

What I like is that it wasn't just a couple of big plays that show up on the stat sheet. He is consistently blanketing his recievers on every play.

It feels like we had a first round pick this year.

FP

Heck yea!

Awesome!! Happy for the kid, he's definitely stepped up to the challenge. I was just hoping he'd fill in admirably until McKelvin returned, now I'm thinking we should keep him in the starting lineup. This kid is a gamer and a ballhawk....

When Leodis returns, we're going to have some depth now.

Tells me we've been way ahead in a couple games and teams have to throw. Brady's gonna toss it up 60 times a game no matter what.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm dying to know how they get those target numbers...when I reviewed the all-22's, I had Gilmore down for 21 targets, and Darby for 24.

EDIT: Sweet November! Look at this only-PFF gem from the opening:

After three weeks the range of targets for starting corners goes from 33 targets for Stephon Gilmore to five targets for Cary Williams, and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would say that Gilmore being targeted 11 times as much as Williams is a statement of how good either corner is.

----------------

So we now know that, according to PFF, 5 x 11 = 33.

No wonder their grading system sucks.

Edited by thebandit27

@TyDunne: CB Ronald Darby is named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month. Not sure if anyone could've predicted that back in August.

@BuffaloBillsPR: #Bills CB Ronald Darby earns September D Rookie of the Month after leading the NFL in passes defensed (8) & tying for the lead in INTs (2).

Weird how a defensive guru was able to use preseason to get him ready, right?

Also, Whaley has done a magnificent job putting this roster together, but we actually have some friggin'real coaches now. I don't think Darby's development would have been this rapid under previous coaching regimes.

Donnie for Prez. A.Lynn for VP

I guess it's time to eat some humble pie. I was really worried when McKelvin got hurt. I didn't think Darby, as a rookie, was up to the task. While I didn't imagine he'd play as bad as he had in preseason, I never thought he look this good.

count me in the same murder of crow eaters. Kid has the makeup mentally

hmmmm. a lot of defensive picks came before darby too. so somewhere along the way he must have learned to turn his head around and play the ball. imagine that, a coachable FSU player. his biggest challenge now is surviving the friendly fire from Rambo, who need to be coached on how to keep his eyes open when he hits. yikes.

Karlos should be the offensive rookie with those freaky stats.

hmmmm. a lot of defensive picks came before darby too. so somewhere along the way he must have learned to turn his head around and play the ball. imagine that, a coachable FSU player. his biggest challenge now is surviving the friendly fire from Rambo, who need to be coached on how to keep his eyes open when he hits. yikes.

Karlos should be the offensive rookie with those freaky stats.

Probably will go to Marriota, Hyde or Cooper

But I agree he really deserves a mention here

CBF

What I like is that it wasn't just a couple of big plays that show up on the stat sheet. He is consistently blanketing his recievers on every play.

It feels like we had a first round pick this year.

FP

And Miller has come in and played solid like a 2nd round pick and Karlos has filled a nice role on the team too.

Probably will go to Marriota, Hyde or Cooper

But I agree he really deserves a mention here

CBF

it was Mariota. Hopefully we keep him from getting it for October though!

Hyde is actually a 2nd year guy. 1st year as #1 RB.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Darby keeping a level head

It’s been a pretty good start to his rookie season. So good that CB Ronald Darby earned NFL Rookie of the Month honors Thursday.

“It’s a blessing,” said Darby of the award recognition. “Each day I just come out and I work. I’ve got great receivers I can work against every day. I learn something new every day from the veterans and the coaches. So I come out every day ready to compete.”

Awesome!! Happy for the kid, he's definitely stepped up to the challenge. I was just hoping he'd fill in admirably until McKelvin returned, now I'm thinking we should keep him in the starting lineup. This kid is a gamer and a ballhawk....

I'm thinking McKelvin just lost his starting spot the way Darby's coming around.

I no longer will question Whaley and team on draft picks.

Pick I did not love at the time:

Preston Brown

Ronald Darby

Karlos Williams

Picks I love now:

Preston Brown

Ronald Darby

Karlos Williams

Whaley is the master he does not deserve second guessing.

Way to go Ronald! Nice draft by Whaley. When Leodis returns, we can do some neat coverages similar to what Green Bay does. Here are GB's base defenses-

• Okie and Eagle (3-4-4)
  • Nickel (2-4-5)
  • Psycho (1-5-5)
  • Dime (2-3-6)
  • Bat (1-4-6)
  • Prevent (1-3-7, 1-2-8)
  • Hippo (4-4-3)

Payback game on MNF in November- imagine having Leodis, Gilmore, Robey, Darby, Williams, Graham, and Rambo on the field at once- manning up on each wideout and sticking with them. The possibilities are endless