A Few Thoughts on Steelers @ Pats***

I hope this is OK not to bury at the end of a long in-game thread which has already degraded to arguments?

1) how can a team have a QB throw 68% completions on 38 attempts for 351 yds, gain 134 yds rushing, dominate the TOP by 4 minutes, and yet look so completely inept on offense?

2) I hope folks will remember this game if we're tempted to rag on our young QB. Roethlisberger is a genuinely good, maybe great, QB, and he misfired a few times tonight. The TD pass where the receiver slid out of bounds as he caught the ball is one example - anyone else notice that he had to drop low to pull it in? The INT was just bad. Good QB make bad plays sometimes.

3) That strip fumble was a thing of beauty. The Pittsburgh D missed such a game-changing opportunity there.

4) Is it true that no one can cover Gronk, or was the PIttsburgh 2ndary just messed up and the announcers ball-washing Gronk and the Patsies***?

Edit: must mention ....5) Best play of the game: safety blitz on Brady. I literally screamed like Fitzy

6) I hate the Pats***. I do so most sincerely hate them.

7) GO BILLS!

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this is OK not to bury at the end of a long in-game thread which has already degraded to arguments?

1) how can a team have a QB throw 68% completions on 38 attempts for 351 yds, gain 134 yds rushing, dominate the TOP by 4 minutes, and yet look so completely inept on offense?

2) I hope folks will remember this game if we're tempted to rag on our young QB. Roethlisberger is a genuinely good, maybe great, QB, and he misfired a few times tonight. The TD pass where the receiver slid out of bounds as he caught the ball is one example - anyone else notice that he had to drop low to pull it in? The INT was just bad. Good QB make bad plays sometimes.

3) That strip fumble was a thing of beauty. The Pittsburgh D missed such a game-changing opportunity there.

4) Is it true that no one can cover Gronk, or was the PIttsburgh 2ndary just messed up and the announcers ball-washing Gronk and the Patsies***?

5) I hate the Pats***. I do so most sincerely hate them.

6) GO BILLS!

Can't believe they didn't fall on that fumble. They just didn't look like they wanted it that bad. Not the Steelers of old.

No one can cover Gronk... man to man. You cannot just man up on him, and they did that repeatedly. Double cover or zone help, Make edelman beat you on the low crossers, but you cannot leave Gronk in man coverage. Steelers missed Dick Lebeau tonight. Rex/Thurman won't make the same mistake.

Yea two poor defences. My takes thinking ahead to next week were:

1. If the Patriots defense gives up the edge in the run game to McCoy as readily as it did to D'Angelo Williams he will go for 200 yards.

2. The Patriots D is back to what it was in the late 00s when Belichick didn't have elite talent on the backend - it is bend don't break defense that stiffens in the red zone. I'd really like to see the Bills keep TT's running under wraps between the 20s and then let him loose in the rezone because a couple of times in goalline situations last night I thought a QB booting out on a keeper would have waltzed in.

3. We have to find a way to stop Gronk. Could we borrow a page for the Belichick playbook when he covered Jimmy Graham with Talib? Maybe bring Gilmore inside and let him match up 1v1 on Gronk? I feel he is wasted covering Edelman or Dobson - Gronk is the big play guy who can beat us. Let Darby run with Edelman and tackle him on short gaining crossers.

4. We have to get to Brady. The Pittsburgh defensive front was bad. The Patriots line is inexperienced. We should be getting pressure with 4 next week with the very occasional blitz thrown in. Mix up the coverages, mix up the looks but do not keep sending 5 guys because he will find the open man if we do.

5. Chandler is going to be a big part of their redzone package. He was hardly in other than down in the redzone last night... covering him and Gronk down there is a challenge for us and the rest of the league.

A. Williams and C. Graham are safeties with decent CB skills. They can run with Gronk. They can match-up with him. Rex will play three safeties and try to confuse Brady with different coverage looks.

The linebackers need to stay with the RB's out of the backfield. Need to stop the run with the three safety nickel package. Dareus' return and the LB's are the key.

We have tried covering him with safeties before without much success. I think Aaron has had a go at it, Searcy tried it and Duke tried it. I think get our best cover man on their best weapon. I know it is a bit outside of the box to move Gilmore off the boundary to come and cover him but he is our best man cover guy and Gronk is the guy who can beat us. If they want to beat us with Edelman, Amendola and Dobson then my response would be - be my guest.

what is sickening to me about that game..... I know preseason doesn't mean much.... but the way the Bills racked up points against them, the loss was not a surprise to those not in love with the Steelers.

Now after the Steelers crappy performance on D Tainted Brady looks like a God. :sick: :sick:

We have tried covering him with safeties before without much success. I think Aaron has had a go at it, Searcy tried it and Duke tried it. I think get our best cover man on their best weapon. I know it is a bit outside of the box to move Gilmore off the boundary to come and cover him but he is our best man cover guy and Gronk is the guy who can beat us. If they want to beat us with Edelman, Amendola and Dobson then my response would be - be my guest.

Graham may be the perfect guy (although I'm not opposed to Gilmore). Graham is a corner playing safety. He didn't move there because he was struggling at corner. He moved there because the team was thin at safety.

Putting Gilmore on Gronk would exactly result in them beating us with Edelman and Amendola. Put a rookie db on Edelman and he'll get eaten alive. Sorry but nothing I saw from Brady last night leads me to believe he's tailing off. He's quick with making decision and knowing where he's going with the ball.

I'm sure the radio thing helped their cause, too.

Graham may be the perfect guy (although I'm not opposed to Gilmore). Graham is a corner playing safety. He didn't move there because he was struggling at corner. He moved there because the team was thin at safety.

This is what I was thinking. Gronkowski is just too hard to single cover. It's like you have to treat him like a WR playing the slot.

Edited by BuffaloWings

The steelers were having their way with the pats until that freaking gimmick play. Drive stalled and they end up missing a fg. Marv always said there is one point during the game where a team shows its true character and that can determine the outcome of the game. I thought right there the steelers lost the game. That type of early screw up can shake a team's confidence.

A couple of thoughts:

1) The Steelers were simply blowing up the right side of the line in the first quarter. If they hadn't had that one dumb play (some sort of running back pass option that was sniffed out in a hurry) they would have been unstoppable. A question to those with a better football mind than me is (a) Was that softness on the left side of the Pats* line because of a rookie, or was it because of a Steelers scheme, and (b) Why in God's name would Tomlin move away from that? Or was it that Belicheck adjusted?

2) I hate the Pats* with every ounce of my being, but that offense IS good (at least against that tissue paper Steelers defense). The Bills are going to have to score each and every time they get down the field. That includes Carpenter. If he sucks as bad as he did in the preseason, there are going to be TWO unemployed kickers in the league.

Edit: must mention ....5) Best play of the game: safety blitz on Brady. I literally screamed like Fitzy

6) I hate the Pats***. I do so most sincerely hate them.

7) GO BILLS!

1. Pittsburgh had plenty of chances, I cannot understand why they took Williams out at the goal line, he was running hard.

2. Then end zone throw was on the receiver, he has to know where the line is, should have been a TD.

3. That could have turned the game around, reminded me of Rory Fitzpatrick looking up for the puck... :wallbash:

4. There were times that no one lined up against Gronk, the new DC better get his act together, poor communication.

5. :thumbsup:

6. :thumbsup:

7. :thumbsup:

8. All those people who said they would rather face Brady than Garoppolo in week 2 are freaking crazy!

Just a few thoughts on Brady & Rothlesberger . Both are really good QB's to start !

But

The reason why every one including me hates the Brady & the Pats is because if you haven't noticed they are REALLY REALLY GOOD !!

Brady no matter what you think of him is one if not the best QB to ever play the game !!

If he was traded to the Bills every one on this & all other sights would instantly love him like they did when we signed Drew Bledsoe & rightfully so because the dude is just a flat out baller .

I for one am glad that he got his suspension over turned because when the Bills beat them next sunday it will be legit !

If he wasn't playing it would be - (add sarcastic voice here) well you didn't beat them with Brady at QB . But Rex & company will show them all just how good we are when they hit the field ...

Go Bills !!!!

1. Pittsburgh had plenty of chances, I cannot understand why they took Williams out at the goal line, he was running hard.

2. Then end zone throw was on the receiver, he has to know where the line is, should have been a TD.

3. That could have turned the game around, reminded me of Rory Fitzpatrick looking up for the puck... :wallbash:

4. There were times that no one lined up against Gronk, the new DC better get his act together, poor communication.

5. :thumbsup:

6. :thumbsup:

7. :thumbsup:

8. All those people who said they would rather face Brady than Garoppolo in week 2 are freaking crazy!

2. I agree that a more aware WR makes that a TD. But it was a challenging throw from Roeth. There were several others - that total circus catch along the sidelines comes to mind. If it were our QB, from what I've seen we would be on their case for poor throws and trying to get the receivers killed. Because it was Roeth, he gets the benefit of the doubt and the media pundits are on the receiver, for bad (missed TD) or for good (incredible catch).

9. What's with that goal line shift that Roeth was so hot about? I hope we're ready for that kind of trickery.

Lots of communication errors (apparently) by the Steelers D. I get it Gronk can make good players look like keystone cops, but ya can't leave him uncovered. I hope that game lulls the Pats into a restful state where we cream the butter out of them last week

Overall, I thought the Pats looked beatable. I hope Sunday nite Rex stays up late game planning.

Rex will not make the mistake the Stillers did...he will jam Edelman at the line and throw off Brady*'s timing, thus allowing the pass rush to get there before those quick throws. If Brady* dumps it to Chandler in the flat we know he'll go down after a 2.5 yard gain. The issue will be limiting Gronk.

And Greg Roman has to be almost drooling at the prospect of what his running game can do against the Pats*** defensive front.

Rex will not make the mistake the Stillers did...he will jam Edelman at the line and throw off Brady*'s timing, thus allowing the pass rush to get there before those quick throws. If Brady* dumps it to Chandler in the flat we know he'll go down after a 2.5 yard gain. The issue will be limiting Gronk.

And Greg Roman has to be almost drooling at the prospect of what his running game can do against the Pats*** defensive front.

their run D really missed Wilfork. Steelers were even playing a backup Center.

Just a few thoughts on Brady & Rothlesberger . Both are really good QB's to start !

But

The reason why every one including me hates the Brady & the Pats is because if you haven't noticed they are REALLY REALLY GOOD !!

Brady no matter what you think of him is one if not the best QB to ever play the game !!

If he was traded to the Bills every one on this & all other sights would instantly love him like they did when we signed Drew Bledsoe & rightfully so because the dude is just a flat out baller .

I for one am glad that he got his suspension over turned because when the Bills beat them next sunday it will be legit !

If he wasn't playing it would be - (add sarcastic voice here) well you didn't beat them with Brady at QB . But Rex & company will show them all just how good we are when they hit the field ...

Go Bills !!!!

Actually, I agree with everything you say about Brady, including the point that after we beat them I don't want an asterisk on the win.

I don't think that's why we hate the Pats*** though. For me, anyway, I hate them because winning isn't enough for them. They have to skirt, bend, and thwart the rules, from the "stadium infrastructure" headset malfunction to that (apparently legal, but designed to mimic an illegal) goalline defense shift. They are arguably good enough to win without that stuff, but they just have to have it. And the league "just gives it to them" historically.

Take Green Bay. Rodgers is amazing, but all I feel watching a Green Bay game (when they're not playing us) is enjoyment of the game. I'd love to see Rodgers in a Bills uni. And the Seattle no-longer-to-be-known-by-me-as-Seasnakes-in-honor-of-Fredex Seahawks, I think they've got a nice bunch of thugs but they play the game like it should be played, hard and physical.

I hate the Pats*** because they make it impossible for me to enjoy watching the game, knowing all the cr** they pull or might pull at any time.

Putting Gilmore on Gronk would exactly result in them beating us with Edelman and Amendola. Put a rookie db on Edelman and he'll get eaten alive. Sorry but nothing I saw from Brady last night leads me to believe he's tailing off. He's quick with making decision and knowing where he's going with the ball.

Nor did I. I just want us to cover their biggest threat with our best coverage DB. And if they beat us with Edelman and Amendola's quick crossers and outs then fair enough. I tell you this though - if we don't stop Gronk we cannot win.

Edited by GunnerBill

Watching the Steelers last night reminded me A LOT of the Jauron-era Bills. No fire, soft defense, bad mistakes, horrible clock management...

I didn't see anything from the Patriots*** that looked "great". Much more of the Steelers shooting themselves in the foot.

Gronk is hard enough to stop when you actually put a guy or two on him. Leaving him completely uncovered, multiple times, is a recipe for a big loss.

The key will be doing whatever it takes to stop Gronk and Edleman, and let them try to beat us with Chandler and Amendola. The ultimate solution is getting to Brady early and often.

Can't wait to face them next week, but Colts first!

Edited by DrDareustein

Graham was always more effective playing zone as a corner though. I like him at safety don't get me wrong. I just worry about him in a 1v1 with Gronk. If we can stop Gronk I think we can beat them.

I've heard a lot of people talking about Pittsburgh being a Super Bow contender. People talk about how great their offense was last year and that they had a pretty good record. However, NOBODY seems to remember the schedule that AFC North teams played last year (AFC and NFC south). Only two of those teams had a winning record (and the only really good team was Indy). That was a ridiculously easy schedule. When all the prognosticators talk about Pittsburgh (and Cinti and Baltimore), they seem to forget how inflated those teams records were last year.

Antwan Blake was bad. Real bad. I get that covering Edelman is a difficult task. But he whiffed on tackles and on Gronks TD on that hurry up play where they forgot to convert him, he literally jogged out to tackle him. The first defender couldn't bring him down, but slowed him. And Blake is just half ass trotting towards him and makes a weak attempt for Gronks legs at the 1. He could've had him out at the 2 or 3 if he actually tried. Rewatch that play and see. Just something I noticed and if he were a Bills player, I'd not want him playing.

The pats have no running game. Our front four can stuff that run and we can have williams and darby on gronk. gilmore on edelman and they have nothing.

Belichek has wet dreams about Rex taking that view

Antwan Blake was bad. Real bad. I get that covering Edelman is a difficult task. But he whiffed on tackles and on Gronks TD on that hurry up play where they forgot to convert him, he literally jogged out to tackle him. The first defender couldn't bring him down, but slowed him. And Blake is just half ass trotting towards him and makes a weak attempt for Gronks legs at the 1. He could've had him out at the 2 or 3 if he actually tried. Rewatch that play and see. Just something I noticed and if he were a Bills player, I'd not want him playing.

I thought in general the Steelers played soft and lukewarm (in the Revelation 3:16 sense of the word). I didn't see urgency and passion. I saw miscommunication, missed coverage, poor game management, and missed opportunities to accompany the missed field goals.

Those picks his TEs and WRs set helps with his quick decision making

I've heard a lot of people talking about Pittsburgh being a Super Bow contender. People talk about how great their offense was last year and that they had a pretty good record. However, NOBODY seems to remember the schedule that AFC North teams played last year (AFC and NFC south). Only two of those teams had a winning record (and the only really good team was Indy). That was a ridiculously easy schedule. When all the prognosticators talk about Pittsburgh (and Cinti and Baltimore), they seem to forget how inflated those teams records were last year.

I agree on Pittsburgh and Cincinnati actually. I am more positive on Baltimore. I think they have rebuilt their team after taking it apart immediately after the Superbowl win and it is coming together nicely. They are my Superbowl from the AFC.

The steelers were having their way with the pats until that freaking gimmick play. Drive stalled and they end up missing a fg. Marv always said there is one point during the game where a team shows its true character and that can determine the outcome of the game. I thought right there the steelers lost the game. That type of early screw up can shake a team's confidence.

I somewhat agree. The first drive the Steelers were moving the ball at will on the Pats. A score there would've set the tone for the game and shut up the crowd a bit. Instead that gimmick play just fired up the crowd and the Pats even more. The missed FG as a result of that botched gimmick play was just the icing on the cake. All downhill after that, really. The tone was set.

I agree on Pittsburgh and Cincinnati actually. I am more positive on Baltimore. I think they have rebuilt their team after taking it apart immediately after the Superbowl win and it is coming together nicely. They are my Superbowl from the AFC.

They know how to win too. I know that sounds pretty cliché but some teams are just better prepared and mentally tougher. They are the anti-Bengals in that sense. When the playoffs start Baltimore is always a threat.

They know how to win too. I know that sounds pretty cliché but some teams are just better prepared and mentally tougher. They are the anti-Bengals in that sense. When the playoffs start Baltimore is always a threat.

And as I have said many times before, outside Belichick, Harbaugh is the best coach in the league.

what is sickening to me about that game..... I know preseason doesn't mean much.... but the way the Bills racked up points against them, the loss was not a surprise to those not in love with the Steelers.

Now after the Steelers crappy performance on D Tainted Brady looks like a God. :sick: :sick:

And yet that defense gave only 7 points in the 2nd half to a super hot Brady