Fred Says Whaley Dishonest With Him

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you following Tim Graham on Twitter...is anyone calling him out as a pyromaniacal hack?

I basically have. He muted me last night after I told him he was like a Chatty Cathy Doll that pulls her own string.

For those of you following Tim Graham on Twitter...is anyone calling him out as a pyromaniacal hack?

I don't follow him because he's a miserable jerk but there are loads of people tweeting him the definition of the word rogue.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I don't think Whaley acted unilaterally. This would be easy to understand if it wasn't Fred. One of the great underdogs of all time. Even the Bills kept trying to count him out. The first memory I have of Fred is a game against the Dolphins in Miami, he had a run where he carried what looked like the entire D about five yards.

So who is our number two back now?

Ha ha, we weren't allowed to use players in our marketing because the one year we had to re-do all of the in stadium stuff and leave the antiquated stuff printed at the beginning of he season (promos, tickets, etc..). It was a disaster and the owner was PISSED (Shinn). It is a factor. I don't think that a decision is ever made based on that no but it is something that both sides should have been aware of. Take it as a lesson learned.

And that is the point. Nobody likes surprises, especially those caused by coworkers.

went rogue? It's his job. He has control over the 53.

I guess I am not understanding the "went rogue" part... Rex has input, but Whaley makes final call on the 53. pegula said ok. I don't see the issue.

Some head coaches have control over the 53, Rex is not one of them.

If Rex and Roman want Freddie on the team, and whaley cuts them, I would consider that 'going rogue'

The coaches and FO and scouts all put in their 2 cents with regard to the roster. If there was any type of consensus that Freddie was going to make the team, and Whaley cut him behind everyone's back, that would be going rogue too

"@ByTimGraham: He deviated from the wishes of football ops and made the decision without any heads up. https://t.co/QJSbbUMTev"

Confirmation (as if it were still needed) that Whaley's unilateral decision to cut Fred was not a football decision, but a personal crusade. Very cowardly for a GM to cut players, especially such a prominent one, secretly against the wishes of the coach.

Sleazy overstepping like this makes one wonder if Marrone's decision to walk wasn't as unwarrented as it seemed.

1. I have no idea what Tim Graham means by "football ops" much the same way I had no idea what he meant by the word "rogue." Tim Graham needs to learn how to express himself clearly.

2. How can Whaley deviate from "football ops" when he HEADS "football ops"

3. How did Whaley make a unilateral decision when it's been noted he did in fact consult with ownership?

I agree with all of that. It is just a learning experience for all involved. Moving forward I am sure that the sponsor and marketing departments will be a little more cautious when putting this stuff together. As an example Watkins will almost certainly be here for a little while. There is a SMALL chance that Mario won't. Just be careful on the front end...

Kirby, maybe I missed it but what are you suggesting that Whaley should have done? Inform the sponsors of the move before he told Fred? Before he informed the league? I'm just curious.

I think there is a bit of confusion, that comment about Firing Whaley and rehiring FJ wasn't serious. It was a hypothetical to the situation of a GM going rogue and doing things without informing the owner. I don't actually believe Whaley went rogue.

next time you might just say what you mean...

And let's not forget that Whaley got up on Monday and delivered quite a performance at the press conference. If what Fred is saying is correct, Whaley felt inclined to appear saddened over the decision, yet knew all along what he wanted to do. I guess if this football thing doesn't work out he can try some casting calls in Hollywood.

Come on, man, you already know Whaley is just doing Rex's bidding -- it's what you've pontificated for months.

Define "the way he did."

You know, with words and stuff.

If Rex and Roman want Freddie on the team, and whaley cuts them, I would consider that 'going rogue'

The coaches and FO and scouts all put in their 2 cents with regard to the roster. If there was any type of consensus that Freddie was going to make the team, and Whaley cut him behind everyone's back, that would be going rogue too

I actually don't agree. Someone needs to make the final call where there is disagreement, and that person is Whaley. Since Rex and Whaley were the ones to sit down and tell Fred, it was not as if he went behind anyone's back either.

Graham has since clarified that it wasn't the coaching staff that was not involved. It was football ops.

I agree with all of that. It is just a learning experience for all involved. Moving forward I am sure that the sponsor and marketing departments will be a little more cautious when putting this stuff together. As an example Watkins will almost certainly be here for a little while. There is a SMALL chance that Mario won't. Just be careful on the front end...

And if there are rumors in March of a player being cut, stay away!

I was rogue all day yesterday, making decisions, keeping people in the loop - it was awful...

I actually have it on good accord that JJ Abrams is basing the new Star Wars on Doug Whaley!!

Star-Wars-Rogue-One.jpg

did you fire the guy that was the face of your company through its darkest times and was still productive, yesterday? very admirable.

did you fire the guy that was the face of your company through its darkest times and was still productive, yesterday? very admirable.

It happens every day at my company that high salaried employees who are replaceable with lower salaries employees are laid off. Longtime production and many awards later. Thank you for your service, it is time to move on.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I actually don't agree. Someone needs to make the final call where there is disagreement, and that person is Whaley. Since Rex and Whaley were the ones to sit down and tell Fred, it was not as if he went behind anyone's back either.

Graham has since clarified that it wasn't the coaching staff that was not involved. It was football ops.

maybe I'm just slow, but I still need clarity on what TG considers "football ops." Is Rex aware of this football ops?

Cutting Fred the way he did will be a permanent blight on his record.

How exactly should he have released him?

Waited until the next cutdown day on Saturday? When he would have had less of an opportunity to catch on with a contender like Seattle?

And if there are rumors in March of a player being cut, stay away!

Fred has been the spokesperson for M&T for many years. It isn't like they decided in 2015, let's hire Fred Jackson! He has a year left on his contract and is 34! But I agree, don't launch a new campaign this year 4 days before final cuts. Wait until next week. They didn't do that, so now just shoot a new commercial with Jack Eichel or Sammy Watkins or LeSean McCoy and move on.

1. I have no idea what Tim Graham means by "football ops" much the same way I had no idea what he meant by the word "rogue." Tim Graham needs to learn how to express himself clearly.

2. How can Whaley deviate from "football ops" when he HEADS "football ops"

3. How did Whaley make a unilateral decision when it's been noted he did in fact consult with ownership?

The logical guess is that football ops is Russ Brandon.

Fortunately I'm that guy at my company, so no...

Leo jumping in (to the original "gone rogue" post):

Leo Roth @leoroth

Loose lips...ghost of Marrone...same dysfunction, different year ... Grrrrrrrr

No.... he isn't. He is Managing Partner and President. Football Operations are these folks:

David Wheat Chief Administrative Officer Scott Berchtold Sr. VP of Communications Marc Honan Sr. VP of Media & Content Jim Overdorf Sr. VP of Football Administration Gregg Brandon General Counsel Dan Evans VP of Information Technology Gretchen Geitter VP of Community Relations Andy Major VP Operations and Guest Experience Erica Muhleman VP Corporate Partnerships Bill Munson VP of Government Relations and External Affairs

Tying it all together, M&T called and b*tched at one of them for not giving them a heads up and the Ops dept feel Whaley made them look bad.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That's the only thing that makes sense to me, too.

If Brandon is leaking his unhappiness about this to Graham, seriously bad move (on Brandon's part). But it could also be a lower level employee who heard Brandon venting and then leaked to Graham. Who knows?

If Brandon is not the one who is upset, and the coaching stuff was on board, then who the hell are we talking about?

I really hope that football ops ARE Whaley and Ryan and this is wordplay nonsense.

(Edit: Yolo's theory below about all the other people with ops responsibilities (e.g., marketing, contracts) - not overall ops oversight - does make sense too.)

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

No.... he isn't. He is Managing Partner and President. Football Operations are these folks:

Chuck LaMattina EVP of Finance & Business Operations, PSE Brent Rossi EVP of Marketing & Brand Strategy, PSE Frank Cravotta EVP of Creative Services, PSE Mark Preisler EVP of Media & Content, PSE Bruce Popko EVP of Business Development, PSE

Those folks probably report to Brandon, however.

And even so, I don't get it. Didn't TSW Nation come to a consensus a long time ago that they didn't want Russ involved in roster decisions??? Now that he's not, it's 'embarrassing' (TG's take) that he was left out of the loop?

Chuck LaMattina EVP of Finance & Business Operations, PSE Brent Rossi EVP of Marketing & Brand Strategy, PSE Frank Cravotta EVP of Creative Services, PSE Mark Preisler EVP of Media & Content, PSE Bruce Popko EVP of Business Development, PSE

Overheard in Whaley's office:

"Ok, who forgot to cc: that pederast Rossi on the cut Fred email?"