Fred Says Whaley Dishonest With Him

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you just compare arguably the greatest coach of all time to Doug Whaley?

No... I'm saying that the people worked up about Fred's release are thinking with their heart rather than their head. People are upset for emotional reasons rather than logic. Nobody criticizes the guys who are proven and make these decisions. Doug has to make bold yet emotional moves at some point.

No way, IMO. Roster decisions can't be made because of sponsor ad budgets. Full stop.

A company that ties its horse to any player/celebrity is always at risk the campaign will blow up due to on- or off the field factors.

And you are still missing the point. It's not just that the Bills cut Freddie, but how it was done. Apparently the process was short cut somehow, and people behind the scenes seem upset. If Whaley is the one who orchestrated the short cut, he will hear it from his boss, because his boss's job just got a little tougher.

No way, IMO. Roster decisions can't be made because of sponsor ad budgets. Full stop.

A company that ties its horse to any player/celebrity is always at risk the campaign will blow up due to on- or off the field factors.

It's bad business. You're right, roster decisions shouldn't be made with consideration of sponsors. You also shouldn't let your sponsor use a guy you've been thinking about cutting for 6 months.

Ok, I see we are in the Delusional stage of the coping process. Come on, guys. Pull it together for 12 more days. Then the season starts and we'll all have moved on.

Hang in there until the opener. Almost there.

Teams with talented rosters have to make tough cuts. It's the name of the game. Wish Fred wouldve stayed a little more professional on it, but emotions run high. Tim Graham is a little $#&*.

Edited by DrDareustein

No, why keep a 2.5m player who doesn't play ST on the active roster that doesn't really see the field.

Good depth in a make-or-break year when your entire RB corp has already had one injury scare each and Cierre Wood had to run with the first team for a month?

No... I'm saying that the people worked up about Fred's release are thinking with their heart rather than their head. People are upset for emotional reasons rather than logic. Nobody criticizes the guys who are proven and make these decisions. Doug has to make bold yet emotional moves at some point.

Without the say of the organization? When the goal is "win this season or bust"? When the goal is win now, not the future, not having FJ makes us worse this year.

And you are still missing the point. It's not just that the Bills cut Freddie, but how it was done. Apparently the process was short cut somehow, and people behind the scenes seem upset. If Whaley is the one who orchestrated the short cut, he will hear it from his boss, because his boss's job just got a little tougher.

I've read a lot of terrible arguments on here but dear lord- that we have to tell sponsors in advance of cuts is one of the most embarrassing assertions I've seen.

No offense (pun intended), but if you watched the games last year and thought "man, Fred just isn't very good", then you really don't know much about football. Not many RBs could be successful in that situation with that o-line, those QBs and those coaches. That's why objective fans were actually excited to see what Fred could do with a better supporting cast and some decent coaching this year.

Why do you keep bringing up the fact that he's 34? You do realize he has less career carries than McCoy, right?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I guess that's what's good about a public message board, but I can't disagree with your assessment enough about this being a good football and/or business decision. The guy can still flat out ball. And the money he makes is paltry in the grand scheme of things, especially with all the workarounds available with contracts.

First, I think the Bills' o line was just fine. Has been for a while.

Secondly, I'm 44, and I have no career carries. Does that mean my legs are fresh? McCoy is light years better than Fred ever dreamed of being and also better than most backs in today's game.

I appreciate your respectful post, as many have been complete dicks. So thank you. I simply don't think Fred can flat out ball anymore. I don't think he flat out balled last year.

The run game has to get younger and more explosive. Fred doesn't fit into that scheme. He is old and he is slow.

If you ask me in 20 years who my favorite Bills of all time are, Fred Jackson will be on the list without a doubt. I just don't think he is going to help this team win this year, or beyond.

And I think any Whaley or Ryan criticism is way off base. I hope Fred kicks ass for another team (who is not playing the Bills) but I just don't see that happening. I'd rather another team pay for that lack of production than the Bills. That's all I'm trying to say.

How certain are we that McCoy doesn't tweak something and miss two weeks, and we have a repeat of the slapdick 2 YPC crew 2 years running?

Fred is far more injury prone than McCoy. In fact that is the best reason to release him. He's had a serious injury each of the last three seasons and then this training camp. If you want to look at it realistically he's less reliable than Glass Goodwin.