Fred Says Whaley Dishonest With Him

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham wouldn't be saying that he heard from two sources that Whaley went rogue if there wasn't some truth to it.

My guess is that Whaley went through Pegulas but not through Ryan.

Not a chance. There is NO reason for him to do that. Why would he possibly ruin what is by all accounts, including Rex and Whaley's, a symbiotic relationship. If he really was going to do this "rogue," which is impossible for me to believe, he would have done it in the final cut not now. There is zero chance that Rex really wanted Fred and Whaley went rogue and cut him. Do you really believe that?

What I was saying was that, contrary to what you wrote, they certainly did give Fred the #1 nod.

Fred surplanted Lynch as the starter during the 2009 season and carried on as the undisputed starter through the 2010 & 2011 seasons.

I shouldn't have used #1 nod that was the wrong term(its late). And I was trying conveying for his prospective as that was the post's context I was taking from. See my comment to Kelly's post @Posted Today, 12:07 AM.

So you think he will have an injury because he hasn't had one yet? Got it. Good thinking.

C'mon Kelly. You know exactly what I mean and you know I have a point. Some guys get unlucky and some guys get lucky but everyone gets injured.

It's a numbers thing. Would you bet that Shady starts all 16 games this season? I wouldn't bet on any player in the NFL staving off injury, unless they weren't playing. Then again, you're still waving the Spiller flag.

I can't deny that question mark - but applying the same critical thought, if he's hurt how many games do you peg Fred as holding up?

Fred starting 2-3 games this year, I could see him staying healthy. Or getting 20% of offensive snaps. Fred clearly can't handle a 16 game season even as a 1A/B anymore.

Edited by FireChan

Realistically though, how many ST sales do they lose if they cut Fred in March instead of August? Maybe a couple hundred?

Folks can cancel their tickets, or better yet, burn them in a bonfire. No one has a gun to their heads making them go to games.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Apparently you can be, however.

TG's tweet has nothing in it about 'pissed off sponsors.' That's your own read on things--and as many have pointed out, a highly dubious POV...

He said it is embarrassing. And it doesn't take Einstein to figure out that the sponsor would be pissed that they have to stop a campaign that was scheduled to start today! . A campaign that was likely fully coordinated with the Bills marketing department.

Tim Graham ‏@ByTimGraham 27s27 seconds ago
"Being in the loop" would prevent one of Bills' biggest sponsors from launching expensive Fred Jackson ad campaign today. It's embarrassing.

So if I understand Timmah correctly, it's the GM's job to keep players who are part of sponsors ad campaigns?

I'm not going to do a huge "I told you so", but I told you all so. Whaley is an arrogant infant who deserves every morsel of the hate he surely will receive for this.

I love Fred, and I'm inclined to believe his version, but the "going rogue" thing sounds like interior power-play BS.

GMs make these calls and they are permitted to. When they aren't, that's when things go south.

Let him live by it, but I see zero to substantiate your statement, unless you're a big-time Marrone fan. Now there is a big ol' baby.

Tim Graham ‏@ByTimGraham 27s27 seconds ago

"Being in the loop" would prevent one of Bills' biggest sponsors from launching expensive Fred Jackson ad campaign today. It's embarrassing.

So if I understand Timmah correctly, it's the GM's job to keep players who are part of sponsors ad campaigns?

It's somebody's job to get the information from Whaley to try to avoid hiccups like that.

Not a chance. There is NO reason for him to do that. Why would he possibly ruin what is by all accounts, including Rex and Whaley's, a symbiotic relationship. If he really was going to do this "rogue," which is impossible for me to believe, he would have done it in the final cut not now. There is zero chance that Rex really wanted Fred and Whaley went rogue and cut him. Do you really believe that?

That's my conjecture.

Going rogue is a serious accusation, and if true, it is a big deal from any angle.

If Graham lied about it, the News should fire him on the spot. . But if he reported the truth, then it really doesn't matter who Whaley bypassed in the normal chain. It won't end well for him.

Last few seasons don't matter, this year is what matters.

McCoy, Williams for certain. Factoring in ST would put Dixon ahead of him too. And honestly, if Brown gets over the fumbling thing, I'd put him ahead to, but may not matter as Brown likely won't dress unless someone else gets hurt which would have been the same position for Freddy, not dressing for the game.

Just to clear things up, Fred fumbles more than Bryce Brown. I know, hard to believe, right?

I cant realistically think that Whaley did this without talking to rex/ownership. Whaley said he consulted with the pegulas about this. IF whaley did not consult with ownership but he publicly said he did, I would imagine he would get fired.

I think the "honesty" think fred was talking about had to do with something other than whaley not talking to ownership

It's not a hiccup...there is a difference between M&T sponsoring the Bills, and M&T hiring Fred to an endorsement deal...there is no way the team's business decisions require notice to a company that hires a player to an endorsement deal

No but if Brandon wasn't made aware of this and the sponsor has to eat a few million, they will make sure that Bills pay for it somewhere down the road. Whaley just made his bosses life a bit harder. And that always ends up well for the subordinate.

So are you arguing that Sales should have final say over roster decisions? I thought you didn't want Russ Brandon involved in personnel decisions?

He said it is embarrassing. And it doesn't take Einstein to figure out that the sponsor would be pissed that they have to stop a campaign that was scheduled to start today! . A campaign that was likely fully coordinated with the Bills marketing department.

You're putting your own spin on this (as TG gleefully rubs his hands togther).

As the poster who formerly worked at M&T stated a few pages back, the bank will just move on and create some new ads. It's just business, nothing personal. The outlay for a FJ campaign is likely a decimal point in their $60 million-plus advertising budget (2013 spending)...