Fred Says Whaley Dishonest With Him

My thoughts from the the Tim Graham comments:

- Rogue. An odd word to choice to use there, was that Grahams interpretation of the situation after his two sources told him what happened or was that the word the two sources used? I seriously doubt Whaley went "rogue", didn't inform Ryan, didn't inform the Pegula's or Russ Brandon, just called Fred into his office and told him he was cut. I think either the two sources used that word to describe the situation not really understanding it's definition or Graham intentionally used that word to sensationalize the situation.

- The comment about the sponsorship is ridiculous. The "it's embarrassing" is Grahams opinion of the situation. As I work in marketing there is nothing I see "embarrassing" about the situation for the Bills or for M&T bank, if that's who he's referring too.

As far as the Bucky article, a lot of it reads very complimentary of his time in Buffalo except for Fred taking a shot at Whaley. I don't get the comment that "Whaley was never honest with me." In what sense? Seems more of an emotional response than a fact.

Here's a comment from Thurman when he was cut:

"Those guys and the organization as a whole, every time I get the ball, I'm going to try to stick it and let them know I didn't forget what happened in the off-season and the past couple of years"

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What did he want to hear, exactly? Fred seems like a smart guy. I'm sure he can figure this out without Whaley telling him there's no room for an 34-year-old RB/locker room cheerleader when other, more important, players need to be extended. Common man.

You mean more important players like Boobie?

My thoughts from the the Tim Graham comments:

- Rogue. An odd word to choice to use there, was that Grahams interpretation of the situation after his two sources told him what happened or was that the word the two sources used? I seriously doubt Whaley went "rogue", didn't inform Ryan, didn't inform the Pegula's or Russ Brandon, just called Fred into his office and told him he was cut. I think either the two sources used that word to describe the situation not really understanding it's definition or Graham intentionally used that word to sensationalize the situation.

- The comment about the sponsorship is ridiculous. The "it's embarrassing" is Grahams opinion of the situation. As I work in marketing there is nothing I see "embarrassing" about the situation for the Bills or for M&T bank, if that's who he's referring too.

As far as the Bucky article, a lot of it reads very complimentary of his time in Buffalo except for Fred taking a shot at Whaley. I don't get the comment that "Whaley was never honest with me." In what sense? Seems more of an emotional response than a fact.

Here's a comment from Thurman when he was cut:

"Those guys and the organization as a whole, every time I get the ball, I'm going to try to stick it and let them know I didn't forget what happened in the off-season and the past couple of years"

This is the only thing that I don't get either. What would he have done in the past that would be dishonest?

What did he want to hear, exactly? Fred seems like a smart guy. I'm sure he can figure this out without Whaley telling him there's no room for an 34-year-old RB/locker room cheerleader when other, more important, players need to be extended. Common man.

yeah. let it go. 34 RB? nah. everyone got what they wanted out of that relationship. move on.

I'm not going to do a huge "I told you so", but I told you all so. Whaley is an arrogant infant who deserves every morsel of the hate he surely will receive for this.

I think that was a double negativo.

You know what? I'm really happy this morning. We have confirmation that the GM is not afraid to make difficult decisions to improve the overall football team, and better yet, confirmation that marketing and sales will absolutely not enter into that equation.

Timmah's tweet is another example of him absolutely despising Buffalo fans and taking any opportunity he gets to stir the pot.

There is NO way Whaley made this decision without Pegula and Rex input. No way -- not after the March debacle.

I like the poster (I'm sorry, I forget who said it) who inferred that this is a football decision in which Whaley has agreed to accept the role as bad cop so that Rex can be good cop. It makes complete sense. The Pegulas can comfortably say that they rely upon Whaley and Rex to do what's best for the football team and while Fred was a great Bill, they aren't going to let emotion override their football people.

On to Indianapolis.

Edited by eball

This is the only thing that I don't get either. What would he have done in the past that would be dishonest?

To me it comes off as more of an emotional comment than a factual one. Whaley signed off on Freds extension last July, when there wasn't an owner to push him to do that. And if it was Russ Brandon pushing him to do it, that would open up a whole other issue of Brandon interfering with football decisions. Whaley didn't have to do that, they could have let Freds contract just run out.

I think it's possible Whaley has told Fred, more than a couple times, he wants to see him retire a Bill or that he always wants him to be a Bill. As I'm sure many people inside the organization have told Fred that. Now, Whaley cuts Fred and all of a sudden Whaley wasn't being honest the entire time he was there because he told Fred he always wanted him to be a Bill.

I guess I am not understanding the "went rogue" part... Rex has input, but Whaley makes final call on the 53. pegula said ok. I don't see the issue.

Some head coaches have control over the 53, Rex is not one of them.

indeed, I doubt he just walks into the room and tells the coaches who they should keep and who should be cut. Has a say? Yes. Absolute power? No.

To me it comes off as more of an emotional comment than a factual one. Whaley signed off on Freds extension last July, when there wasn't an owner to push him to do that. And if it was Russ Brandon pushing him to do it, that would open up a whole other issue of Brandon interfering with football decisions. Whaley didn't have to do that, they could have let Freds contract just run out.

I think it's possible Whaley has told Fred, more than a couple times, he wants to see him retire a Bill or that he always wants him to be a Bill. As I'm sure many people inside the organization have told Fred that. Now, Whaley cuts Fred and all of a sudden Whaley wasn't being honest the entire time he was there because he told Fred he always wanted him to be a Bill.

Good points!

Freddie one of my all time favorites, but I agree totally. It was the end of the line. Doesn't mean its the end regarding some other capacity for Freddie with the Bills in the future.

Actually I did. I would simply say "no." As for protocol, sales was not to impinge on programming. Just like sales in the Bills case is not to impinge on personnel decisions. Beyond that I don't get your point. That sales people would be unhappy? Okay, they're unhappy. What did you want Doug Whaley to do about it?

Apparently drugs job is to keep everyone happy at all times.

Forget that making tough choices that he believes will lead to wins is the best way to do that.

Myself and RTDB both speculate wildly that it could be as simple as "we want you to retire a bill" and then deciding to make the move instead of offering Freddy an 8 year extension at vet minimum

Does that mean Kyle Williams is on the clock?

i don't know. Whaley was very public in his comments about Kyle (and Mario) retiring there. Nothing is written in stone, but the difference is that Kyle is a multi year pro bowler and considered an elite player at his position. As much as we love Fred and know what he could do, he was never at that level at his position. If/when Kyle isn't a starter anymore or playing at a high level this issue will arise. Edited by YoloinOhio