Fred Says Whaley Dishonest With Him

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No but if Brandon wasn't made aware of this and the sponsor has to eat a few million, they will make sure that Bills pay for it somewhere down the road. Whaley just made his bosses life a bit harder. And that always ends up well for the subordinate.

Tough. It's a risk the bank took, just like they did with Ray Rice in Baltimore.

If Whaley's making roster decisions based on the team's advertisers then just blow the whole thing up and go watch soccer...

How is it possible if this is Rex's team and call for a GM to "go rogue?"

I don't understand what you're saying here. Regardless, i initially thought it was rex who was behind this, but it appears i was wrong. It's apparently whaley, and bryce brown is apparently a factor. I don't like that, largely because i don't think brown is good. I also think that chip kelly is smarter than whaley (i think he's smarter than most gms), and I trust his judgment on offensive players. I don't see brown in the league three years from now. Do you?

The other thing that struck me is that bucky gleason in his column said today that whaley was lobbying for manuel to get the starting job but it went to taylor. I don't think ej is the worst thing in the world or anything like that, but it is a bit disturbing because taylor looks to be better. I think most rational observers would agree that he has the most upside at present. Now I did take this with a grain of salt because, well, it is bucky gleason.

Anyway, some gms love their guys to a fault. Whaley may well be one of them.

Edited by dave mcbride

It's playing ability combined with cost relative to the investment in other assets. Convince me how Bryce Brown deserves a spot on this roster over Fred

I would have kept Fred myself. But I can make a convincing argument for it.

Karlos Williams looked very good in OTAs and in camp and especially in his first game. Fred is very injury prone. He's been seriously injured three years in a row and was hurt in training camp. Karlos all but beat Fred out as the #2 because of his fresh legs, speed, and ST ability. If McCoy goes down Fred is not able to carry the load of 15-20 carries a game. Karlos is a rookie and cannot be counted on either. Dixon is a monster on ST and a decent #3 and Fred Jackson Lite as far as an emotional leader and good locker room guy.

You can only keep three and maybe four RB, and you will only dress three. Karlos is going to be one of the three because of ST play. Is Fred Jackson going to get more yards on 50 carries than Karlos Williams? I'm not sure. I think Karlos beat him out for #2 and a few reporters said as much.

I think more people would be okay with this if the team wasn't basically choosing Bryce over Freddy. Seems silly, both in the short and long-term.

There is literally no long term with Fred. That's a big part of the issue. Heck, as much as I love the player his short term is not even certain.

Good GMs think short term, mid term and long term all at the same time. Tough choices need to be made. No one makes the right one all the time.

Whaley's most likely thinking extension, and if I were a betting man would say his deal runs through the 2015 league year.

People have already forgotten the comment from January when Whaley inadvertently used the term "blame" in discussing the Manuel pick. This is a GM who knows his career hangs in the balance and he's going to go down with the players he's acquired.

Tough. It's a risk the bank took, just like they did with Ray Rice in Baltimore.

If Whaley's making roster decisions based on the team's advertisers then just blow the whole thing up and go watch soccer...

Pro football is a public relations business and a popularity contest. It's also about winning, but i think it's pretty clear that jackson is more valuable/better than dixon/brown, so that's not an issue here. The first part is, and the gm screwed it up. It's not a huge deal, but it's not nothing either.

Karlos Williams looked very good in OTAs and in camp and especially in his first game. Fred is very injury prone. He's been seriously injured three years in a row and was hurt in training camp. Karlos all but beat Fred out as the #2 because of his fresh legs, speed, and ST ability. If McCoy goes down Fred is not able to carry the load of 15-20 carries a game. Karlos is a rookie and cannot be counted on either. Dixon is a monster on ST and a decent #3 and Fred Jackson Lite as far as an emotional leader and good locker room guy.

You can only keep three and maybe four RB, and you will only dress three. Karlos is going to be one of the three because of ST play. Is Fred Jackson going to get more yards on 50 carries than Karlos Williams? I'm not sure. I think Karlos beat him out for #2 and a few reporters said as much.

Not a word on Bryce in the post.

Didn't we give an insane amount of crap to Marrone about having so many guys on the roster just to shore up ST? And now?

Edited by FireChan

The bills will keep 4 rbs if roman's track record is indicative. Dixon is not a good rb, and he's slower than fred. Edited by dave mcbride

And to a degree he may be a better complement. Freddy could be a productive third down back but if shady is that guy- Fred's role gets small quick. If Williams becomes the thunder to McCoys Lightning the sum of the groups production may be higher, even if Freddy is a better player (which isn't given)

No but if Brandon wasn't made aware of this and the sponsor has to eat a few million, they will make sure that Bills pay for it somewhere down the road. Whaley just made his bosses life a bit harder. And that always ends up well for the subordinate.

Whaley also put together a team and coaching staff that sold record season tickets this year, so I'd hope Russ could consider it a wash.

I think more people would be okay with this if the team wasn't basically choosing Bryce over Freddy. Seems silly, both in the short and long-term.

We really don't at all know that they are. In my mind, because we want to keep an extra WR and an extra TE and maybe Thigpen to return that we are only going to keep three RB like most teams do.

There is literally no long term with Fred. That's a big part of the issue. Heck, as much as I love the player his short term is not even certain.

If past history for scrub rbs is any guide, there is no long term for dixon or brown either. I'll be surprised if either is in the league in 3 years time.

And to a degree he may be a better complement. Freddy could be a productive third down back but if shady is that guy- Fred's role gets small quick. If Williams becomes the thunder to McCoys Lightning the sum of the groups production may be higher, even if Freddy is a better player (which isn't given)

McCoy will not be coming off the field on 3rd down.

Whaley's most likely thinking extension, and if I were a betting man would say his deal runs through the 2015 league year.

People have already forgotten the comment from January when Whaley inadvertently used the term "blame" in discussing the Manuel pick. This is a GM who knows his career hangs in the balance and he's going to go down with the players he's acquired.

Right. He only thinks about himself and not what is best for the team.

This kind of thing is so stupid I don't even know why I respond. He's going to do something selfish, that is going to make the team WORSE, so he can personally get an extension?

If Whaley's making roster decisions based on the team's advertisers then just blow toe whole thing up and go watch soccer...

Apples and oranges. Sponsors work with the team PR department on all the campaigns, because the tab had to approve any usage of Bills and NFL trademarks.

If Fred hit his wife that risk is on the bank. But this is different and the bank will be bitching in Brandon's office tomorrow morning. Whether they took the risk is immaterial. Brandon will get an earful and will have to satisfy a major sponsor, somehow. If he was in the dark about this move, Whaley's in for an earful too

You don't want to make your boss's life harder